Installation with Factory Car Stereo

resqguy

Dec 13, 2009
I am fairly certain that Santa will be bring me a Starmate 5 for Christmas. I am new here and new to satellite radio as well.

I bought the unit from Crutchfield along with the install kit and installation. Being the control freak that I am I still want to do my homework ahead of time to make sure the installation meets my expectations. I would normally do it myself but I'm not comfortable ripping into my dash.

My car is a 2007 Pacifica and it already has an AM/FM/CD and 6 disk CD/DVD changer in place that I am happy with.

I would like the Starmate to integrate into the existing unit as cleanly as possible. There is a "Mode" switch that is used to slect between bands and the CD/DVD. I was hoping the factory unit will have an available AUX input that can also be controlled by the "Mode" switch.

I would also like to avoid using one of my power outlets, if possible. I know the DC adapter for the Starmate has a step down from 12V to 5V in it. Are there DC adapters available that will allow me to connect directly to a 12V source in my car?

Is there anything else that I should be aware of concerning an install?

Thanks.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not sure from your description whether or not you have an aux input or not. It will sound much better if you do.

A professional installer can give you a clean install including running the power so that you don't have to use one of your plugs. Try and get it set up for 'always on' so that you can pause the radio if you are out of your car during the day.

Enjoy!

resqguy

Dec 13, 2009
There is no aux port on the front. There are A/V RCA jacks but I think they are outputs.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
There is no aux port on the front. There are A/V RCA jacks but I think they are outputs.

Perhaps it has aux ports in the back of the unit. If not, you will need to either use a cassette deck adapter or the FM transmitter. If you need the latter, you would be much better off with one of the new Power Connect models (Stratus 6, XM Onyx) over the Starmate.

If you have to use the FM transmitter and get the Starmate, then you also want an FM Direct Adapter.

resqguy

Dec 13, 2009
Just to update my post. The radio in my Pacifica has two sets of RCA plugs. I tested them both with my iPod and they are indeed L&R inputs. The trick is that the iPod has to be turned all the way up and if the cable is connected to the radio before power up the AUX mode will appear as a selection in the mode switch. Works like a charrm.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just to update my post. The radio in my Pacifica has two sets of RCA plugs. I tested them both with my iPod and they are indeed L&R inputs. The trick is that the iPod has to be turned all the way up and if the cable is connected to the radio before power up the AUX mode will appear as a selection in the mode switch. Works like a charrm.

That is good news, because aux-input is always the best way to go. No way today I could settle for FM transmission.

resqguy

Dec 13, 2009
Well the installer wore me down and convinced me to use the antenna connection. He said that the wired FM modulator is a good way to go. It actually did work until I tried to listen to AM. The AM reception is almost non-existant.

Do these in line things normally kill AM, do they need to be adjusted, or are they just junk?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Well the installer wore me down and convinced me to use the antenna connection. He said that the wired FM modulator is a good way to go. It actually did work until I tried to listen to AM. The AM reception is almost non-existant.

Do these in line things normally kill AM, do they need to be adjusted, or are they just junk?

Yes, they do kill AM for some reason. Under normal operation, the FM modulator is the way to go.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK

Here is what I know in my 2 vehicles that I have the modulator installed -

* '03 Ford Taurus - AM reception killed whether or not I have the Satellite radio on.
* '08 Kia Sedona - AM reception killed with Satellite radio on / AM reception fine with Satellite radio off.

I have no clue why there is a difference in the behavior between the two vehicles. I never listen to AM anyway, so in my case it isn't an issue. I can see why it is annoying though.

tssrich

Feb 3, 2010
www.tss-radio.com
the reason why the installer was so passionate about adding the FM relay (FMDA25) is because the FM wireless transmitters are weak. The relay is basically a T-harness that goes in between the FM tuner (in the Taurus the tuner is in the trunk) and the radio, making the wireless transmitter a HARD wired FM MODULATOR. It can effect AM reception, sometimes.