Inno or XMP3

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
During the holidays I recorded the top 300 70’s countdown in the XM MyFi. I know it did not record it all. The listened to a little in the pole barn garage this week. Did not sound real good but was listenable with great tunes. I can understand where you are coming from for sure concerning g sound quality.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ok thanks. I feel better now. I didn't notice any change from 2020. The moment I went to all access from a 6 month select it sounded bad. Howard sounded bad and then everything sounded bad. I thought maybe they're trying to slowly let the old radios fade out like apple does with their updates. But it sounded just as bad in the wife's car. I sent a letter and cried and moaned to the tech team. Maybe it's sounded bad for a while? The portable only had select (and I didn't notice it?), the app sounds less bad (which I used for stern) but never noticed it in the wife's car because I don't drive her car. Maybe I've been insulated for the slide downward in quality. But my new car had a 3 month all access run from November-February and things sounded normal, but maybe not. I'm all sorts of confused.

At this very moment I'm considering loading on of these players with all access. I just need to get away from the phone usage and have a dedicated player.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Ok thanks. I feel better now. I didn't notice any change from 2020. The moment I went to all access from a 6 month select it sounded bad. Howard sounded bad and then everything sounded bad. I thought maybe they're trying to slowly let the old radios fade out like apple does with their updates. But it sounded just as bad in the wife's car. I sent a letter and cried and moaned to the tech team. Maybe it's sounded bad for a while? The portable only had select (and I didn't notice it?), the app sounds less bad (which I used for stern) but never noticed it in the wife's car because I don't drive her car. Maybe I've been insulated for the slide downward in quality. But my new car had a 3 month all access run from November-February and things sounded normal, but maybe not. I'm all sorts of confused.

At this very moment I'm considering loading on of these players with all access. I just need to get away from the phone usage and have a dedicated player.
I'm not exactly sure this is related, but I've been streaming with the phone app in the car for a long time, while my wife always has a new car with sat built-in. Her car sounds fine. But I recently bought a low-mileage older car (2008), and activated the 3-month free trial on the built-in sat. It sounded bad: muddy, boomy, glassy, smeared. In comparison, streaming in the car sounds great: super clean, punchy, detailed. I let the trial run out.

So my conclusion is that streaming sounds good - given a decent data signal, and newer satellite radios sound good. But old satellite radios sound bad.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't want to jinx myself, but the only lower sound quality I've noticed lately is from the DJ's doing their shows from home.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Hmm, ya glassy smeared muddy and boomy is right on. Maybe you're right. My car is a 2013. I didn't hear crap while the 3 month trial was going. That doesn't explain the phone on bluetooth to an ace receiver, nor does it resolve why a 2018 mazda sounds horrible as well.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Just now I noticed the helix is on the 1.10 firmware, which might be the first? The inno which I updated a long time ago is at 2.11. The inno sounds better on the doctor and preview channels. That might be it? The wife's car still sounds poor. I guess I'll load up the inno once more and see what it sounds like.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ok so I saw that the Helix update was 1.10 maybe where it started when purchased where the inno is at 2.11, which I updated a long time ago. I couldn't find a way to update the helix. I got a year all access deal on the inno just now. It does sound better. Howard sounds better but some of the music channels still sound off which is whatever. The Helix simply has more punch to it and without any updates I think it struggled after I went all access on it. I give allowance for most of the talk shows being done from home. Howard still has a noticeable hiss when the discussion lags. It's quite loud and I don't hear it on any of the talk channels what so ever. They got so much going on maybe no one hears it, and his callers are the worst sounding on any talk channel on the service.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Yep I confirmed it. During the ham hands clips on wednesday's stern show howard was live and then played a clip of ham hands and his nurse discussing his doodie. The call was from november and howard's and robins vocals come before the clip. It sounds real nice then back to current day and sounds crappy. Check it out.