In-dash stereo for Sirius

dyzir13

Nov 28, 2009
I am completely new at this, so please bear with me and help me out in anyway you can. I am looking for a decent, yet afforadable in-dash stereo to install in my 2007 Nissan Frontier. This JVC KW-XG500 unit is at the top of my list for right now. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5opNL8S7lyt/p_105KWGX500/JVC-KW-XG500.html

However, I have one main concern. I've had a Starmate and Sportster for a few years. With this in-dash unit will I still have the same features and functions? Will I be able to see the artist and song display? Pause and rewind music?

If anyone knows of any better stereos please let me know. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
no rewind/FF but other than that I believe you are good to go. Also this unit has the AUX IN port in the front so you can add the sat radio that way also BUT I believe you are looking for a cleaned up look. Wire free deal.

There are some beauty deals on Crutchfield. The Clarion double din looks the nuts too Clarion DUZ385SAT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

dyzir13

Nov 28, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. I am definitley looking for the cleaned up look. I'm finding it difficult to choose an in-dash stereo because I am not able to actually see how they look installed and how they operate connected to Sirius.

The Clarion looks pretty nice, but I think the JVC will look better in my truck.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Except for some of the new OEM models being installed in new cars, you will get 0.0 features on an in-dash Sirius deck.

You'll get either 8 or 16 characters scrolling on the screen with either artist/title or channel name, and that's about it.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I actually put in a JVC deck that I purchased from Crutchfield back in 2007. Crutchfield is great and the install in my 2003 VW passat was a breeze. I highly recommend them if you are interested in an aftermarket stereo install. Prices are good and you can save on parts/adapter and install labor costs. Hopefully your Frontier isn't too bad to get hooked up with.

As far as the JVC itself, mine has been working flawlessly for 2yrs now. I have the dedicated SIRIUS tuner under the dash for the same reason as you; clean look. I installed it myself as well. Yea, you will lose the DVR like functions (FF/RW), but I haven't really missed it. besides, do you REALLY want to be fuddling with trying to FF or RW something while driving on the highway? That's how I have looked at it at least. It does display song and channel info though. Mine is an older all-in-one SIRIUS tuner in one box and no problems for 2+yrs now. Even had it another vehicle. The newer ones they are now selling are two piece units (tuner & brand specific adapters) so not sure how their quality and reliability has been since I don't have experience with them.

I was actually considering that JVC double DIN unit and sort of now wish I went with it. At the time, it was $100 more than what I got (KD-AR880) so I didn't get it. Mine has bluetooth, AUX and front USB and these are definitely features I like. I also have the JVC MP3 cd changer hooked up in the back as well. You might even want to consider this JVC double DIN as this is the one I have eyed several times. Has just about everything you would need & gets rave reviews:

JVC KW-XG700 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Bottom line is that I have been very happy with my JVC installed stereo & think you will too.

Last edited: