I'm worried about getting Slacker radio to work right

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I am thinking seriously about a Slacker radio, but I am worried that I will have a difficult time getting it set up and loaded. I have no wireless internet subscription or provider, so I'll have to use my USB port. I'm worried my Windows Defender firewall will be stubborn. I'm worried that the IP address Slacker uses will be rejected by my computer as already in use, and that I'll have a hard time getting around this. Are these legitimate worries? Or should I not worry?

drowe

Oct 14, 2008
The only real worry is if you have a device on your network with the IP address of 192.168.0.1. Other than that, it should install fine. The software creates an internet sharing connection and that is already accounted for in windows so there shouldn't be a problem. It takes a few minutes to get everything started and running so don't panic. I got over anxious when I first set mine up with usb and tried to tweak/force it and found it was just better to let it take it's time. Go for it!

mjones73

Jan 8, 2009
North East, MD
The Slacker G2 wireless update uses a Wifi network, not a subscription based wireless service, basically add a wireless access point or router to your home network and your set. As for USB.

1) Can't comment on the firewall.

2) If your not using a router or your router isn't using 192.168.0.1 as it's default address you'll be fine. If it is 192.168.0.1, it's a matter of changing it on the router to something as simple as 192.168.1.1 and restarting your PC(s) to pick up new addresses via DHCP or changing them if they are static.

If you run into problems, you can get help here or at the slacker forums pretty easily.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well there isn't a whole lot anyone can say because every one has their own unique setup, but generally speaking as long as the ICM IP address is not being used by the modem or router you'll be in good shape.

Oct 29, 2008
I think the OP should not stress ahead of time, and buy the darn thing. Issues can be worked out. Your home network is unique. So you'll make changes based on your networks needs. Hell I did not make any changes to my network. Refreshing worked flawless from the very first day. Besides how will you know the results if you don't own the device ? Slacker store offers a thirty day trial. BB accepts returns within a certain period of time. So whats stopping you ?

To every problem is a solution.......

willie321

Oct 18, 2008
Pennsylvania
Having been down the usb road as the OP expressed, once I played around and changed the router address all has been well. I use both McAfee and Windows Defender and neither barked once usb was established. I do have a wireless connection so usb was not necessary, but I had to try it out as I'm a tech "wannabe." Well worth the investment IMHO...

Reactions: DAB

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Having been down the usb road as the OP expressed, once I played around and changed the router address all has been well. I use both McAfee and Windows Defender and neither barked once usb was established. I do have a wireless connection so usb was not necessary, but I had to try it out as I'm a tech "wannabe." Well worth the investment IMHO...
Thanks willie that is a great report and since you are using the same software he was referring to that should give him a sense of relief.

Now order the darn thing Bandit! LOL :yesshake:

mjones73

Jan 8, 2009
North East, MD
I ran into the IP address problem at my in-laws, I got the Slacker from them for Christmas, figured I was gonna be there awhile so I installed the software, started my first refresh and ran into the error. About 5 minutes later I had found the solution on slacker's forums and had their router reconfigured and I was on my way. On my network I had to reduce my wifi security from WPA2 to WPA and I was good to go for wireless updates. Each setup is going to be different, I agree with everyone else, buy it and go from there.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. Now once I get it and get it working, I'll listen with headphones mostly out on the go and in the home, or maybe throug my boombox at home. I have my XM radio in my car, and it might be tricky anyway if I wanted to listen to Slacker there. I think it is illegal here to listen to headphones while driving, so I'd have to play Slacker through the radio. Years ago, I used to have a portable CD player that I played with a cassette adapter and a thing you stuck in the cigarette lighter. My XM radio also came with these, which is weird now as who the hell still has a cassette player in their car? But I was wondering if I could get something similar with a CD adapter instead of casette and listen to Slacker in the car through my CD player? Or would I be better off purchasing an FM modulator?

drowe

Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. Now once I get it and get it working, I'll listen with headphones mostly out on the go and in the home, or maybe throug my boombox at home. I have my XM radio in my car, and it might be tricky anyway if I wanted to listen to Slacker there. I think it is illegal here to listen to headphones while driving, so I'd have to play Slacker through the radio. Years ago, I used to have a portable CD player that I played with a cassette adapter and a thing you stuck in the cigarette lighter. My XM radio also came with these, which is weird now as who the hell still has a cassette player in their car? But I was wondering if I could get something similar with a CD adapter instead of casette and listen to Slacker in the car through my CD player? Or would I be better off purchasing an FM modulator?
There isn't anything I know of that will let you listen through the CD. Your best bet is to plug it into an AUX port on your radio. If, like me, you don't have one, a FM transmitter will give you about the same sound quality as your XM FM adapter. There are some direct connect setups available, but with your XM it probably isn't worth the trouble. I use my Sirius 99% of the time when I'm in the car and a FM transmitter when I listen to my G2.

David

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
But I was wondering if I could get something similar with a CD adapter instead of casette and listen to Slacker in the car through my CD player? Or would I be better off purchasing an FM modulator?
No but many OEM radios have available aux-input adapters that can make use of a CD input on the back of the head unit. I have both my cars setup with these and this gives me the needed aux-input from my OEM head units. Well both of them already had aux-inputs, but I wanted two one for my Slacker, one for my Sat Radio. So now that is what I have by pushing a button on the OEM head unit.

What kind of vehicle do you have? Year and Make and Model!

oncesir

Nov 12, 2008
I recently pulled the trigger on the G2 after all the SATRAD changes at Xm and its been the best $200 I've spent in a long time. Setup was a PITA on my laptop but I do have wireless at my house but neither would connect. I'm not a comp guy at all but I have alot of basic computer knowledge and after about 5 total hours of trying different things I finally got it. I have MCafee and Windows Defender and both were the firewall that prevented my USB hookup. After finally getting the USB connection to work I updated everything and now my wifi connection works perfectly. Every time I walk into my house its already auto refreshing. I love this thing. I modded my old XM roady carkit to work with the belt clip and my tomtom charger plugs right in. It goes everywhere with me.

A little food for thought. I listened for nearly 12 hours today and not 1 repeated song. That alone was well worth the time I had into the setup process. Buy one, you wont be sorry.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
No but many OEM radios have available aux-input adapters that can make use of a CD input on the back of the head unit. I have both my cars setup with these and this gives me the needed aux-input from my OEM head units. Well both of them already had aux-inputs, but I wanted two one for my Slacker, one for my Sat Radio. So now that is what I have by pushing a button on the OEM head unit.

What kind of vehicle do you have? Year and Make and Model!
1999 Pontiac Bonneville

oncesir

Nov 12, 2008
If it has a cassette player (which most older GM cars do)you can use one of the older XM cassette hookups. It has a headphone/input jack that will plug into the G2. I use that method out in my garage on an old Sony radio. Works great. If you dont have one then ebay is your friend.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I do not have a casette player. I have a CD playerf. But I think I can use the same FM modulator thingie hooked into my XM radio to play my Slacker radio in my car. Just take it out of the XM radio and put it into the Slacker. I hope it is that simple.

mjones73

Jan 8, 2009
North East, MD
You talking about the box that goes inline between your antenna and the radio and then plugs into your XM Radio? Won't work, the modulator is built into the XM radio.

You would need to buy an FM modulator or swap out the radio with one with aux inputs.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I'll buy an FM modulator...sounds a lot cheaper than getting a whole new radio installed. Thanks for the help, guys.