I'm Surprised!

rpokane

Oct 27, 2008
I thought there would be more of an uproar over losing Pop2K!
To me, the channel is actually a "Decades" channel and should have stayed. It was somewhere between Hits1 and Pulse. They should have at least kept it online.
Another channel is AudioVisions (XM). This was a great channel for late at night when you were wide-awake. I don't think there ever was a real replacement for this one.
Anyone else miss these?

magleamin7

Oct 31, 2008
Nova Scotia
I did write to the programmers about POP2K, but this was the reponse that I got back....

Thanks for taking the time to write about Pop2K. This channel, formerly known as XM Hitlist, became available to Sirius subscribers on November 12th during the merging of the two networks.

Sirius is responding to listener feedback about the removal of Strobe (classic dance) and Backspin (classic hip hop) and those channels are now available again on the Sirius network. Strobe can be found on Sirius 81 and Backspin is available where Pop2K was on Sirius 39.

Unfortunately, Pop2K will only be available on XM radios on Channel 30. Much of the music heard on Pop2K can be found on other Sirius channels including The Pulse (Sirius 12), Sirius Hits 1 and The Heat (Sirius 50).

I apologize for the inconvenience and hope you’ll stick around as a Sirius subscriber.

Best regards,

Jon

Jon Zellner
Senior Vice President
Music Programming
Sirius XM Radio

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Sirius is responding to listener feedback about the removal of Strobe (classic dance) and Backspin (classic hip hop) and those channels are now available again on the Sirius network. Strobe can be found on Sirius 81 and Backspin is available where Pop2K was on Sirius 39.

Unfortunately, Pop2K will only be available on XM radios on Channel 30. Much of the music heard on Pop2K can be found on other Sirius channels including The Pulse (Sirius 12), Sirius Hits 1 and The Heat (Sirius 50).

Really? I wonder if these corporate bigwigs actually own Stilettos. ;)

jnockels

Mar 1, 2009
Yankton, SD
There was quite an uproar when Sirius took off Backspin. I think they were just trying to do the right thing and listen to their subscribers who wanted it back "on the air".
There is only so much room for channels and pop2k was a little too similar to Sirius Hits 1.

If nothing else, it was nice to see Sirius respond to subscribers wishes. I wish they would bring back the Punk Channel. I guess old school rappers have better letter writing campaigns than old school punkers do.

rpokane

Oct 27, 2008
I hear ya...Punk on Sirius was OK, but Brutus on Fungus XM53 was the best!

Then again, I still miss Lucy :(

Nov 9, 2008
nj
smoke and mirrors

What did we actually get as SIRIUS subscribers thanks t this merger>>>?????
They took away Pop2K,and Cinemagic (two xm channels I didnt mind)
Killed all out favorite channels with xm clones.
It now takes 90 percent longer to get someone on the phone.
Channel IDs still dont match.
More artist only channels.
Someone please explain what exactly we got as an ADVANTAGE?

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

I agree 100%. Sirius subscribers got nothing. They best of XM is a joke and I can't believe there are people that want it. First off no baseball and they took away the good XM music channels. I guess if you like Oprah and O&A your happy. I still find it hard to believe. I remember there wasn't many people that would pay the $1.99 for O&A. With the new Mirage radio out(Looks like a great radio) there is no incentive to bring baseball over to Sirius subscibers now. Also I can't believe all the lower prices..... Oh wait a sec they went up. :rolleyes:

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
We get the NBA as part of the best of oh wait we should have gotten that anyway. Damn! We still don't get MLB, one of the top XM products. Think if XM didn't get the NFL or Howard? I bet people would be pissed then. Oh never mind they wouldn't be to many people are pissed at xm for getting rid of WLW which wasn't there fault anyway. I am no going to threaten to cancel though I love the service, but I think we got screwed in the end. I have both btw and find myself just listening to xm now of days, because I truely get everything.

magleamin7

Oct 31, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah we totally got screwed....I do however lisen to NHL Home Ice alot but it would have been better if we cold get the live MLB games. Oh well I am satisfied with what we have, to be honest theirs only a handful of channels I actually lisen to ex: Hits 1, 90s on 9, Classic rewind, blue colar radio.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
There was quite an uproar when Sirius took off Backspin. I think they were just trying to do the right thing and listen to their subscribers who wanted it back "on the air".
There is only so much room for channels and pop2k was a little too similar to Sirius Hits 1.

If nothing else, it was nice to see Sirius respond to subscribers wishes. I wish they would bring back the Punk Channel. I guess old school rappers have better letter writing campaigns than old school punkers do.

Yeah. Between Pop2K, the Pulse, Sirius Hits 1, and 90's on 9, doesn't that seem a bit overkill? Do we really need FOUR channels of modern pop and Top 40? I'm sure a lot of people like Top 40 (that's why it's TOP 40), but four channels of it does seem a bit overkill.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, but you don't think that XM fans are complaining about "Sirius clones killing our XM channels?"

And channel IDs don't match? Check the company's stock price. Should they really be focusing on getting the music channels matching up across both dials when the stock is below 50 cents?

...because Lithium being channel 54 on XM AND Sirius is sooooo friggin' important now.

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I agree 100%. Sirius subscribers got nothing. They best of XM is a joke and I can't believe there are people that want it. First off no baseball and they took away the good XM music channels. I guess if you like Oprah and O&A your happy. I still find it hard to believe. I remember there wasn't many people that would pay the $1.99 for O&A. With the new Mirage radio out(Looks like a great radio) there is no incentive to bring baseball over to Sirius subscibers now. Also I can't believe all the lower prices..... Oh wait a sec they went up. :rolleyes:

Additional radios went up $2 a month. This is an optional feature. You don't have to have two radios? A SL2/100/10 or S50 can work in the car, home, and on the go.

The free online listening went away, but I was able to complain and I got to keep it for a few months. But, from all reports i've heard, the premium internet is well worth the money at 128K. Once again, this is an optional feature.

For people who don't want Howard or sports, the ability to pick-and-choose various channels through the "Mostly ..." or ala carte packages, those prices are way low. This is a good thing since there's probably a lot of people who may not want to subscribe for Howard. Unfortunately with the current economic status, there's probably not a lot of people spending $300 on a radio package.

The price for one radio is the same it's been since before 2005.

It sounds to me like you'd be happier with an XM radio.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Additional radios went up $2 a month. This is an optional feature. You don't have to have two radios? A SL2/100/10 or S50 can work in the car, home, and on the go.

The free online listening went away, but I was able to complain and I got to keep it for a few months. But, from all reports i've heard, the premium internet is well worth the money at 128K. Once again, this is an optional feature.

For people who don't want Howard or sports, the ability to pick-and-choose various channels through the "Mostly ..." or ala carte packages, those prices are way low. This is a good thing since there's probably a lot of people who may not want to subscribe for Howard. Unfortunately with the current economic status, there's probably not a lot of people spending $300 on a radio package.

The price for one radio is the same it's been since before 2005.

It sounds to me like you'd be happier with an XM radio.

Don't get me wrong I love the XM radios,but I really don't want XM unless they get all the great music channels back. I have a lifetimed radio so I get free Internet forever. I did cancel two of my radios to compensate. I had those extras just for convience. Now I use my SL2 everywhere.

I'm with you on the price of the mostly and ala carte prices. The only problem is they only have one radio for ala carte and it's not that great. Plus what if XM people want ala carte??? They have to get Sirius and that one radio. It just seems like all of us (XM and Sirius subscribers) were screwed with the merger. It just sounded better than what it really is.

One last thing that pissed me off is the fact that Mel lied when he said all Sirius radios will be able to get best of XM. My Sporster replay couldn't get it. Again not that I would want it. It just seems like we were lied to and that sucks.