If and when internet radio is truly mobile?

Discussion in 'MOG, Pandora, Spotify, Rdio' started by hank-the-dwarf, Oct 13, 2008.

1. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

By then i dont expect pandora and slacker to be free
  2. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Yeah, I think sometime in Slackers future, they'll start throwing in a sub cost for the currently 'free' service. The big question is, how much is too much to pay?

4.99?
    6.99?
    9.99?
  3. hank-the-dwarf

I'd pay 6.99 for somthing like that
  4. Sean

Sean Administrator

Bandwith issues

If you have an iphone or similar, internet radio is already mobile. You can stream pandora, last.fm, whatever, to your iphone. Sure, the data plan is expensive, but if you are already paying for unlimited data then it's effectively free.

However, 3G isn't everywhere yet, and the big advantage that SIRIUS/XM and other broadcasters have over the streamers is that their bandwith needs are a lot lower. If 2 million people were listening to Pandora at the same time on their iphones it would almost certainly crash AT&Ts network, which is really only built to handle sporadic spikes of activity (and most of the time just lots of email checking). The big advantage that streaming has is that everyone gets to listen to specifically what they want (get their own channel, essentially).

But I increasingly question how big an advantage that is, because after the novelty wore off I basically stopped using pandora and last.fm. The playlists got repetitive and boring. On a day-to-day basis I listen mostly to my MP3 collection and flip between 5 or 6 sirius music channels.
  5. hank-the-dwarf

i'm thinking they would go the way slacker is now with the portable u can hook up to your car and just refresh your channels when u get home-wifi everywhere is a long way off-but the medium has alot of potential.
  6. AZDude

AZDude Member

I listen to internet radio in the car using a Sprint broadband card connected to an EVDO router. Then I use an iPod Touch and the Fstream app to stream shoutcast stations. I love it!
  7. MikeV

MikeV Member

After almost 7 years with XM, I'm pulling the plug.

Slacker's G2 provided me with at least 9 hours of music that I listened to today at my second job and while on the road, and I didn't even play half of the channels loaded on it, so I know there's still plenty of music to go!

It's what I want to hear, when and where I want to hear it. No annoying DJ's (or I can turn them on if I so desire), and rather than shelling out over $30/mo for 3 radios, I can use my $10 subscription on my computers at home and my first job, and the G2 while on the road and at my second job.
  8. hank-the-dwarf

This is what i did except with sirius-canceled and use pandora-luckily i am around a computer all day-my zune goes with me everywhere else.:bigthumbup:
  9. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow, Mike that blows my mind. I have looked at Slacker and I've even downloaded the software. Right now though I am enjoying my iPod Touch with the Pandora App a great deal, but of course this does require Wifi. The cool thing about the Slack device is that it just used Wifi to refeshe the channels, but the channels are played directly from the device.

I am going to wait and see how all these channel changes go down before I decide on adding another device.
  10. MikeV

MikeV Member

Pandora on the iPhone is also certainly another viable solution. A solid 3G signal or WiFi is required for higher quality sound with no buffering or skips, but it's another truly customized internet radio experience that you can listen to anywhere you have cell service.

But so far, I'm really digging Slacker and the G2 portable, since it only needs WiFi to sync, and provides many hours of enjoyment without the need to re-connect.
  11. hank-the-dwarf

I wish pandora would come out with a portable similar to the slacker g2-i think that eventually they will.
  12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah that would indeed be sweet!