IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 424 as of 2020/08/30

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Not a Christopher Cross fan?
He's right up there with Air Supply. I can acknowledge that he had a good run of songwriting for a couple of years, and songs like Arthur's theme have become staples, but I'm generally not a fan of that type of soft rock. And I developed a loathing for him the year he won like a dozen Grammys.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
He's right up there with Air Supply. I can acknowledge that he had a good run of songwriting for a couple of years, and songs like Arthur's theme have become staples, but I'm generally not a fan of that type of soft rock. And I developed a loathing for him the year he won like a dozen Grammys.
Everybody's taste is different. My son also hates Air Supply. Whenever we are listening to a 80s countdown and Air Supply comes on, he cringes. I think the one he hates the worst is "Even The Nights Are Better".

As I said before, I don't mind comments positive or negative. If it makes you feel better, I dislike some stuff in your Scotch Sampler too. :)

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
30. 1985 - SR-71
I did not become aware of this song till earlier this year. I like it almost the same amount as the "Bowling For Soup" remake (spoiler). They lyrics are a bit rawer than the remake and therefore a bit funnier although the remake also has some good jokes. "The rubber broke" is my favourite line from this version. The music is also a bit rougher on the original.

29. 1985 - Bowling For Soup
Surprise! This song grabbed me with the lyrics. So much so I bought the album "A Hangover You Don't Deserve". On a cross country trip (before satrad) I had this CD to keep my company. My 4 or 5 year old locked on to this song and I listened to 1985 on repeat for hours. Still not sick of it amazingly. This video harpoons several 80s videos. I recognize some of them.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
33. Ride Like the Wind - Christopher Cross
Yacht but I still like it. And a few of his others.
32. Africa - Toto
Classic
31. Radio Ga Ga - Queen
Too often overlooked. Great song. Reportedly where Lady Gaga took her name from.
We have sadchild for that.
Name-tag.png

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
28. Fire Water Burn - Bloodhound Gang
Another song with cool lyrics from this group. They played this song on Lucy on the old XM. But they blanked out the fucker in motherfucker. My son was in the car with me and asked me why anyone would want to burn their mother. I had to explain that it was actually a bad word which was just removed. The video is also edited but in a more creative way.

27. Time Passages - Al Stewart
Nice soft rock song. This was the first one of Al's songs I heard.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
28. Fire Water Burn - Bloodhound Gang
Another song with cool lyrics from this group. They played this song on Lucy on the old XM. But they blanked out the fucker in motherfucker. My son was in the car with me and asked me why anyone would want to burn their mother. I had to explain that it was actually a bad word which was just removed. The video is also edited but in a more creative way.

27. Time Passages - Al Stewart
Nice soft rock song. This was the first one of Al's songs I heard.

I always liked both of those.
Firewater for the novelty of it at first, but then I really got to like it.

Time passages was just a good one from my youth.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't have predicted that one for you as high as #28
A prediction! But no points. But a good opportunity for a final reminder.

When I started this thread I mentioned that I had a new #1 song and some changes in the order. I will also add that there is also one new addition to the Top 20 and of course one song that dropped off. So can you guess:

• For 1 point, my new #1 song? For a bonus point, what position my old #1 ("Bohemian Rhapsody") now sits?
  • For 2 points, can you name the new song added to the Top 20? Hint: This song was discussed subsequently in the Top 20 thread. For a bonus point, can you guess the position?
  • For 1 point, name the song that fell out of the Top 20. For a bonus point, what position does it occupy?
I will neither confirm or deny your guesses as I don't want to spoil the excitement of seeing if you are right. First guess gets the points. And exactly as mentioned on "Whose Line is it Anyway?" the points mean nothing. I have @sadchild's guesses. Anybody want to play with him? Or will we just see how many points he gets?

26, The Weight - The Band
I never knew this band was Canadian. And I really didn't pay this song much heed until I heard it at my work's 150th birthday "party" a couple of years ago. With the party atmosphere on a sunny day, an extended lunch hour and the announcement of everybody getting their birthday off for that year as an added gift, the elements were right for noticing the music. This was one of the songs played and it quickly became part of my iTunes library with the ***** rating. And now here it is.

25. Della and the Dealer - Hoyt Axton
This song came from a WKRP episode. Hoyt plays a hillbilly from West Virginia who is coming to marry Jennifer. But of course he really looking for a music audition as he is an aspiring country singer. This is the song he does eventually for the demo. Only WKRP episode that uses another song for its closing credits. When I saw this in 1979 I thought he was just an actor and this wasn't a real song. When I watched the DVD collection several years ago I googled and found out he was a real country singer. And the song was available in iTunes (along with one of the other ones he plays a sample of on the show). They became a part of my library and this one was *****. Good story song too. And here it is.

24. Tragedy - The Bee Gees
I love the synth sounds on this one. Good beat (of course) too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A bit of housekeeping. I will be prefixing the songs with their previous top 20 position by putting that position in () at the start. A (--) means not on the top 20.

We have only 1 guesser. We will see how well he does. One rule, if you didn't guess you can't make fun of his guesses.

• For 1 point, name the song that fell out of the Top 20. For a bonus point, what position does it occupy?
"Roll Me Away" is now #22?
Right artist, wrong song, wrong position. 0 points.

(--) 23. My Life - Billy Joel
This song is a great song and was a ***** but was pushed higher in the countdown due to the passing of my mom. It wasn't really her song but it was a song that I associate with her as it came out when I was a teenager and would play it excessively loud on my stereo if I was particularly pissed off with her (as sometimes happens when one is a teenager). Hearing it now, brings back those memories and a twinge of sadness.

(--) 22. Ring of Fire - Social Distortion
Back in the 90s one Sunday morning I was listening to the all request Sunday Morning show on my local alternative radio station. This song was requested. This was the first time I heard this song (any artist). It also got me interested in this old country guy called Johnny Cash who I had only heard by name at this point. I fell in love with his music (and he is well represented on the 424). This song is an excellent remake of this song. And got me into a classic country artist at the same time.

(18) 21. Turn The Page (Live) - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
A great song about being on the road. You feel it is autobiographical. I have heard it a lot this year and the overplay is the reason for its fall.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Great song! Everyone needs a good teenage rebellion song to fall back on. Mine was Twisted Sister "We're Not Gonna Take It", followed by Beastie Boys "Fight For Your Right To Party" (despite it being goofy, and a parody of a stereotype, it still works).
When those songs came out, I was no longer a teenager.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
(20) 20. Joey - Concrete Blonde
This was a ***** song but their position is bolstered by the fact that my second Pug dog was named Joey. This song has an association with him. I became aware of Concrete Blonde by a co-worker who thought I would enjoy them and loaned me his cassettes. I have since bought the CDs.

(19) 19. Melody - The Boys Brigade
This song was not in my library until I finally found a used CD containing it on the interweb and ordered it. I have been searching for the song for years prior. Good song. But not well published now.

(13) 18. American Pie - Don McLean
This song is an amazing piece of songwriting. The mixed metaphors that seem to string together throughout almost the whole song. I've lost count of the biblical references. I know in theory its supposed to be about Buddy Holly, But I feel it;s so much more. Fell a bit due to overplay.

Reactions: sadchild and Aaron

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Another busy day tomorrow so here are tomorrow's entries.

(17) 17. Roll Me Away - Bob Seger & The Bullet Band
Great Bob Seger song. I missed this song entirely when it came out. Picked it up from classic rock radio.

(16) Nightflight to Venus / Rasputin - Boney M
This was played as a double single on the radio in 1979. The songs flow into each other so nicely. The "Nightflight to Venus" is almost never played anymore.

(14) 15. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
A guilty pleasure. I did like this song in 1983. I was surprised to find most people either love the song or despise it with a passion. On a different board this song came up for discussion. I defended it. Since then I became more attached to this song. My son despises the song. I won't bother including the "live drunk" version of this song you can find on the internet.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
  • For 2 points, can you name the new song added to the Top 20? Hint: This song was discussed subsequently in the Top 20 thread. For a bonus point, can you guess the position?

Torn between "Pink Houses" or "Sympathy For The Devil".... Uhm, I'll go with "Devil" at #18.

Interesting thought processes. For those paying attention (I know 424 is a lot of songs to remember) "Pink Houses" was #134 on the Top 424. I am not sure I recall ever even talking about "Sympathy for the Devil". It will be on my **** list however. And not @ #18 either. So still 0 points.

(--) 14. Fear Of Flying - Kix
This is a song I rediscovered when I found my old cassettes. And yes, I love the song hence its inclusion all the way in my top 20.

(15) 13. Walk of Life - Dire Straits
I love this song. Has a great beat. Song has sentimental value since it was also loved by my mom. That is what gave it it's slight bump in the top 20.

(12) 12. Still the Same - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
This song was played as the second song of every Bob Seger concert he did on his final tour. Fabulous song.