IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 424 as of 2020/08/30

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Broke the top 50! Exciting
Yes it is. And I will use this opportunity to again add this reminder:

When I started this thread I mentioned that I had a new #1 song and some changes in the order. I will also add that there is also one new addition to the Top 20 and of course one song that dropped off. So can you guess:
  • For 1 point, my new #1 song? For a bonus point, what position my old #1 ("Bohemian Rhapsody") now sits?
  • For 2 points, can you name the new song added to the Top 20? Hint: This song was discussed subsequently in the Top 20 thread. For a bonus point, can you guess the position?
  • For 1 point, name the song that fell out of the Top 20. For a bonus point, what position does it occupy?
I will neither confirm or deny your guesses as I don't want to spoil the excitement of seeing if you are right. First guess gets the points. And exactly as mentioned on "Whose Line is it Anyway?" the points mean nothing.

One more reminder the day prior to the posting of the song that falls out of the top 20 (this would improve your odds of getting the bonus point for the last guess).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
48. Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver
A song my wife loves and hates being from WV. It is also my ringtone for her. His geography in the song is true only one place in all of WV - Harpers Ferry, WV at a point where WV, MA, and VA all meet. Visited there on a road trip in 2019.

47. The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
This came out around 2000. The lyrics are quite entertaining. It was a song that my daughters and my wife and myself all liked. A rare feat.

46. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC
The album was originally released in 1976. But it was re-released in 1979. I assume after the lead singer's death. This was one of the songs/albums that was cranking as we drived on Albert St.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
45. Shine a Little Love - Electric Light Orchestra
The piano/synthesizer on this is amazing. I think this was the first ELO sound I heard.

44. Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
I always heard this as a happy song. Then one night someone from my church had a small party to celebrate the success of one of our plays (fundraisers). They had a karaoke machine which played the lyrics as the music played. This song came on and I saw the lyrics and realized what a depressing song this actually is. I now hear it as very haunting. Another thing I noticed is that I tend to naturally sing the backup track rather than the lead track (we were singing in a group -- I would NEVER sing solo). This video is not the best version of the song.

43. Too Much Heaven - The Bee Gees
I loved the 1978/79 Bee Gees. They appeal to my disco roots. There are more to come in the top 50.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
As an aside, I realized that I had forgotten about a U2/Johnny Cash song. It was a ***** song and I have interted it @ #43 in my now 432. We are counting down the original version but here is the song now at #43.

The Wanderer - Johnny Cash with U2

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
44. Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
I always heard this as a happy song. Then one night someone from my church had a small party to celebrate the success of one of our plays (fundraisers). They had a karaoke machine which played the lyrics as the music played. This song came on and I saw the lyrics and realized what a depressing song this actually is. I now hear it as very haunting.
We've been watching those music documentaries on Reelz, including the Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac. Many of the tracks on Rumors were breakup songs between Nicks and Buckingham. I guess you have to listen carefully.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
We've been watching those music documentaries on Reelz, including the Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac. Many of the tracks on Rumors were breakup songs between Nicks and Buckingham. I guess you have to listen carefully.
Yes, I have heard that too. But the music is so cheerful. lol

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
42. Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
The jewel in the crown of the "Excitable Boy" album. I always annoy my son when this comes on since I can't help howling to it. Part of the fun of course is his annoyance.

41. Creep - Radiohead
A more than solid alternative song.

40. Common People - Pulp
A lovely song about how it is bad to be rich. Aside from that, its a good song. Quite funny in its lyrics. And with this we are now into my Top 40.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Busy again tomorrow morning. So here are tomorrow's entries.

39. Crazy Mary - Pearl Jam
This song comes from an album called "Sweet Relief". It was a benefit CD for Victoria Williams. I had never heard of her but I had heard this song so I bought the CD. Lots of ***** and **** songs on it. She was suffering from MS. The CD was various artists doing songs written by her. I think she got the proceeds from the sales. I am not sure what she was on when she was writing but she certainly was able to translate intense imagery into her songs even if the lyrics don't always make much sense. Favourite line from this song is:
"Little country store
With a sign tacked to the side
Said 'No L-O-I-T-E-A-R-R-I-N-G Allowed'
Underneath that sign
Always congregated quite a crowd".

38. Lights - The Jayhawks
I have never heard of The Jayhawks. And I have never heard this song on the radio. However, it was on the "Sweet Relief" CD. I heard it there. I fell in love with it. Did I mention great CD?

37. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
A great song. Even sadder when you realize it was likely autobiographical. Gerry's life was not that good. A bit haunting to listen to now.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Since my morning stuff I was going to do today is moved to tomorrow, here are tomorrows entries now.

36. Stayin' Alive - The Bee Gees
My wife pointed out that if this song comes on the radio and you are seeing anybody walking or running or jogging, they will be doing it to the beat of this song. I think that this is because the rhythms in this song are quite complex. Great disco song. A bit surprised the video does not include any John Travolta.

35. Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
This has been covered in other threads. Great song. I covered 2 remakes of this song in the **** song list. But this is clearly the best one.

34. Year of the Cat - Al Stewart
Great soft song.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
For 1 point, my new #1 song?

It would be a big move (a 'whopping' six spots, as Nina might say) but I'm going out on a limb and guess "Born To Run".

For a bonus point, what position my old #1 ("Bohemian Rhapsody") now sits?

Saying #2 seems too easy to say, but I can't imagine it went very far, so I'll go for #3.

For 2 points, can you name the new song added to the Top 20? Hint: This song was discussed subsequently in the Top 20 thread. For a bonus point, can you guess the position?

Torn between "Pink Houses" or "Sympathy For The Devil".... Uhm, I'll go with "Devil" at #18.

For 1 point, name the song that fell out of the Top 20. For a bonus point, what position does it occupy?

"Roll Me Away" is now #22?

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Moving onto page 1 of my list today.

33. Ride Like the Wind - Christopher Cross
Love this song yacht rock or not.

32. Africa - Toto
Another great song.

31. Radio Ga Ga - Queen
My son's favourite Queen song. I like it too. Completely underplayed these days. Maybe that is why I like it so much? The song was also really good in "We Will Rock You" the play.