IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 424 as of 2020/08/30

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I built this list by following these steps. First I took my top 20 and made that the basis for my playlist. Then I took all my ***** songs and added to the end of that playlist (I had presorted them by artist). iTunes gave me the option to skip duplicates. I then removed all spoken word tracks as well as Christmas tracks. So you will not hear Mary's Boy Child by Boney M. Then I ordered each individual artist either by my own Top 10 lists or on the fly. I did have to make some adjustments either to my top 10 list or by bumping up a rating on a song. For example Rio was only **** but was my favourite Duran Duran song. For those that got bumped I added to this list. As I was going through some ***** got demoted back to **** and were removed from this list. So my count was going up and down. Ironically I wound up with exactly the number I started with before the adjustments. Then I went and ordered the songs. A difficult task. It is hard to compare 2 tracks of completely different genres. I also made some adjustments (as I do from time to time) in my top 20. As Kasey would say -- we also have a brand new #1.

I will present 1-3 songs per day in a similar format as @sadchild has done. Some commentary if warranted as well. I will start with the bottom 2 but these are ***** songs in my library so there is no shame at being the bottom. And yes, there are some songs here which will likely generate some ridicule. Which is fine. I don't think those songs are today's.

424. Life Is a Highway - Tom Cochrane
It's a bit overplayed which pushes it down the list.

423. A Good Heart - Feargal Sharkey
A catchy one hit wonder from 1985. I haven't seen the video but I am told it is offputting to appreciation of this song.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Love #424 "Life Is A Highway". Might add it to my 500+ list. I just need people to stop covering it because I think all of the covers I've heard so far suck.

I commented about #423 somewhere else. That's the one where the video wrecks it for me.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
422. I Kissed a Girl - Jil Sobule
I really want to hate this song and not have it on my countdown. But I don't and it is. This is one of the songs (but not the only one) which I expect to be ridiculed for.

421. Hold On Loosely - .38 Special
A good solid rock tune. Included live video. Saw them live with ZZ Top & Lenard Skynard back when one could go to concerts.

420. Curious - Sandbox
Rock or alternative. You decide. Catchy little ditty. Just checked. This band is Canadian.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Jill Sobule, she beat Katy Perry to it! I'm not a fan of the song but I can definitely see why people like it. Surprised it's on your list, but also glad to see something like this on there - something both 90s and frivolous!

Hold On Loosely, a classic

Had never heard Curious (or even heard of the band) but I dig it! I need this on my 90s alt-pop playlists for sure!

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
In '95 I went to the Disorientation festival (it was held at the beginning of the school year) in Boston. Jill Sobule performed, along with Throwing Muses and Amy Mann, plus other bands I don't remember.

It kind of infuriates me that everybody goes gaga over that Katy Perry song, unaware that the concept was done (in sincerity) a long time before.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
419. Abracadabra - The Steve Miller Band
I like almost all of his stuff, including this one.

418. Better Be Good To Me - Tina Turner
This album hit a chord with me in 1984. Particularly this song. Who knew someone so old could sing so well and look so hot? That was my thoughts at the time. Now of course, she would be a younger than me. Still hotter.

417. On The Road Again - Willie Nelson
One of my country entries in the top 424. Not the last. Willie is cool. Not his last appearance (but last as the only artist).

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I definitely like "Abracadabra" and still listen to it. But like Mr Roboto, which I also like, I admit it's not great songwriting or lyricism. It's quite corny, but still catchy and fun. And it's also when Steve jumped the shark.

I dig "Better Be Good To Me". I'll never forget when she was lip-synching it on a TV show and the singing started up again while she was turned away from the microphone.

And I love that Willie wrote "On The Road Again" while on an airplane, onto a barf bag.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
416. Even The Score - Toronto
A Canadian rocker band. I am positive you have never heard of them.

415. Walk This Way - Aerosmith
Solid Rock song. Or early c-rap song. You decide.

414. High School Confidential - Rough Trade
This song came out in 1980. I lived a very sheltered life in Saskatchewan and was quite naive about alternative lifestyles at the time. I always figured the lead singer liked the song even though clearly it was written from a "male" perspective. Pretty risque at the time regardless of who is singing to whom. Of course, it is a Canadian group so I suspect you haven't heard of them.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
416. Even The Score - Toronto
A Canadian rocker band. I am positive you have never heard of them.

415. Walk This Way - Aerosmith
Solid Rock song. Or early c-rap song. You decide.

414. High School Confidential - Rough Trade
This song came out in 1980. I lived a very sheltered life in Saskatchewan and was quite naive about alternative lifestyles at the time. I always figured the lead singer liked the song even though clearly it was written from a "male" perspective. Pretty risque at the time regardless of who is singing to whom. Of course, it is a Canadian group so I suspect you haven't heard of them.

I never realized that Canada had so many artists that weren't in the US, or weren't big in the US. It's almost like it's another country.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I never realized that Canada had so many artists that weren't in the US, or weren't big in the US. It's almost like it's another country.
We have cancon rules. Any radio station up here has to play 1/3 of their music as Canadian to retain their license. This breed a whole bunch of artists who made it up here but for whatever reason did not make it outside Canada. The other side effect is some low charting songs from outside Canada were not played here in order to make room for the Canadian songs.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
413. Fire - The Pointer Sisters
I have always liked the Pointers.

412. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - Journey
One of their earlier rock songs before they got all soft (not that that was bad)

411. Dancing on the Ceiling - Lionel Richie
Not much to say. I like this song.