IdRatherBeSkiing's Top 20 (Sunday, June 21st, 2020 version)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
hmm. looking over that list there 9 songs that i too love. also, you're a big bob seger guy. cool.

good rem choice but if i think rem my first thought is always night swimming. it's just, like, pretty art. like looking at a painting but with your ears.

I have never heard this song before. But like all REM songs, it is cool. Have to figure out which album its on. I have almost all of them (in which case I have heard it but did not remember it). But it is still no Losing My Religion.

Reactions: sadchild and JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Okay, I checked out the #19 song. It's not bad at all. I see why you like it.
Against the Wind is my favorite Seger song also. Turn the Page is a classic. Also love Shame on the Moon and some of the others you mentioned.

I would think almost all Bob Segar songs done before 1990 would be in my top 50 (if I tracked that far).

Born to Run - both the song and the entire album is just epic goodness. The title track, Jungleland, Thunder Road, Tenth-Avenue Freeze-Out. All great. And lately the one song I've been listening to a lot is one of the least played songs on that album - Meeting Across the River. It's more of a quiet dark type of song, lots of atmosphere.

Born to Run album is a classic. It would be on my desert island list if I had one. I generally love all Bruce's music as well even his post-Born In The USA which most people don't like. But none are top 20 and Born In USA songs are overplayed.

I loved a concert of his we saw in Giants Stadium in Jersey. #9 of a series (of 10) he did the summer of 2003. One of the best concerts we have went to. Interestingly it was my second time seeing him. I had got tickets for Mrs. Skiing (at that time just my GF) and myself in Toronto but Canada Customers decided that they would not allow her to cross the border (long story). So what was originally planned as a week in Toronto including the concert and then a return flight to Boston for a 3 day weekend. Then she would have driven back to WV. That turned into just a weekend in Boston. I wound up eating the cost of one return plane ticket and one concert ticket and buying an additional return ticket from Columbus, OH. But one good thing did come out of our trip to Boston (more specifically our night in Salem). 9 months later my son was born. So Springsteen does have a special place in my heart.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I loved a concert of his we saw in Giants Stadium in Jersey. #9 of a series (of 10) he did the summer of 2003. One of the best concerts we have went to. Interestingly it was my second time seeing him. I had got tickets for Mrs. Skiing (at that time just my GF) and myself in Toronto but Canada Customers decided that they would not allow her to cross the border (long story). So what was originally planned as a week in Toronto including the concert and then a return flight to Boston for a 3 day weekend. Then she would have driven back to WV. That turned into just a weekend in Boston.
Now that sounds like my kind of trip. Springsteen in my homeland of NJ, then up to Boston.
But one good thing did come out of our trip to Boston (more specifically our night in Salem). 9 months later my son was born. So Springsteen does have a special place in my heart.
So you slipped her the magic wand, eh?

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Now that sounds like my kind of trip. Springsteen in my homeland of NJ, then up to Boston.

They were 2 separate trip. In 2003 we drove from Columbus (having ditched our 2 year old at his grandmas).

Something like that. :) She had bought some fertility erbs for her daughters and we blame that. Also it was synco-de-mayo and the planets were aligned. Did I mention she had her tubes tied in 1987?

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I have never heard this song before. But like all REM songs, it is cool. Have to figure out which album its on. I have almost all of them (in which case I have heard it but did not remember it). But it is still no Losing My Religion.
The reason I mostly don't participate in the 70's/80's countdown threads is that I have a certain threshold for sappy pop. Losing My Religion goes over the threshold. It's a good song and all, and despite topping Alt-rock lists, it's not Alt-rock; it's a pop ballad.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
One of the best concerts we have went to.
I’m not a huge Springsteen fan. If he’s on the radio I can take it or leave it. I get why he’s considered great, but he just doesn’t connect for me. I did see him at Wrigley Field. We were in Chicago, found out he was there too, so we checked and got some decent last minute tickets. It was one of the best concerts I’ve seen. He walked on stage and had the whole place in the palm of his hands half way through the first song.
Iew....

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
@JHDK I'll check out those Community and Teen Beach videos later (not at work)

@IdRatherBeSkiing Naked Gun is what reminded me of the song when I bought the DVD about 10 years ago. Classic movie. Classic song. Oh, and I love that Boston story. All's well that ends well, I suppose!

@HecticArt I'm with you on both Seger and Springsteen. I recognize that they are legends and deservedly so. But they are on my third-tier list of fav artists, mixed in with 100 others. I don't go out of my way for much of their stuff, just a personal taste thing (with an FM killed it for me thing too).

@scotchandcigar Losing My Religion is a great example of a college/alt-rock band refining their art to the point where it's no longer college/alt. The Police is another great example. Half of Synchronicity is A/C. Great stuff, but it's worlds apart from the raw groundbreaking sound of Roxanne or Can't Stand Losing You.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The Police are one of those bands which I can take or leave. I liked their songs with exception to Roxanne. Most of their other stuff were nice to listen to but I didn't fall onto that bandwagon. I recognize there are a lot of people who really dig their stuff particularly their early stuff. Over time I have gotten to also dislike "Message In A Bottle". The overly repetitive "Sending Out and SOS" now just grates on my nerves. I also am not a fan of Sting's solo work.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The Police are one of those bands which I can take or leave.

never saw the police live but trey had a supergroup/side project with les claypool and stewart copeland...they were oysterhead. saw them once years back in nj. they made weird but also kinda fun music. this is probably the most mainstream song:

Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The Police for me is all about my mood. If I want a raw punk-ish high-pitched wailing over the best hi-hats in rock history, I go for songs like So Lonely, It's Alright For You, No Time This Time, Canary In A Coalmine, Man In A Suitcase, Rehumanize Yourself, Synchronicity 1... But if I want top 40, I enjoy Every Breath, King Of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger, Every Little Thing She Does, Synchronicity 2, Secret Journey, Spirits, Invisible Sun, Don't Stand So...

I totally agree about the repetitive element to their songs being annoying. "Sending out an SOS" like you said. And the last 7 minutes of "Every little thing, every little thing, every little, every little, every little, every little thing she does, every little thing she does, every little thing she does is magic, magic, magic, magic, magic magic....."

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I recognize that they are legends and deservedly so.
And that was why we checked for tickets. We overheard someone on the train into town mention they were going to see him, so we thought, what the hell, he's a legend. Let's see if we can get tickets. I try to go see legends when I can, even if I'm not super geeked for the band.
I also am not a fan of Sting's solo work.
I am. The jazz musicians he pulled together are great. I thought the sound was great.
never saw the police live but trey had a supergroup/side project with les claypool and stewart copeland...they were oysterhead. saw them once years back in nj. they made weird but also kinda fun music. this is probably the most mainstream song:
I don't know how I forgot about this project. I love Claypool. I've seen Primus twice.

Reactions: sadchild and JHDK

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
16. Nightflight To Venus / Rasputin - Boney M
Classic electro-funk/soul/disco sound! First time hearing this...er...these ones

15. Walk Of Life - Dire Straits
I'd say I 90% love this song and 10% hate it. Too many woohoo's!!

14. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Totally legit guilty pleasure! I've sung along to this a few dozen times in my life. Too fun not to. Plus, it from the greatest year of pop music.... 1983!

13. American Pie - Don McLean
Can't comment on this one (yet....)

Last edited:

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
@HecticArt and @IdRatherBeSkiing I can take a few woohoo's. But "Walk Of Life" walks right over that line for me lol! I do like the song though. I owned Brothers In Arms on vinyl back in the 80s.

@Channel98 I had assumed the 5678s wrote that "Woo Hoo" song, had no idea it was cover! As for "Sympathy For The Devil", I was playing cards with my friend and his older brother back when I was about 13. The older brother was taking it real serious, trying to learn poker strategies and prepare for Vegas. But my friend and I got bored fast. When this song came on the radio, I started pretending I was pulling a train horn pull cord over and over again, making my friend laugh. After about three solid minutes of this, the older brother finally yells "Cut it out! I can't concentrate!". Thought he was gonna slug me! For me, it was a powerful performance art piece.... my non-violent statement of protest against a clear case of hoo-hoo overusage.

• Haha
Reactions: Channel98

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The Rock-A-Teens were a teen rockabilly sextet from Richmond, Virginia. After Woo Hoo started picking up local airplay and sales, Roulette Records bought the master recording from Doran Records of Salem, Virginia, and released it nationally. It reached #15 on the Hot 100 in December 1959. Los Angeles had two top-40 stations in 1959. Woo Hoo got to #9 on the KRLA Tune-Dex and #12 on the KFWB Fabulous Forty. The Rock-A-Teens released only one more single before breaking up. Here is Doggone It Baby, with Vic Mizelle (who also wrote the song) doing his very best impersonation of Carl Perkins. This one should have charted too – but didn't.