I'd like an opinion on this

fishy

Dec 2, 2008
Up heah in Maine
I have been writing a monthly column for Busch Sport Scene (formerly Busch North Scene) for about 10 years now. This is my latest effort and I'm interested to know if my opinion on this is shared by anyone or if I am right out to lunch. I know it may not be a terribly popular opinion, but there must be someone out there that agrees with me.
I'd really appreciate some commentary on this subject, it seems to have become more important since the economy took a downturn.
Thanks in advance!
Here is the link.

fish: This may not be too popular, but...........

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
Although IM not as pissed about it as you seem to be, I do agree with your points. The fact that they think Nascar is so closely tied to local dirt tracks is laughable at best. There is more talent at a weekly show in bumf*&^$d egypt that will never have the opportunity to have a shot at nascar than in all 3 series garages combined! Maybe thats a little exaggerated, but not much. But your right, its too expensive, the food sux, and the morons (at least at my local tracks and all I have been to) couldnt line up a field of turtles for a restart! So its ALWAYS 1 or 2am headin home. It is so dam frustrating!

fishy

Dec 2, 2008
Up heah in Maine
Although IM not as pissed about it as you seem to be, I do agree with your points. The fact that they think Nascar is so closely tied to local dirt tracks is laughable at best. There is more talent at a weekly show in bumf*&^$d egypt that will never have the opportunity to have a shot at nascar than in all 3 series garages combined! Maybe thats a little exaggerated, but not much. But your right, its too expensive, the food sux, and the morons (at least at my local tracks and all I have been to) couldnt line up a field of turtles for a restart! So its ALWAYS 1 or 2am headin home. It is so dam frustrating!

I knew I couldn't be the only one seeing this, it has irritated me for a long time, but Mike Joy got on a rant about how we had to support them or lose them a couple weeks ago on TV and it put me over the edge. :)

"I dont have the patience to read all that drivel, can you summarize?"

If you haven't the patience to read the column, you certainly wouldn't have had the patience to wait through a short track show, so you probably wouldn't be able to add much to the debate anyway. ;)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
IMO, it's basically advertising and I don't have a problem with them promoting short track racing at your/my local track. Maybe it gets people to go to their local track and I can't see where you can consider this a bad thing.

brett1963

Oct 30, 2008
Cincinnati
I see where your coming from, but have 2 thoughts in mind.

"Support your local short track" does not necessarily mean
"support your local short track without question or fail no matter what"
I don't think anyone is trying to force you to the short track if that
track sucks.
I take it as implied that if you enjoy your local track and the seats are
comfortable and the parking, food and racing is good, by all means get your butt out there. I don't think anyone wants you to go if you're not going to have a good time.
Its just takes to much time or space to include all those caveats.
:cool:

fishy

Dec 2, 2008
Up heah in Maine
I see where your coming from, but have 2 thoughts in mind.

"Support your local short track" does not necessarily mean
"support your local short track without question or fail no matter what"
I don't think anyone is trying to force you to the short track if that
track sucks.
I take it as implied that if you enjoy your local track and the seats are
comfortable and the parking, food and racing is good, by all means get your butt out there. I don't think anyone wants you to go if you're not going to have a good time.
Its just takes to much time or space to include all those caveats.
:cool:

You are probably right and that is a perfectly good sentiment and a reasonable request.
It just struck me more as a "Come on, now, we know you are flat-ass broke, the food sucks and you're not going to get home until morning, but it's our civic duty, all of us, to keep these poor managers in business long enough for little Jimmy to learn how to drive these cars so he can earn a lot of money entertaining us in 10 years and so that the Cup races in 2025 don't have just 6 talented drivers in the field."

Thanks for reading and for your input, I appreciate it.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
The bottom line for me is that I'll support the local track if it's a fun and enjoyable place to go and has great racing. If not, then I'm not spending my time and money there.

fishy

Dec 2, 2008
Up heah in Maine
The question is, though, will you support the track out of desire or a feeling that it's your duty to do so, so that they will survive and continue to be a feeder service to NASCAR.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
You make this sound like jury duty or community service. Why would anyone go for any reason other than to watch/enjoy the racing? It sounds to me like they simply said to support your local track. Why is that such a big deal? I don't get it. :scratch:

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
The question is, though, will you support the track out of desire or a feeling that it's your duty to do so, so that they will survive and continue to be a feeder service to NASCAR.

I go to the local track as much possible...for the same reason I go to my local tackle and bait shop....as a feeling of duty...so they will survive....for my pleasure and use in the future. Also, so the local kids will have a place to go and race so that "if" they are good enough and have the desire to make racing a career, can move on up the ladder. Civic duty...I guess you could call it that; but, for NASCAR no...for the local drivers??? YES !! I think you're misunderstanding what everyone is meaning when they say support your local track...I never took them to mean "for the benefit of NASCAR"...I felt they were saying this to keep local racing alive and well.

When the local little league comes around looking for money for uniforms etc., are you supporting your local kids...or professional baseball? Pro baseball is always saying support your local little league...are they doing this for themselves??? or for the love of the sport and to insure the kids have local teams to play on. I think the love of the sport and opportunity for the local kids to play "locally". Not as a "feeder" system as you seem to take it.