I think I want one of these...

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Looks nice...:)

It says it has a 160gb hard drive. How is this any different then a regular laptop? Can you run iTunes on it?...:scratch:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well if it is anything like their 10.1" model with the same specs the trackpad is HORRID! I mean HORRID!

I eventually got my staff an Asus Eee PC 1000HE and I ended up getting myself a Samsung NC10 Special Edition. The Samsung NC20 with the 12" display is very nice too, but doesn't have as long of battery life.

My NC10 SE will run for up to 8 hours with the display turned down just a tad.

Acer more or less won the intital round of the Netbook revolution, but this past year when everyone going from 8.9" to 10.1" display they are on the bottom of the barrel because of the poor build quality of their most recent offer and this is mainly due to the crappy trackpad. Did I say it is HORRID! Well it is! We returned 3 of these Acers for this reason, the staff just couldn't use them.

The Samsungs have an almost full size keyboard with a great trackpad! Atom Processor 160gb 5400 rpm, 1gb ram upgradeable up to 2gb. I am running Windows 7 build 7077 on mine and it is just GREAT! I LOVE IT!

dab-albums-dab-s-pic-album-picture219-nc10se1.jpg
dab-albums-dab-s-pic-album-picture220-nc10se2.jpg

Bottom line Samsung and Asus kicked Acer's ass in build quality on the 10.1" model! The Acer's do look nice and the one you mention above certainly has potential with a newer processor, larger full size keyboard (provided they fix the trackpad swivel buttons below it) and of course PRICE! The screen resolution on this newer Acer model is certainly promising! We initially bought Acer because they were cheaper than everyone else, but in this case you got what you paid for. Just a word of caution. Do keep us posted as I am always curious about these newer models. Who knows maybe this model will give Acer the lead again.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Proper, I just did some research on this one and it looks darn good, now it will be a matter of the pricing point!

I can see the big discussion on various forums and web sites is where do you cross the line between being a netbook and notebook?

This one being thin, light, with good battery life and a much higher res screen in my book would still qualify as a netbook, but I think much bigger than this you are talking notebook again!

I'll certainly be watching out for this one and reading the user reviews because I get a lot more from that than these professional reviews!

What do you think the pricing point is going to be? I think if Acer pulls this thing of at the $399 price range they'll have a real winner hear!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Proper, I just did some research on this one and it looks darn good, now it will be a matter of the pricing point!

I can see the big discussion on various forums and web sites is where do you cross the line between being a netbook and notebook?

This one being thin, light, with good battery life and a much higher res screen in my book would still qualify as a netbook, but I think much bigger than this you are talking notebook again!

I'll certainly be watching out for this one and reading the user reviews because I get a lot more from that than these professional reviews!

What do you think the pricing point is going to be? I think if Acer pulls this thing of at the $399 price range they'll have a real winner hear!

Thanks for the update in this thread and the other one. I've heard complaints about the trackpad and mousebuttons on the current aspireones, and it sounds like those are real complaints. I sure hope they address that on the 11.6 version! I think the 11-12 inch screens seem to be bordering on laptop territory, but as long as they can stay significantly small and light with good battery life (5-8 hours) I'll be interested. When I travel for work I have to bring two machines with me - my personal laptop and my work laptop (I don't want to be doing personal stuff on my work machine). This makes for a very bulky carry-on bag! Having something smaller and lighter would help out a lot.

If they can offer this for $350-$400 I would be happy. Any more than that and you are again getting into laptop territory. I think $350 is about my borderline for considering this an "inexpensive" travel computer. If I can load iTunes, VLC movie player (for playing ripped DVDs), a VNC viewer for remoting into my machine back home, and MS Office, it would be a perfect travel computer for me.

P.S. - If you have any of those 10" Aspire Ones that you want to get rid of for cheap, just let me know! :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
P.S. - If you have any of those 10" Aspire Ones that you want to get rid of for cheap, just let me know! :)

No we returned them all as they were just that bad!

That Samsung looks very nice, but it's a bit pricey.

Yeah if you pay full retail for them they are, but we got them through CDW with a pretty good discount and it put them just about $30 above the basic NC10's. Amazon is suppose to have an exclusive on the SE, but there are different models that can be purchased which are exactly the same. Because of the better build quality, matte display, larger battery life and track pad the difference in money is minimal. Sometimes you truly do get what you pay for I have certainly found that when it comes to netbooks.

I believe Radio Shack is selling those for $80.00 with a 2yr data contract from AT&T.
RadioShack.com - the nation's most experienced and trusted consumer electronics specialty retailers.

No you want to avoid this with a 10 foot pole. Do the math, 24 months time $60 per month and $80. $1520 and you are locked into a contact! NO THANK YOU! You can get a much lower priced plan with just one of AT&T's internet cards.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
No we returned them all as they were just that bad!

Yeah if you pay full retail for them they are, but we got them through CDW with a pretty good discount and it put them just about $30 above the basic NC10's. Amazon is suppose to have an exclusive on the SE, but there are different models that can be purchased which are exactly the same. Because of the better build quality, matte display, larger battery life and track pad the difference in money is minimal. Sometimes you truly do get what you pay for I have certainly found that when it comes to netbooks.

No you want to avoid this with a 10 foot pole. Do the math, 24 months time $60 per month and $80. $1520 and you are locked into a contact! NO THANK YOU! You can get a much lower priced plan with just one of AT&T's internet cards.
I see your point plus it's not unlimited internet.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Well, I went another direction and spent my netbook money on a Blackberry Bold (and an iphone for the wife). So no Aspire One for me this year...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well, I went another direction and spent my netbook money on a Blackberry Bold (and an iphone for the wife). So no Aspire One for me this year...

Well whatever works for you and meets your needs that is really all that matters! A Blackberry just like an iPhone can do many of the thing that a netbook can do, though of course not everything!

I would say that my iPod Touch probably gets used everybit as much as my phone and netbook in a days time. I love having google's sync to keep all my appointments calendar and contacts all up to do and the same between phone and netbook or even desktop!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Well whatever works for you and meets your needs that is really all that matters! A Blackberry just like an iPhone can do many of the thing that a netbook can do, though of course not everything!

I would say that my iPod Touch probably gets used everybit as much as my phone and netbook in a days time. I love having google's sync to keep all my appointments calendar and contacts all up to do and the same between phone and netbook or even desktop!

I'm pumped about getting the new smartphones! We've been talking about it for a while, and all the talk about it on the Stern Show prompted me to do more research. I played with both phones at the store and found that I liked the Blackberry just a little more. ATT is actually giving away refurb Bolds for free with a new 2 year contract. I paid $200 for mine though by going through my wife's employer. The upside being some really nice discounts on the monthly costs.

Besides, when my wife's laptop dies it might be a good time to get that new netbook. but that damn thing has been on it's "last legs" for over a year now...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am glad that you and she are happy with your decision. Being able to get a good deal with a lower monthly rate on an employee plan is certainly helpful.

The Blackberry just like the iPhone opens up a whole other world for you both!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England

I might go this route too in favor of Verizon, which has great coverage here in Mass.

Congrats on the new toys.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Verizon doesn't have the Bold, but the 8330 Curve does most of what it can do. Verizon has the Storm, the touchscreen model. We are moving to Verizon from ATT over the next few months.

AT&T = Sorry, no price breaks for a pretty big account... (over a 1/4 mil annually)
Verizon = Let's see, is there anything we haven't offered yet, cuz we'll work with you...

Can you hear me now?