I need to trigger a device recovery....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I need to trigger a device recovery on an SL2 which is stuck on the 4th dot. The power switch is not active and pulling the battery does not recognize the 3 key sequence required for a device recovery. Any ideas?

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I need to trigger a device recovery on an SL2 which is stuck on the 4th dot. The power switch is not active and pulling the battery does not recognize the 3 key sequence required for a device recovery. Any ideas?

Try holding the Options and Display buttons while putting the battery back in, if you didn't already try that...

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Try holding the Options and Display buttons while putting the battery back in, if you didn't already try that...

I tried that. I may ask my wife to put the battery back in while I hold those 2 buttons and the power button at the same time.

It pisses me off that the hardware remains fine but the software has been corrupted in such a way that it won't boot or goto the error screen. I may have to engage my extended 'repair' warrentee.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well, I solved my issue by taking out the battery and plugging in the AC adapter. This frees my hands to do the 3 finger salute. I am recovering now. I came this close to just about giving up and doing an exchange. Glad I gave it one more shot.

This is a wonderful device but I really wish Sirius would fix it.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Well, I solved my issue by taking out the battery and plugging in the AC adapter. This frees my hands to do the 3 finger salute. I am recovering now. I came this close to just about giving up and doing an exchange. Glad I gave it one more shot.

This is a wonderful device but I really wish Sirius would fix it.

I'm glad it worked. I'll need to remember this AC adapter trick; it might come handy, some day. Thanks for the info!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm glad it worked. I'll need to remember this AC adapter trick; it might come handy, some day. Thanks for the info!

This is the first time I did not have to do it from a point where I could do a shutdown. Keep the battery handy since you can't do a device recovery with the AC adapgter in. I forced the error then quickly removed the adapter and put back the battery. The error condition remained allowing to do the device recovery. I can see why they want to make the key sequence hard but in this scenario it was a pain in the butt. I think the logic to automatically start when the battery is put in is the problem.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
DAB's clears throat and smiles real big! :D

I never said it was flawless. It certainly is challenging when it gets corrupted. Problem is each time it gets corrupted it has different symptoms so prior experience does not always help you.

However, its working great now. And its still a great radio. Ovbviously fixing the memory corruption would make it almost perfect.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I never said it was flawless. It certainly is challenging when it gets corrupted. Problem is each time it gets corrupted it has different symptoms so prior experience does not always help you.

However, its working great now. And its still a great radio. Ovbviously fixing the memory corruption would make it almost perfect.

The only thing obvious is that some of us just were no longer willing to put up with all this and some like you will post about your ongoing problems every few months and then in the next breath talk about how great this tuner is! LOL They aren't going to fix it! Hey its your time, I don't really care, I was mainly yanking your chain like always! :)

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
The only thing obvious is that some of us just were no longer willing to put up with all this and some like you will post about your ongoing problems every few months and then in the next breath talk about how great this tuner is! LOL They aren't going to fix it! Hey its your time, I don't really care, I was mainly yanking your chain like always! :)

If I had the option of buying another device that did everything the SL2 does, but without the memory corruption, I would have already bought it. As of now, there is no bug-free replacement, so I have to either live with the SL2's imperfections or lose many awesome features I've come to depend on, which I wouldn't get with other devices. That's why I stick around these forums trying to help others and getting help from them. The DRC forums allowed me to learn tricks that drastically improved my day-to-day experience with the SL2.

For "me" (not necessarily for "you"!), the SL2 is still the best option. A portable sat receiver is something I need (I know it's not something you need).

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Its not perfect. What it does do it does well. Its sort of like a woman. You think you have it figured out and then it throws you a curve. No matter how well you treat it, you still get burned occassionally. But don't try to live with out it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If I had the option of buying another device that did everything the SL2 does, but without the memory corruption, I would have already bought it. As of now, there is no bug-free replacement, so I have to either live with the SL2's imperfections or lose many awesome features I've come to depend on, which I wouldn't get with other devices. That's why I stick around these forums trying to help others and getting help from them. The DRC forums allowed me to learn tricks that drastically improved my day-to-day experience with the SL2.

For "me" (not necessarily for "you"!), the SL2 is still the best option. A portable sat receiver is something I need (I know it's not something you need).

There you go, well said and you didn't even have to be defensive to get your point across! I LIKE IT! :)

It is too bad though that you've got to more or less tip toe around to use this thing and even then it may still screw up.