I just got my new Slacker G2 Portable Player…

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
I just bought a Slacker G2 Portable Player (4gb/25 station version). It was quite easy to setup, and it’s already beginning to load all 25 of my stations in. Hopefully by tonight, I’ll be enjoying 25 channels of fantastic music, chosen and customized by me, anywhere I go!

My first impressions:
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The packaging is DAMN sexy! It really blends into Slacker’s unique marketing, and being a casual graphic designer, it really caught my eye.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The player is also very attractive, and small! Seems relatively easy to use, one you learn the menu system. Easy to setup as well.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The large screen and album cover display is amongst the best I’ve seen…blows most mp3 players (including most iPods) out of the water.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The headphones seem decent, although I’m sure I’ll use my premium, noise-cancelling set anyways.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty much really jealous. It seems like such a great device. Let us know how you like it. I'm curious to know how long it does take to load stations because I've read on of the issues with the original is that it took so long to update.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Congrats on your G2. I have spent hours with Slacker and I have just been unable to get the same level of customization for the created channels that I can with Pandora. I am interested in the G2, but not until I can get some customized stations that actually play what I want. Maybe it just takes longer to get them customized.

Any suggstions would be nice. One of the biggest issues is that there are a lot of New Age music that just isn't available and in fact the artist don't even exist on Slacker. I am a huge New Age fan and having a channel like this is an absolute must.

Last night in about 30 minutes I went ahead and created 3 Christmas Channels on Pandora. I just think Pandora system is better at this point. In my test I was blown away by these channels I created. I've just not experienced that with Slacker.

Last edited:

MNXMFan

Oct 24, 2008
I just got my slacker today, and I love it. The song selection is much better than on XM equivelant channels. Sound quality is AMAZING. I mean, side by side, if you can't hear the difference between XM and Slacker, your nuts. Slacker blows XM's SQ out of the water by a long shot.

I also like the display. I have been a slacker member for years, but the ability to take it with me wherever I go has just made me a complete convert. Not sure what I'll do with the XM yet, still waiting to see what post-Mel lineup looks like. But, if rumors are true, I now have my backup plan.

I like Pandora alot, but if I'm in the mood for music I know, sprinkled in with a little new stuff, Slacker wins. As far as customization, yeah Pandora can be one diverse animal. And I like that, honestly. But Slacker has the ability of being diverse, yet not obscure. There are times when that is good too.

Being as how I just got it, we will see if it starts repeating. But if you already like Slacker online, the personal radio seems like a no brainer.

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
But Slacker has the ability of being diverse, yet not obscure. There are times when that is good too.

That's exactly why I like it...kind of like XM used to be! Pandora is too much for me. I like some familiarity to my music, with the "Wow!" songs mixed in.

Slacker is also much more user-friendly IMHO, and add it the unique marketing and the excitement behind the company, it's being back memories of what satellite radio used to be, with a dose of future technologies mixed in. I have to admit I even like the limited DJ and jingle interaction they add.

I will be posting a more in-depth review here this weekend. And so far, it's an absolute winner!

:bigthumbup:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just picked one up too and an XMP3.

Oh dear.

Now you know being the first with XMP3, you are now responsibile to do a review.

I played with Slacker a little more today and got one one of my stations pretty close to what I like. RR saying that Pandora is too much is mind baffling, how can the ability to get a service like this to give you what you really want be too much? The DJ system on Slacker is more user friendly? WTF? I guess if the conclusion is less customization is more user friendly then that is true. :)

One thing for sure though it is great having all these choices for music!

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
It all my humble opinion, Sir DAB. :jj:

Maybe I'm just not that familiar with Pandora to truly appreciate what it has to offer.

I just find that Slacker gives me some options to customize, while providing a mix from radio professionals which feels just right. I don't mind a touch of radio mixed in to the service.

I think of it as a nice combination of satellite radio and internet radio services.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I will continue to mess around with it, because the one big advantage that Slacker has right now is the G2. Pandora right now is only available on a few devices, including the iPod which of course doesn't allow you to download for later playback. That is what has my eye with the Slacker G2.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate your view, I am just trying to compare it to Pandora, which right now has given me some really kicking channels. My disappointment is not being able to recreate them on Slacker. But it is a work in progress so we'll see.

Now Taylor were is that XMP3 review? hehehe

MNXMFan

Oct 24, 2008
Well I will continue to mess around with it, because the one big advantage that Slacker has right now is the G2. Pandora right now is only available on a few devices, including the iPod which of course doesn't allow you to download for later playback. That is what has my eye with the Slacker G2.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate your view, I am just trying to compare it to Pandora, which right now has given me some really kicking channels. My disappointment is not being able to recreate them on Slacker. But it is a work in progress so we'll see.

Now Taylor were is that XMP3 review? hehehe

I see both views. Right now, it's the G2 that pushed me over the edge.

If you spend enough time with Pandora, you can get it to sound GREAT. But the keyword is time. I've spent that with Pandora, and can honestly say that it does a great job. The more time you put into it, the more refined it gets.

The same can be said about slacker, but its less time and you can get up and running very quickly. And having professional programmers makes it feel less like a music service, and more like radio. Pandora is a great music service, Slacker is a great radio service. They both try to be the other (Pandora in radio, Slacker in music) but they excel at different things.

Now if only they could merge.....

HA JUST KIDDING!

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I wanted to post these pics before leaving work. I will discuss later.
Slacker_8.jpg

Slacker_7.jpg

Slacker_4.jpg

Slacker_3.jpg

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It is darn sure I sweet looking device. I like the full display being used for the album art.

All these new toys! You guys are killing me. Be quiet MM, no one asked you anything. LOL hehehe

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
I signed up for the Premium service, giving the free 7 Day Trial a whirl. It's nice to have unlimited skips. Many of the channels I don't even use the skip feature much anyways because they are so well programmed.

Given how much I'm liking the player and the service, I'll pay the subscription.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah, I was wondering about the subscription. What about saving songs Ryan how does that work and you can play those back anytime?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Okay, I have looked for the answer to these questions on Slacker, but came up empty.

In regards to the G2 Player I have some questions:

1. Can the display be turned off while listening?

2. Can the display brightness be turned up or down?

3. Is there a sleep time that will turn it off after so long?

4. If you don't use the 1GB space available for your own music, will the G2 us it to save songs?

I am giving some serious thought to pulling the trigger on one of these as I'll be going to Best Buy this weekend sometimes.