I just got my new Slacker G2 Portable Player…

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by roscoryan, Oct 23, 2008.

1. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

If someone wants to take music to the gym to workout or wants to listen to music on their morning walk I think the Slacker G2 is an awesome device to do that. I lent the Slacker to Jamie from TSS so maybe he will have some fun things to add after this weekend.
  2. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Okay you Slacker G2 owners. Today I've listened to a few channels for several hours. Last night I listened to some new age for a couple of hours. Today when I went back to that station instead of it starting where it left off, it started at the beginning. I remember the songs order exactly as I was paying attention to what was playing. This afternoon I've gone to a couple of other channels ane one started where it left off the other appears to have also started from the beginning. Anyone else experiencing this?

I just wish that Sirius would do whatever it is going to do on the music or at least make a freaking announcement. I guess right now I am having some reservations about keeping this thing. I wish I could make a hard decision like some of you clearly have, but I just love freaking sat radio.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

For what its worth, an XM LSR who posts on XMFAN has indicated he has seen the lineup and its not as bad as it is being made out to be on XMFAN. Probably means some XM channels are going to be a part of the channel package.

You could always return it now and buy it again in November should the line up not be to your liking.
  4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah, that has always been my thinking that it was not going to be as bad as many have thought. Oh so many at XMFan make it sound like it is the end of the world. My GOSH!

Anyway... You make a good suggestion and I may just do that! Thanks :)
  5. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

You can't really blame them. Sirius XM has run a clinic on how not to handle a channel merge and layoffs.
  6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah, I guess those of us that have been around in the SIRIUS camp for while are immune to this type thing by SIRIUS so its just another day for us.
  7. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

I don't view my Slacker G2 as a replacement for satellite radio by any means. I like my sports, news/talk, and even some of the music too much. I view it as a very fine compliment, especially when I'm working out or in an area where satellite radio and WiFi coverage is not available.

And I view it as a way to revitalize the spirit of music which XM seemed to master at one time.
  8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

That is an excellent point Ryan. I agree with you 100%. I can see where it could have a place to compliment the toys I already have. I just have to decide if I will use it enough to warrant keeping it. I've listened a great deal today and I've been most impressed with most of the professionally programmed channels.

I think for many of us that have an iPod or Stiletto they both have music enough on them to be able to get through those times when Wifi or Sat signal isn't available. I just keep remember my Sansa Connect which I loved so much and how it eventually got relegated to my desk drawer after a period of time.

By the way have you experienced any of those issues I brought up a couple of post back?
  9. MikeV

MikeV Member

I noticed a similar thing with one of my channels... Listened to it on the way to work in the morning, and after I let it sit for over 2 hours, turned it back on for the drive home and got a lot of the same songs in a similar order, but not the exact same order. I think it's partly due to the fact that it shuts off after the inactivity, and then doesn't remember what it played before on that channel.

Others on the Slacker forum have mentioned the same thing (there's a thread in the Portable Players forum regarding repeats without refreshing that talks about the issue)... hopefully it's something that can be fixed in a software update.
  10. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

The tech bug bit me today. I am now the proud owner of a Slacker G2. It's charging and I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

You bastards are going to make me broke!:eek:
  11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yeah once you get the channels you want and connect via Wifi it takes a while to load all your channels. Depending of course on how many. I just went with 15 to start with, in fact I doubt I'll ever need more than that. Might even cut that back some after I listen for awhile.
  12. mynameisjamie

mynameisjamie Member

I'm not sure how much I can add to this discussion but....

I have been given the extreme pleasure of playing with Tom Taylor's Slacker G2 for a couple of days. These are my conclusions.

This device wants to be held by you. It's shape and size alone are enough to inspire hours of gentle caressing and tender cuddling. To make it an even more enjoyable experience, the back is covered with a material which I can only imagine to be similar to baby angel skin. To top the entire tactile experience off, the buttons are perfectly placed, perfectly sized, and perfectly tuned. Even me and my sausage fingers found it easy to find the button and press it once without having had just pressed three other buttons mistakenly or having to press again harder.

The audio is really great. Everything was really clear and even when turned up loud there weren't any distortions. I mostly listened with a pair of playstation portable headphones which are pretty good headphones and I would like to listen with a pair of better cans to see where that gets me.

Setting everything up was unusually easy. Log onto your account and enter the device code. From there you are ready to load up your favorite stations. It's already been said that it takes so long to update your channels, and it does. One way to avoid this is to order directly from Slacker.com. If you go this route you pick your own channels the G2 will come loaded with.

Looking at the service I only had a couple of days. In all of that time I didn't hear any repeats and I listened for about a total of 15 hours or so. Much of the time was because I just didn't want to put the thing down (baby angel skin) and by the time I did hear a repeat, it was time to hand the radio back to Tom Taylor.

At the end of the day would I go spend $200 on this device? Maybe in a Brewster's Million's situation. You know how it goes. Someone gives me millions of dollars and I have to spend it before a certain date or else I loose it all... Slacker is more of a service than a device anyway. With the ability to listen online, a Slacker portable, or soon mobile phones, the G2 is simply a velvety soft needle to deliver the sweet drug of Slacker to my track mark ridden eardrums.

:fallinlove:
  13. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Okay Eric, you've had this thing for a full day, what is your take on it?

That is a very nice personal review Jamie. I can say that I could not agree more. I initially had some doubts about it. I guess the initial shock of dropping $200 bucks, then subscribing to the service for another $90 bucks was a bit tough to swallow. However, now that I've played with it for 4 or 5 full days and taken it with me. I have totally fallen for it. The SQ is excellent, the device is great (your so right about the buttons size, the ease of use and how it just feels good in your hand). The stations are professionally programmed. I really do wish though that they would add the DJ's and more station ID's because that would make it feel less like an MP3 player and more like REAL radio. The cool thing is for those that don't want the station ID's and DJ's that can be turned off. I have it on for all my stations, but I've only heard one station ID and it was pretty cool. sli sli slic... your listening to slacker radio. I did hear one commerical too before I upgraded to the premium service. It was about 15 seconds long.

I just ordered the car charger tonight and I really wish they would make a home and car dock. My problem is that I've been listening so much that by the end of the day the last 2 days I've out lasted the battery.

The one thing I wish could be configured is that the moment you plug it into power to charge it, it automatically refreshes the channels. I'd rather manually tell it to do that or at least have the option to turn off auto refreshing.

Yes, this is one cool little device and I see this as being a big seller this holiday season as well. Hopefully TSS will start stocking it. Though clearly Taylor will have to watch you closely with all that angel skin being around. (I don't know it all sounds kind of kinky to me) hehehe ;)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  14. MikeV

MikeV Member

Having never read the user manual, I wasn't aware that it did this. I've always just manually refreshed after plugging it in. If I don't have to do that extra step, that's even better!
  15. SatRadioRules

SatRadioRules Member

DAB/MikeV - I've been listing to Slacker on my computer all morning...I think I'm hooked. I may stop by Best Buy on the way home. I figure the 25/channel is fine.

MikeV - If I recall, you are a Mac guy like me...do you just sync it wirelessly (I guess the first one takes some time)? Any other Mac issues for you?

Does it sync the channels you mark as favorites? I have not researched the use of it yet.

Thanks, guys....

BTW - With respect to chargers...have you guys looked into the iGo system Radio Shack sells? They have different kits...I have the one that can charge two devices at once, plus it comes with the car and airplane charger. When you buy it, you get two free tips -- the tips correspond to your device. The A53 tip is used for the Slacker, according to the iGo site. The tips are $9.99, so instead of buying $20 charger, you buy a new tip. It's great for traveling and comes with a travel pouch. I can charge my iPods, XM Helix, Blackberry, Garmin Nuvi, Phone, etc. Pretty cool system...check it out.

Thanks for any advice to a soon-to-be Slacker newbie...
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  16. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

There's an option on the software player "Send to portable"
  17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Yes, while listening to your favorite you can click Send to Portable.

You can also go to the list of channels and go through them and as you find the ones you want to send to the portable, just click view the channel and then Sent to Portable. You can also edit the channels to fine tune them for playing the depth that you prefer. I've been playing with this some to get it fine tuned to my enjoyment.

You can then go to your Portable List, of course you can't do any of this until you actually have the Slacker G2 radio code installed in your software.

Once you can get to your portable list you can drag the channels in whatever order you want them listed on the radio.

If you buy one from Best Buy just remember it will take a while to sync all those channels to the device. You may want to start with just a few initially, then when you go to bed add all the others and let it sync.

I always make my channel changes adds, removes, tweak to fine tuning. Then I plug it in to charge it and it always automatically updates or refreshes the channels. I find if you listen to a channel for several hours it will take much longer to refresh.
  18. SatRadioRules

SatRadioRules Member

DAB - I got it and am working on it now. My home network name has spaces in it, which the Slacker cannot connect to unless you upgrade the firmware, which you have to do on a WIndows machine. I'm installing the software on my windows partition on the mac...if it doesn't work, I'll do it at my office tomorrow. (I did an online Slacker chat and was told this...we shall see).

THe unit is incredibly cool!

stay tuned....
  19. SatRadioRules

SatRadioRules Member

So...I was able to connect my Slacker using Parallels on the Mac to access windows. It is loading right now. I probably should have removed some of the preloaded channels...oh well. Based on my Slacker support chat, the player should automatically update the firmware and then the wireless will work with my network.

The device is rather sweet....much nicer build then I expected. I listened to one song preloaded before I connected it and found the SQ surprisingly good!

More to come...
  20. SatRadioRules

SatRadioRules Member

Okay....I loaded my stations and have to say I dig this thing! I'm in the office with it hooked up to my Bose wave radio and it sounds great! In the car, through the aux input, it also sounded fantastic.

I did some basic channel creation, but see so many possibilities. I can't wait to get home tonight and create some very cool stations.

There are a few minor things....such as being able to create playlists but not being able to name them (probably a softward fix at some point) and not being able to start a song over unless it is in your library (then again, you can't do that on radio either, except for some XM/Sirius models).

I hope this takes off...so many possibilities!