I heard this the other day

Discussion in 'HD (Terrestrial) Radio' started by Jon, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Listening to one of the 'local' Clear Channel stations. When the station ID came on it said "97.3 KBCO, Boulder. An IHeartRadio station. Not Clear Channel! IHeartRadio. Found that interesting.
  2. tdevine

tdevine Guest

All Clear Channel stations are doing that now. I'm sure the word "synergy" was used many times when individual stations were told to do this.
  3. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Moderator

It's just brand cross-promotion. They're still Clear Channel, just pimping I Heart Radio.
  4. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

That and they've completely given up on HD Radio in this market. What used to be on HD Radio alternate stations is now available online and through mobile devices. Will terrestrial/satellite radio as we know it cease to exist completely? Kinda sounds like the start of it.
  5. tdevine

tdevine Guest

I know, I was poking fun at corporate speak :)
  6. microbob

microbob Active Member

Clear Channel is re broadcasting some of those I Heart Radio channels on their HD2 and HD3 radio sub channels. In some areas, they are using translators which are low powered radio FM stations to do this eliminating the need for HD radio all together.
  7. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Moderator

Nope, not as long as data plans for mobile devices are $50+ a month, and phones/mobile devices are $200+ and require contracts. Satellite is much, much cheaper, even if the content isn't as deep.
  8. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

At least Terrestrial will. Clear Channel is already going national with iHeartRadio. Satellite will stay but you'll see a lot less hardware and a lot more mobile options outside the OEM models which is their bread and butter. Plug and Play devices like my old Roady XT will cease to exist.
  9. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I disagree. The fact they have released a new model this year (Edge) and are releasing the Lynx in the next months shows that they still will offer PnP options.

They are expanding their market to include mobile devices and the internet more but they will never be exclusive to that market.
  10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

For the most part you're right, but I wouldn't say 'never.' If it means making more money they'll drop PnP like it's hot. It's just a matter of when. To me anyway.
  11. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I don't think we will ever go back to the days around mid last decade when Sirius and XM were coming out with new PnP and portable models left right and centre and competing in the retail space. But once a new radio is designed, it costs them little to have their Chinese slaves run off a batch of a couple thousand when required and sell them. I see them always having a few models. Hardware is an investment. A stream can be deativated without much guilt. There is a bit of guilt in having hardware doing nothing.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm with you. I'm guessing we'll eventually be down to a couple of models to choose from, but I don't expect them to go away for a very long time.
  13. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

I think you'll have PNP devices well into the future but you'll be limited in choice.

Over the last few years it's been:
    - Xpress RCi
    - Onyx
    - That weird XM on a stalk deal (not SkyDock - the cheap one)
    (I suppose you could toss the SkyDock in with this group)

This is a far cry from a few years back when you had a dozen or more choices from each of the two companies.

I figure they'll settle into the two current models at any one time like the Lynx and the Edge and that'll be it. At home they'll probably still offer the XM-Ready receivers (notice any tabletops/alarm clocks are well in the past). In the car they expect most people to buy it built in and then pay monthly (I never did understand their lifetime limitations here).

It seems to me, and I've thought this for years, that they really ought to work the tuner into the tuner that comes with the various units (like your radio at home or car stereo) and then just have the extra antenna port on the back. I'm figuring that it keeps costs low and you end up with the people who might want to try it in their new car not being put off by the $250+ charge for an external unit to be installed (at least that's what it was for my 2009 Honda Civic - I passed).

I think they need to do this across the board (OEM car stereos, home receivers, and after market car stereos). It shouldn't be, "Oh, I have to buy this extra external box to try XM." It should be, "Oh, all I need to do is to hook up this antenna and it'll work - much like AM or FM"

Of course, I also think that HDRadio needs to do the same. When you buy a stereo it should just be as expected as AM or FM. Then again, HDRadio is approaching 10 years and most people don't know anything about it. It works great in my home for getting rebroadcast AM stations on FM subchannels but I had less than stellar results when I had it in my old car (I had it for about 3 years and it would cut in and out of the digital signal as I'd drive around town - that wasn't promising). So, HDRadio may be a dead issue at this point (like talking about AM Stereo in 1995).