I have a HUGE project for a long-time Sirius fan (and even an XM fan)

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I, and many others i'm sure, am interested in learning what channels previously occupied what spots.

I heard rumors that there was a HUGE channel switch back in 2005 or so...perhaps even bigger than the one that created Howard 100 and Howard 101. And the creation of Howard 100 and 101 might have been one of the biggest channel switches ever.

Any chance of a graphical timeline for each channel?

I'm sure given the right technology and knowledge it would be fairly easy.

Last edited:

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Its amazing to see how many Rap and Latin/World Channels Sirius used to have on their original lineup compared to now.

Also, no Single Artist Channels and only 11 channels of Rock, versus the 21 that are on Sirius today!

IIMHO, Sirius has too many Rock Channels. I could certainly do without channels like The Spectrum, Sirius XMU, and Jam ON.

The SAC's aren't helping things, either. I say get rid of E Street Radio and The Grateful Dead Channel and play these on channel 113 in a limited engagement style format.

Channels like Super Shuffle, Disorder, and Boombox need to return to the Sats.

:bigahh:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Its amazing to see how many Rap and Latin/World Channels Sirius used to have on their original lineup compared to now.

Also, no Single Artist Channels and only 11 channels of Rock, versus the 21 that are on Sirius today!

IIMHO, Sirius has too many Rock Channels. I could certainly do without channels like The Spectrum, Sirius XMU, and Jam ON.

The SAC's aren't helping things, either. I say get rid of E Street Radio and The Grateful Dead Channel and play these on channel 113 in a limited engagement style format.

I agree. My favorite lineup was when I first joined in late 2004. Before the dark times... (all the SAC's). Vacation, Horizons, Folk Town, and Swing Street were all still around. Made for a more diverse lineup.

I heard rumors that there was a HUGE channel switch back in 2005 or so...
I'm still trying to forget the infamous channel switch of 2005. :banghead:
I'll try to dig up some info on that if I get the chance later this weekend.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I joined Sirius on September 19,2005 (before the big channel change for Howard 100 and 101). I loved Sirius Wax on channel 42 for the first week I had this service. :rolleyes:

I miss Super Shuffle alot. It was my favorite channel. It was great because you truly had no idea what song they were going to play next. That kind of excitement is what SXM is missing. Too many Rock Channels, not enough Hip Hop Channels, and Latin Music can only be found on 1 channel now!

I certainly understand how everyone feels when the Bridge gets pre-empted for crap like "Paul McCartneys Fireman Radio." The only difference is that my favorite channel isn't coming back. :cuss:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
While I don't like starting pissing contests about personal tastes, I must speak up about the comments regarding The Spectrum and Sirius XM U, which comprise 50% of my music listening. The Spectrum is the closest thing to a regular FM radio adult album-oriented-rock station there is, and SXM U is the only open-genre new rock music channel. Every other channel is some sort of niche, such as hard, soft, emo, or retro. So they need to be there, even if some people don't like them.

Personally, I will never listen to Hair Nation or Octane, but I'm not going to campaign to shut them down. As far as Super Shuffle, that reminded me of the "Jack FM (we play everything)" kind of station. Yes, the playlist was huge, but if you dislike half of the songs they play, will you keep listening? I felt the same way about Sirius Disorder - while I liked the idea of a large playlist, I found myself suffering through too many songs that I just didn't want to listen to.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I posted these in another thread. I think we might have a couple more old channel guides around.
scan0002.jpg

oldchannellist.jpg

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
While I don't like starting pissing contests about personal tastes, I must speak up about the comments regarding The Spectrum and Sirius XM U, which comprise 50% of my music listening. The Spectrum is the closest thing to a regular FM radio adult album-oriented-rock station there is, and SXM U is the only open-genre new rock music channel. Every other channel is some sort of niche, such as hard, soft, emo, or retro. So they need to be there, even if some people don't like them.

Personally, I will never listen to Hair Nation or Octane, but I'm not going to campaign to shut them down. As far as Super Shuffle, that reminded me of the "Jack FM (we play everything)" kind of station. Yes, the playlist was huge, but if you dislike half of the songs they play, will you keep listening? I felt the same way about Sirius Disorder - while I liked the idea of a large playlist, I found myself suffering through too many songs that I just didn't want to listen to.

I am not starting a campaign to get The Spectrum and Sirius XMU removed from the Sat's. I was just saying that those are channels I can do without. If you like them, thats perfectly fine. There are alot of people who probably like them. I am not one of them. :)

Everyone has different tastes.

With that being said, I am more upset about channels like E Street Radio, The Grateful Dead Channel, and other Single Artist Channels that take up precious bandwidth. I also think that there is no point having The Pulse and Sirius Hits 1 around together, when they play alot of the same things. Channels like Alt Nation, Lithium, and the decades channels can pick up songs from the Pulse.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one. I am just voicing what I think, FWIW.

:blah:

kelso_boy

Dec 18, 2008
Those channel sheets are awsome to look at! I didn't sign up until x-mas of 07, and it's neat to see how things used to be. On the bottom of the 2002 list there is something printed about "superior sound resolution" or something like that. What is that all about? Did sirius used to sound like it was near cd quality?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

At least they could bring back Super Shuffle, Disorder, Boombox, Planet Jazz, etc. back to the "internet-only" lineup.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Those channel sheets are awsome to look at! I didn't sign up until x-mas of 07, and it's neat to see how things used to be. On the bottom of the 2002 list there is something printed about "superior sound resolution" or something like that. What is that all about? Did sirius used to sound like it was near cd quality?

Yep.

Just like DirecTV used to be DVD quality, before they sqeezed in a zillion channels and picture quality got so bad that the HD revolution had absolutely no choice but to happen.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
XM had Indian and Chinese music once? Interesting.

I still miss a channel like Revolution/The Torch.

Special X sounded interesting.

I remember a friend who signed up for XM Radio because of 2006 World Cup coverage. I don't think they realized that XM's soccer coverage was only for that competition.

I've always wondered why XM buried O&A on 202, amongst all the sports programming. Is that a position that O&A wanted? Did the decision come from elsewhere? Were they on 202 before the sports content moved all around?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I've always wondered why XM buried O&A on 202, amongst all the sports programming. Is that a position that O&A wanted? Did the decision come from elsewhere? Were they on 202 before the sports content moved all around?

O&A started some time in 2004. I think before MLB and traffic channels, the highest channel was 171, The Open Road. Who knows why. It's not a bad space for them because when XM first brought in O&A, you had to pay $1.99/mo extra for them :shock:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I also think that there is no point having The Pulse and Sirius Hits 1 around together, when they play alot of the same things. Channels like Alt Nation, Lithium, and the decades channels can pick up songs from the Pulse.

I agree that satrad should provide options for differing tastes, and to each their own.

Regarding The Pulse, it's a "90's and today" channel, and it's more adult-oriented than Hits 1, which only plays new music. Both of these channels are Pop, so there's not too much overlap with Alt Nation or Lithium.

Each of these channels has an audience, and I think we all agree that the single-artist crap takes away from the bandwidth to offer enough channel choices. Also, the "special programming" needs to go as well. On Sundays, The Spectrum does all Irish in the morning, Dylan's hosted crapfest early evening, and Nordic Rox at night! Each one of those special programs should be on a channel other than the Spectrum.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
O&A started some time in 2004. I think before MLB and traffic channels, the highest channel was 171, The Open Road. Who knows why. It's not a bad space for them because when XM first brought in O&A, you had to pay $1.99/mo extra for them :shock:

That makes sense. They probably wanted something "out of the way" and since it was a premium tier, they wanted to hide it a bit.

Then the sports stuff came in and went around them.

It would be fun to put them on 98 or 102 some day. Right by Howard and Playboy is where they should eventually go.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
It would be fun to put them on 98 or 102 some day. Right by Howard and Playboy is where they should eventually go.

98 is OutQ :shock:

I'll give XM props on not changing the channels around like Sirius has throughout the years. Although some of the talk channels have changed names and whatnot, they have pretty much stayed in the same place since 2001.

Sirius Stars have moved around how many times? Over various music channels have been shuffled around. Makes no sense :worried:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
98 is OutQ :shock:

I'll give XM props on not changing the channels around like Sirius has throughout the years. Although some of the talk channels have changed names and whatnot, they have pretty much stayed in the same place since 2001.

Sirius Stars have moved around how many times? Over various music channels have been shuffled around. Makes no sense :worried:

Ha. I was going off the Sirius lineup.

Grouping similar stuff together makes a ton of sense.

I think Sirius Stars was 103 at one point, then pushed to 102 when Blue Collar came around.

Maybe this adult/comedy lineup?
99 - Playboy
100 - Howard 100
101 - Howard 101
102 - Virus
103 - Blue Collar
104 - Family comedy (whatever that one is)
105 - Raw Dog
106 - Foxxhole
107 - Sirius Stars
108 - Stars Too
109 - OutQ

So anyway, what was this really "huge" channel shakeup? It seems like it was more of a bad thing than good. Just because people had to reprogram their presets, or was there something I don't know about?

Last edited: