Hulu

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Ever watch TV Shows off Hulu? :scratch:

I was going to watch Glee tonight and it asks me If I'd like to watch a 2min commercial for NuvaRing before the episode, then I get to watch the episode commercial free :right:

Love that NuvaRing :worried:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Nothing like shooting a rubber-band up your yoohoo to set the mood.
:hatsoff:

HuLu is looking to become a pay service soon. I don't think it'll work out very well for em.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've used it, but clearly their model is slowly changing. It is a pretty good service, but I think it depends on what their business model is going forward!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
PlayOn streams Hulu to my TVs. I watched a few things on it, but the content providers started cutting back on the number of episodes to protect DVD sales, so I haven't used it recently.

They're teaching people how to watch TV from the internet, then giving them motivation to get everything from torrents. Bad strategy.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Hulu might have a pay service that offers a ton of extra stuff, but I think the basic model they have now is the only way they can survive. If it's all pay, there goes 95% of their user base because they all use Hulu due to convience.

And yes, I watch Hulu nearly every day. Expecially these days when my primetime hours are short, and DVR space is low.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I've been watching Hulu for a little over a year. I will always choose the 2 min commerical before episode when given the option. Gives me a chance to go to the bathroom or grab a soda. I watch some tv shows on Netflix also.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I love Hulu. I watch all of the old Emergency! episodes on there.

I concede that this is not realistic, but I would expect that if Hulu starts charging, that should be in lieu of the commercials. In my opinion, Hulu is free because of the commercials. It's an insult to charge me to watch programming that is otherwise free, and pepper me with commercials.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
To me, basic cable is nothing more than an extension of broadcast television.
Premium channels like HBO and Showtime are a different story.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Remember when "pay cable TV" first came out? At first the concept was since you paid for it, there was no ads. Madison ave and Wall street put a quick stop to that and now we pay to watch ads.-Well except the OTA folks, they still get their ads free.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Remember when "pay cable TV" first came out? At first the concept was since you paid for it, there was no ads. Madison ave and Wall street put a quick stop to that and now we pay to watch ads.-Well except the OTA folks, they still get their ads free.

It drives me nuts that when I come home at 2:00 in the morning and I want to eat my Taco Bell on the couch and watch a little TV before turning in, that at least half of the pay channels are infomercials! :bigahh: I hate the idea of paying to watch something that I'm going to have to pay for. Barrrrrr!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I use Hulu on occasion and don't mind the commercials. All this "keep the internet free" nonsense is crap. The idealists spout these slogans...as they shell out $60 a month for broadband. You have to have ads, especially on the internet. At least with cable, some of your monthly bill actually goes to the content providers via the fees they charge to the cable company to carry their networks. With the net, the guys that own the wires keep it all, and Hulu can suck it.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't mind the commercials on the HuLu. I've watched a few things there. I just don't seem to find what I want to watch when I'm in the mood for it.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I use Hulu on occasion and don't mind the commercials. All this "keep the internet" nonsense is crap. The idealists spout these slogans...as they shell out $60 a month for broadband. You have to have ads, especially on the internet. At least with cable, some of your monthly bill actually goes to the content providers via the fees they charge to the cable company to carry their networks. With the net, the guys that own the wires keep it all, and Hulu can suck it.

Well...now you get at the heart of this whole net neutrality debate, right? The broadband service provider that you pay each month sees services like Hulu as leaches. Your broadband provider's position is that they've invested a bunch of money in infrastructure. Now a bandwidth intensive service like Hulu (or whatever) comes along and, with very little investment, sends their content over your ISP's pipes with the intent of profiting therefrom. Your ISP will tell you that the bandwidth intensive service should pay some sort of "toll" to move that data through their pipes. The third party service, of course, will say that we are already paying for that in our monthly check to the ISP.

If you are a ISP, your biggest fear is to become a dumb pipe.

For a service like Hulu, I could see them becoming sort of a hybrid sort of thing. Maybe you'll get some sort of limited free content, but need to subscribe ($$$) to get more current stuff. The problem is that if all of the things you want to watch are not on the same platform, how many services will you need to subscribe to in order to watch what you want? Hulu has done an OK job trying to aggregate a bunch of stuff, but there is a lot of stuff you have to go elsewhere for. How much are people willing to pay for stuff that's already free, or being "paid for" by a cable subscription?

I guess the day will soon come where it all converges, right?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Well...now you get at the heart of this whole net neutrality debate, right? The broadband service provider that you pay each month sees services like Hulu as leaches. Your broadband provider's position is that they've invested a bunch of money in infrastructure. Now a bandwidth intensive service like Hulu (or whatever) comes along and, with very little investment, sends their content over your ISP's pipes with the intent of profiting therefrom. Your ISP will tell you that the bandwidth intensive service should pay some sort of "toll" to move that data through their pipes. The third party service, of course, will say that we are already paying for that in our monthly check to the ISP.

If the ISP can't handle the volume, they can throttle it or lower its priority. They don't need to know what type of data it is, who it comes from or who it goes to. All they need to know is how big it is. The whine that they need to treat certain providers differently (regardless of volume) is BS produced to protect their own plans to market video on demand and similar services.

They want to be common carriers so they don't have to police the content they distribute, but then they turn around and say they want to police content when it might compete with their content offerings.

They want to brag about bandwidth and speed, but they don't want to deliver on the promises that lured in their customers. Bad business, and it shouldn't be legal.

And the DVR folks who skip the ads. I never watch live TV.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If the ISP can't handle the volume, they can throttle it or lower its priority. They don't need to know what type of data it is, who it comes from or who it goes to. All they need to know is how big it is. The whine that they need to treat certain providers differently (regardless of volume) is BS produced to protect their own plans to market video on demand and similar services.

They want to be common carriers so they don't have to police the content they distribute, but then they turn around and say they want to police content when it might compete with their content offerings.

They want to brag about bandwidth and speed, but they don't want to deliver on the promises that lured in their customers. Bad business, and it shouldn't be legal.

And the DVR folks who skip the ads. I never watch live TV.
There it is!
:bigclap:

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
It's not bad but IIRC every time you fast forward you see the same commercial that you just saw. I think I've been spoiled by my DVR.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
What sucks is due to the dvr, now shows have random ad breaks that last only two ads or sometimes 6 or more...really messes with the whole dvr flow.

Show of hands; how many of you have seen a car ad and actually bought that car based on it?

Its so sad that the ads for male enhancement and lubricated heat sensitive condoms and lotions or girls gone wild ads show up during kids shows. (if i was paying for my tv service i be pissed!)

I much rather pay for my content than have ads, but theres no real business offering that -yet. Until then I 'll stick with the usenet and my isp that doesn't throttle or condone usage along as your not spaming, hacking, or a kiddie sikko.