Howard's Leno rant

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
When interviewing Andy Richter today, Howard once again went into a tirade against Jay Leno. Each time he does so, he sounds more and more like an old, jealous fool.

Years ago, each December Howard had his staff put together a birthday show honoring his royal highness. Each year, the first caller to those shows was guess who……..Jay Leno. Getting up on West coast time was not a problem for Jay, and when Howard spoke to him, he was genuinely appreciative, and friendly with Jay. In later years when Howard was promoting his books and movie, he made several appearances on Jay’s show to promote his sub par products.

What happened? Was Stuttering John so important to Howard? He constantly claims not. Howard is all about money and for him to resent John for taking a much better offer is ridiculous. Just because Howard didn’t see John’s worth doesn’t mean someone else would not. Jay obviously did. If Howard is telling the truth about John, as unlikely as that sounds, then what is the real reason for hating his former friend so passionately?

Despite claims of how underhanded Jay handled things, was that any more underhanded than Howard (in the FM days) going into a new market and putting stations out of business, causing many people to lose their jobs? Of course not. It’s just business.

I believe Howard is jealous of Jay. Not only jealous of Jay’s talk show and stand-up achievements, his successful marriage, and his masculine hobby choices, I believe Howard is very jealous of Jay’s attitude toward everything. Jay isn’t obsessed about money like Howard is, and proves it by doing real charity events, pays his staff handsomely, and turns down network money….because he feels like it.

Despite all those reasons, I think deep down, Howard hates Jay most because when Howard’s name is brought up, Jay answers with something like “Didn’t he have a popular radio show once upo a time?â€

Yes, Jay. He did.

Reactions: limegrass69

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It's easy. Jay took Howard's bits without giving credit.

As for having a popular radio show, let's see Jay move to a relatively unheard of pay-platform and see how many of his fans sign up. Howard's fans went to satellite. A lot of people would either listen for stuff to complain about to the FCC, or they'd listen for "five minutes here and there."

The true fans made the move.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
It's easy. Jay took Howard's bits without giving credit.

As for having a popular radio show, let's see Jay move to a relatively unheard of pay-platform and see how many of his fans sign up. Howard's fans went to satellite. A lot of people would either listen for stuff to complain about to the FCC, or they'd listen for "five minutes here and there."

The true fans made the move.

What bits? Jaywalking? Are you claiming Howard was the first person to interview non-celebrities using dumb questions? LOL

As far as fans paying a subscription fee to see or hear Jay - they don't have to. Real advertisers will provide NBC all the revenue they need to fund Jay's new show.

"This next segment is sponsored by Ashley Madison" is something you're not likely to hear any time in the near future on an NBC production, or any network show, for that matter. It doesn't look good for Carson's Ribs or Nodora either. :)

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have no idea what is "really" behind that hate that Howard has for Jay. It has to be something more than the John thing. You can't blame john for leaving. He would never have made that kind of money staying on the Stern show. I remember Tom once saying that he would rather die than give John a raise. We all know how cheap Tom was. It just looks to be a deeper hate than the whole John thing or the whole Jay walking thing.

So Die....... where ya been???? long time no post man. I know you have issues with the way the show has been and all,but tell me who else could bring over the people Howard did? I'll tell you..... NO ONE. NO ONE in radio. O&A couldn't get people to pay $2 on XM so they raised everyone rates. Howard did what no one could have done and thats make people pay. By the way his advertisers have never been that great.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I thought Howard's unhealthy hate for certin people was nothing unusual. Like Rosie in the 90's and half a dozen other people?

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
I have no idea what is "really" behind that hate that Howard has for Jay. It has to be something more than the John thing. You can't blame john for leaving. He would never have made that kind of money staying on the Stern show. I remember Tom once saying that he would rather die than give John a raise. We all know how cheap Tom was. It just looks to be a deeper hate than the whole John thing or the whole Jay walking thing.

So Die....... where ya been???? long time no post man. I know you have issues with the way the show has been and all,but tell me who else could bring over the people Howard did? I'll tell you..... NO ONE. NO ONE in radio. O&A couldn't get people to pay $2 on XM so they raised everyone rates. Howard did what no one could have done and thats make people pay. By the way his advertisers have never been that great.

I agree it's more than the John situation. On the other board, I likened Howard and Jay to characters from Highlights magazine: Goofus and Gallant. Take a guess which one is which. LOL

I also agree with you that NOBODY could have attracted the type of audience that Howard did....to any medium. I, along with many others, thought it would be what all long time Stern fans have waited for....uncensored Stern. Well, he does curse, and he's uncensored as far as the FCC goes, but he self-regulates more than Tom or anyone ever restricted him during his FM days.

Many feel that he has not lived up to the hype.....his hype. I wish satellite had been around 10 or 15 years ago. I wonder what a real uncensored Stern show would be like. We'll never know.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
I do agree that it's enough already with the Leno ranting. We get it.

No worries though, just 1.5 yrs left in their contract right? Then you can listen to all that great radio out there. It'll be over Johnny, it'll be over.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

No worries though, just 1.5 yrs left in their contract right? Then you can listen to all that great radio out there. It'll be over Johnny, it'll be over.

NO!!!!!!!!! I will not go back to shitty radio. I will not listen to Bob and Tom. All they do is hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I won't do it Jabroni!!!! I won't! :p

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
that's just it, some people just live to bitch.

will there be less or more bitching or just different bitching when we have to tune in to something other than the HSS? or am I the crazy one here?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Don't forget too, we get some insider information and stories about big time celebs like Leno, but we don't get ALL the douchebaggery stories. Maybe Leno is just that, a big douche. We all know some douches in our own lives, no?

There is a missing element to the show on satellite in regards to callers who hate Stern and the show, because most are paying to listen to it, and the FCC rangling, but we did had the merger battle. And it does feel as if he's made it to home base on Sirius, everyone feels safe, they've made it and he's just counting the days til December 2010. I get that, but also, having the show nationwide, ribald and crazy, on all day all week long and still funny (IMO) far outweighs all the accomplishments on terrestrial, no matter when you feel those accomplishments occurred.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I love the Leno rants. Howard has made up with so many of the people that he was angry with, it is still nice for him to have people that he hates.

It has to do with several things.

1. The John situation and how Jay handled it.
2. Stealing bits
3. How LAME Jay is
4. How SAFE and just boring JAY LENO is.
5. How despite having a gig makign millions, he still does stand up every sunday for the money.

Howard thinks JAY is a robot with no feelings and really uncreative, unfunny with no edge. I think JAY represents everythign HOWARD hates--a former EDGY guy that gets a good gig and totally sells out, become WAY too safe and WAY too in the middle and really just sneaks around to protect himself (the often quoted iding in a closet story) and doesn't worry about anyone else.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

Please.... in addition to being tired old the same old tired Jay rant I find the Poor Me rant Howard throws himself into even more tired and played.

Poor Howard just gets back from a vacation and wants to bitch about how badly he hates coming to work and cant wait for it to be over. One Hundred Million a year + for 20 hours a week and 10 + weeks of vacation and your bitching. Grab a sledge hammer or a jack hammer or even a waiters tray where you might find yourself working 5,6 or even 7 days a week and putting in anywhere from 40 to 70 hour week. Howard should wake up in the morning and thank his lucky stars that he is as fortunate as he is, any other job and he would have killed himself already.

PS there is a lot of good and even great radio out there and in 1.5 years or less I and many others will be listening. There was life before Howard and there will be life after Howard.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
Howard's not liking Leno just shows he has good taste. Jay is a no-talent assclown who schemed his way into getting the Tonight Show.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
When interviewing Andy Richter today, Howard once again went into a tirade against Jay Leno. Each time he does so, he sounds more and more like an old, jealous fool.

Years ago, each December Howard had his staff put together a birthday show honoring his royal highness. Each year, the first caller to those shows was guess who……..Jay Leno. Getting up on West coast time was not a problem for Jay, and when Howard spoke to him, he was genuinely appreciative, and friendly with Jay. In later years when Howard was promoting his books and movie, he made several appearances on Jay’s show to promote his sub par products.

What happened? Was Stuttering John so important to Howard? He constantly claims not. Howard is all about money and for him to resent John for taking a much better offer is ridiculous. Just because Howard didn’t see John’s worth doesn’t mean someone else would not. Jay obviously did. If Howard is telling the truth about John, as unlikely as that sounds, then what is the real reason for hating his former friend so passionately?

Despite claims of how underhanded Jay handled things, was that any more underhanded than Howard (in the FM days) going into a new market and putting stations out of business, causing many people to lose their jobs? Of course not. It’s just business.

I believe Howard is jealous of Jay. Not only jealous of Jay’s talk show and stand-up achievements, his successful marriage, and his masculine hobby choices, I believe Howard is very jealous of Jay’s attitude toward everything. Jay isn’t obsessed about money like Howard is, and proves it by doing real charity events, pays his staff handsomely, and turns down network money….because he feels like it.

Despite all those reasons, I think deep down, Howard hates Jay most because when Howard’s name is brought up, Jay answers with something like “Didn’t he have a popular radio show once upon a time?â€

Yes, Jay. He did.

:2funny:

I can't believe you got that one wrong! :D

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut

Despite all those reasons, I think deep down, Howard hates Jay most because when Howard’s name is brought up, Jay answers with something like “Didn’t he have a popular radio show once upon a time?â€

Yes, Jay. He did.

You hit the nail on the head! Good post.