Howard warming up to the idea of internet radio

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Did anyone else notice this. Prior to this he had always said internet radio was a joke but now he sounded like he would do it.

Anyone else think he wants to work less and less and internet radio would be the only way to work 3 days a week?

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Oh he wants to work less and less. There is no doubt about that. The guys been at it for a while so I can understand why he wants to work less and less. I doubt he will ever do Internet radio. I say that because there will always be someone there to pay him big bucks if he wants.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Here's the math you need to do if you want to know which direction Howard will turn. If he says he's going straight ahead, wait for the sound of stopping. If he says he'll never get a tattoo, wait for him to get a tattoo.

He said a couple of years ago that Internet radio was gay and that only losers or geeks in their basements do podcast radio....wait for Howard to do some form of podcast radio.

The difference being, Howard WILL get paid to do Internet podcasting, unlike so many before him.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Howard will say anything in a contract year.

He has been "done" for the past 15 years at least.

I don't think he will do the internet podcasting, not yet. I think he will stay at Sirius in a limited capacity (3 days per week, maybe) for another 2 or 3 years and then MAYBE do something.

I don't think Howard will ever really retire.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
I don't think he'll do it, although I'd like to see him try.:)

Thinnk about it. When he left K-Rock for satellite, he had a huge audience still. A small percentage of that number jumped on board for his promised satellite revolution, myself included.

Ever hear the "fool me once, shame on you, etc". saying? How many suckers do you think will actually pay to hear him do even less of a show than what he's doing now?

Plus, I'm guessing a podcast would be easier to steal than the satellite show, which many people still do. He should retire when this current contract expires. Maybe over time, he can spin this failed satellite experiment to look like it was someone else's fault, and perserve what's left of his legacy.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I don't think he'll do it, although I'd like to see him try.:)

Thinnk about it. When he left K-Rock for satellite, he had a huge audience still. A small percentage of that number jumped on board for his promised satellite revolution, myself included.

Ever hear the "fool me once, shame on you, etc". saying? How many suckers do you think will actually pay to hear him do even less of a show than what he's doing now?

Plus, I'm guessing a podcast would be easier to steal than the satellite show, which many people still do. He should retire when this current contract expires. Maybe over time, he can spin this failed satellite experiment to look like it was someone else's fault, and perserve what's left of his legacy.

:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Is copy-and-pasting the same thing over and over the same thing as posting valid points? I don't think it is.

Anyway, Howard won't do Internet Radio because Howard is like his father. They both hate technology and have little grasp of it. The only difference between the two is that the bars are set at different heights. (I feel bad for Ben when he runs out of VHS tapes. That jump to DVR will be quite painful . . . for Howard. :D)

What I think Howard is doing is trying to gain leverage in the contract negotiations next year, just like all of his talk about retirement. I think he's still undecided, but by coming across as not wanting to come back, he'll be in a better position for terms in the negotiations.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Is copy-and-pasting the same thing over and over the same thing as posting valid points? I don't think it is.

Anyway, Howard won't do Internet Radio because Howard is like his father. They both hate technology and have little grasp of it. The only difference between the two is that the bars are set at different heights. (I feel bad for Ben when he runs out of VHS tapes. That jump to DVR will be quite painful . . . for Howard. :D)

What I think Howard is doing is trying to gain leverage in the contract negotiations next year, just like all of his talk about retirement. I think he's still undecided, but by coming across as not wanting to come back, he'll be in a better position for terms in the negotiations.

As for the VHS tapes, you could always tape over stuff.

I do think Howard is still thinking about it. I don't think he really knows. As for the radio audience jumping over to satellite, you can divide his FM audience into three types:

1) The die-hards that listened whenever they could, traded tapes, etc. They would go on MarksFriggin to find affiliates in other markets for when they were on the road.
2) The casual fans. Sure, they'd listen...when they could. If they missed a show, it was no big deal.
3) The "haters" that listened only to find stuff to complain about. These people would listen only to try to give Howard a bad name, or to throw him off the air.

Group one bought Sirius well in advance of Howard's first show on Sirius. Maybe they even bought it the day (or soon after) the announcement of Howard moving to Sirius, which was well over a year in advance of the first show.

Group two might have had Sirius for the first show, or maybe not. Maybe they tried to live without Howard. Some might have signed up in the summer of 2006, others maybe never did.

The haters, well, they couldn't care less. Howard isn't on "their" airwaves, so they don't care what he's doing, or where he is.

ANYONE who expected a majority of Howard's "audience" to be on Sirius was only kidding themselves. And, does anyone know how many millions of fans he had on FM?

Let's see someone else do better.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Nope, no internet radio...

No advertisers, such Adam & Eve or AshleyMadison.com, will ever pay for that sort of medium.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
Is Sirius going to sue him for plugging his Internet radio show during his last year on satellite?

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
As for the VHS tapes, you could always tape over stuff.

1) The die-hards that listened whenever they could, traded tapes, etc. They would go on MarksFriggin to find affiliates in other markets for when they were on the road.
2) The casual fans. Sure, they'd listen...when they could. If they missed a show, it was no big deal.
3) The "haters" that listened only to find stuff to complain about. These people would listen only to try to give Howard a bad name, or to throw him off the air.

ANYONE who expected a majority of Howard's "audience" to be on Sirius was only kidding themselves. And, does anyone know how many millions of fans he had on FM?

Let's see someone else do better.

Good analogy. I think a lot of the category 1 fans were turned off by the Sirius move. Many of them have moved into category 3.:) At first, it seemed too good to be true - uncensored Stern. Well, as the old saying goes - if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. His Sirius move was no exeption.

Hoard was never about rebelling against censorship. The FCC was never a great threat to him at K-Rock. He only bailed when they threatened to take away the only thing that matters to him - his money.

Hell, these days, he's pro-censorship. He censors himself and the show much more than his "arch enemy" Tom did on FM. None of that mattered, though. It was great radio when there was controversy. Today, there's no more celebrity-bashing, no more racy bits, no more mocking the people durung news time. I bet he would hit the delay if Fred played a laugh track at the mention of a news item tragedy. These days, "controversy" revolves around the news team's sign-off style. Not exactly cutting edge....

The only thing I disagree with was when you wrote that anyone who thought more of his audience was kidding themselves. I believe the company he pretends to work for these days thought exactly that. At the time of hiring him, I don't think they envisioned a three year stretch of zero profit and then bankruptcy - and this is after they eliminated their only direct competition. For Sirius' sake, I hope enough people stick around after Hoard's gone to keep them afloat.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I liked when Richard got his balls waxed.

That was funny.

/ Hoard sucks ass and is terrible and sucks and is terrible.
// I listen anyway.
/// I'm lonely and have no friends.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i totally just logged onto the site to talk about howards future and this is the first thread, sweet! yea howard has been sayin that he can get shit done on intrawebs radio but i doubt mel will let him leave dispite what howard was sayin on tues. show. i think mel knows that if howard goes, sat radio goes...end of discussion. that being said mel must keep howard if he wants to stay in the sat radio business. the ball is in howards court, he can say he wants to do whatever the fuck he wants...from one day a week to every other day, or anything inbetween.

i feel howard will be on sirius after this contract, no matter what. mels knows better than to not let that happen.

-jhdk

The Butler

Oct 14, 2008
Canton-Massillon, Ohio
He won't go to a podcast because he won't pony up the dough for the studio. Out of all of his projects, he's never had to put up his own money. He wants others to take the risk, yet he wants the bulk of the profit.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Good analogy. I think a lot of the category 1 fans were turned off by the Sirius move. Many of them have moved into category 3.:) At first, it seemed too good to be true - uncensored Stern. Well, as the old saying goes - if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. His Sirius move was no exeption.

Hoard was never about rebelling against censorship. The FCC was never a great threat to him at K-Rock. He only bailed when they threatened to take away the only thing that matters to him - his money.

Hell, these days, he's pro-censorship. He censors himself and the show much more than his "arch enemy" Tom did on FM. None of that mattered, though. It was great radio when there was controversy. Today, there's no more celebrity-bashing, no more racy bits, no more mocking the people durung news time. I bet he would hit the delay if Fred played a laugh track at the mention of a news item tragedy. These days, "controversy" revolves around the news team's sign-off style. Not exactly cutting edge....

The only thing I disagree with was when you wrote that anyone who thought more of his audience was kidding themselves. I believe the company he pretends to work for these days thought exactly that. At the time of hiring him, I don't think they envisioned a three year stretch of zero profit and then bankruptcy - and this is after they eliminated their only direct competition. For Sirius' sake, I hope enough people stick around after Hoard's gone to keep them afloat.

I think a lot of the "category one" people DID get Sirius, but a lot of them probably post over at SFN and bitch whenever he signs off the air at 10:25 AM. (Let's see other people constantly work 45 minutes past their scheduled end time day after day after day. It's not easy.)

My intent of the third group were the religious and parenting groups. Yes, they're out there. People literally DVR all sorts of programming just for stuff to complain about. (Jack Bauer had a GUN!!! on 24! OMGZ!!!)

I think the FCC was a threat. How many times did Howard want to say something, get edited by Tom, and change his wording? I remember one show when Howard and Robin were talking about Robin's fellatio on a sink. Howard blew his top for about 45 minutes yelling at Tom. "Fellatio" was ok, but having it followed by the word "on" resulted in a delay button.

"Have you ever made anal love?" Try again, FM radio.
"Asshole" was another one. Other hosts could say that. Howard? Nope.

Listen to Manson's "Fuck on the radio" bit. At one point, that was true. Some people COULD curse on the radio, if it was mumbled. But when Howard would say something like "backdoor entry" it got changed to "third entry."

People have called up during Artie's "absences" and asked for the Jackie laugh during the news bits. If you want to play a conspiracy, it's your own doing, but I don't think Fred likes to play the Jackie laugh when Artie is there. (Maybe they should get it changed to an Artie laugh?)

I'd say any of the Sal & Richard stuff could not get even HINTED at on FM. "Sal is putting an object in his area." It doesn't have the same ring as "What's in Sal's pouch."

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
He won't go to a podcast because he won't pony up the dough for the studio. Out of all of his projects, he's never had to put up his own money. He wants others to take the risk, yet he wants the bulk of the profit.

That sounds like a lot of people.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Is Sirius going to sue him for plugging his Internet radio show during his last year on satellite?

I sure hope so. It will make for a interesting year. Than in the following years he'll complain and that he works too hard and that this business is awful...

It's kind of shame that he went into Sirius so happy but perhaps the merger WAS the worst thing that could happen. Notice that most of the gripping has come after and Howard made a subtle joke about how Mel will pay him less now that there is only on premium service that people can hear easily in their car that will allow him to do what he wants. Sounds like the merger was an awful idea...glad you and that dumbie Robin cheered for it so loudly. I love Robin but her cheerleading of the merger was not one of her finest moments. Enjoy total irrelevancy/internet radio.