Howard talking about terrestrial radio and satellite radio

TurfToeTony

Oct 18, 2008
Buh Bye Howard. You said us Sirius paying listeners were #1. I am not following him to watered down radio (how do you spell p h o n y ? ) or to podcasts It's no fun if no one else is listening.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Yea well, if you don't want to hear Howard piss and moan about a 4 day week then refrain from listening, or convince enough of his audience to cancel their subs. He does it because he can, bottom line.

Look man don't take what all i said to heart. Like I said bottom line it's just a radio show. I don't bitch and complain very much. I wasn't really bitching and complaining when I started this thread. All I said is it offended me when Howard said he would hate to go back to regular radio because he would have do do 5 days a week again. I just felt like this...... what are we chop liver???? We all came over with you and we pay. It's not free anymore. I guess no one sees that point but me.

Every once in a while I may need to vent. If you can't handle that then why come in here and read the thread? Plus I can't cancel. I bought a lifetime subscription. :D

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
How much was Howard making a year before Sirius? It would seem his lofty $100M/year really changed him and his desire to do radio beyond the 5-year plan.

2 days a week down from 4 days a week down from 5 days a week would definitely ruin his legacy and banish him into complete obscurity. People would forget to tune in and he'd just become irrelevant. No one's going to tune in 2 days a week to hear how he created every bit, how Jay Leno sucks, if someone will ride the sybian, and how he's exhausted and doesn't want to be there. We all tolerate those things because there's so much show around it, but there won't be at 2 days a week.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
How much was Howard making a year before Sirius? It would seem his lofty $100M/year really changed him and his desire to do radio beyond the 5-year plan.

2 days a week down from 4 days a week down from 5 days a week would definitely ruin his legacy and banish him into complete obscurity. People would forget to tune in and he'd just become irrelevant. No one's going to tune in 2 days a week to hear how he created every bit, how Jay Leno sucks, if someone will ride the sybian, and how he's exhausted and doesn't want to be there. We all tolerate those things because there's so much show around it, but there won't be at 2 days a week.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Who cares how many days he can negotiate anyway? No I don't get your point, it's pointless. If you're a big fan, you'd listen if he did one day a week. It doesn't offend me if he rails on doing 5 days a week on terrestrial if he were to return, because I don't feel he will.

Reactions: ProperModulation

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Who cares how many days he can negotiate anyway? No I don't get your point, it's pointless. If you're a big fan, you'd listen if he did one day a week. It doesn't offend me if he rails on doing 5 days a week on terrestrial if he were to return, because I don't feel he will.

bingo. if he wants to slowly retire and gradually work fewer days each contract, then good for him (I only hope that I can do that myself one day). Fans will tune in no matter how much or little he is on the air. Fewer days probably means fewer listeners, but who cares. I listen on my ipod at work so I could give a crap if there are 10 others listening to the show, or 10 billion. If you decide that fewer shows per week is too much of a personal insult from Howard, then just pretend that he retired and stop listening. The rest of us will be enjoying our two Howard days per week...

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Christ I can't even vent once in a while. I'll tell ya what. I will never ever say a bad thing about Howard ever again. I enjoy the show I enjoy Howard. I never planned on not listening. I'm not one to ever rail on him or the show. I just don't do that. You know what fuck it. You guys enjoy the board. I really don't want to be here if i get railed on for venting every once in a while. You guys always say over and over...... Just don't listen just don't listen. Christ guys I'm not perfect. I've bought two life time subscriptions and countless radios and docks and shit like that for Howard so yea I'm a big fan. So when he says I could go back to regular radio and do 5 days a week that kind of bugs me. If I didn't believe in the show and Howard I never would have spent all that money and came over to Sirius. Take care guys.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009

You're crazy. That's sheep talk right there.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
The whole argument that Howard should do only a few shows a week because Oprah does 5 weeks a year is flawed.

TV is completely different than radio and even Howard knows that. Howard loves Sirius because it's a payday and he gets away with his lazyness. That's all there is to it.

How often is Oprah on her own radio channel? And how much is she making again? He's pissed because she, much like the other large names Sirius paid for, aren't doing shit to promote the product (Shade 45, anyone?) There's an obvious incongruity and he's calling them on it. Lazy or not, it's good business sense (but I don't necessarily agree with)

It may or may not sound like it to any of you, but there is work that goes into those 4 1/2 hours of on-air work time that we hear. There is time before and after being put into the show.

Sure; I think we can all agree on that. But how much extra does Howard put into it and then rush through the shows? I'm still stumped on replays of MTT or Best Of shows.

I like what you're saying here. I really can't wait to see how this unfolds.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Christ I can't even vent once in a while. I'll tell ya what. I will never ever say a bad thing about Howard ever again. I enjoy the show I enjoy Howard. I never planned on not listening. I'm not one to ever rail on him or the show. I just don't do that. You know what fuck it. You guys enjoy the board. I really don't want to be here if i get railed on for venting every once in a while. You guys always say over and over...... Just don't listen just don't listen. Christ guys I'm not perfect. I've bought two life time subscriptions and countless radios and docks and shit like that for Howard so yea I'm a big fan. So when he says I could go back to regular radio and do 5 days a week that kind of bugs me. If I didn't believe in the show and Howard I never would have spent all that money and came over to Sirius. Take care guys.

Good lord man, keep yer pantyhose on! You started a discussion where others have chimed in so not everything is directed at you.
Posted via Mobile Device

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
The final year of a contract is approaching. Don't get fooled by the on air negotiation he will be spouting.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The final year of a contract is approaching. Don't get fooled by the on air negotiation he will be spouting.

Exactly. Everything up to Thanksgiving 2010 is hype. I won't believe anything until sometime in the area of that date.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
If Howard really was retiring he'd have been hyping it up already as his last year in radio. They would've had a Howard Stern roast planned and everything.

He's not retiring. The only thing in question is how much he'll be offered and how many days. If Sirius doesn't hire him someone else will. No doubt about it.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
You're crazy. That's sheep talk right there.

No, thats just the truth. Not everyone thinks Howard is our own personal trained monkey who should do our bidding because we are paying $13/month for Sirius. I'll take whatever Howard I can get while he still gets out of bed at 4a.m. and drags his ass to the studio.

I'm still entertained. If you aren't, thats fine, but don't suggest that someone is a sheep when the same could be said of someone that continues to tune in and pay their sub. fee when they obviously have some sort of issue with the situation.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard's options:

1) Retire
2) Podcast
3) Come back to Sirius in any capacity.
4) Go back to FM

Out of those options, i'd have to put number three as the current favorite.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Howard is done on Sirius this time next year. It was a great run, whether you chose to bitch about it the whole time or not. You can unsubscribe christmas of 2010 and listen to or watch whatever godforsaken entertainment show you can find after Howard leaves. I think he'll develop a television game show and be doing that sometime in 2011.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Howard is done on Sirius this time next year. It was a great run, whether you chose to bitch about it the whole time or not. You can unsubscribe christmas of 2010 and listen to or watch whatever godforsaken entertainment show you can find after Howard leaves. I think he'll develop a television game show and be doing that sometime in 2011.

The only thing Howard does well is radio, and I do think he is intrigued by podcasts, and may try it, but I doubt he will do it full-time (or as full-time as he does anything). I think his whole "game show host" rap is just a bit for the air, he just wants to knock what seemingly easy work it is.

I was a little surprised he revealed recently he doesn't even have a film/TV development company anymore - and how that got no mention anywhere. I know he would string people along with hopes of "Howard Stern: The High School Years" and a "Porky's" remake, but at least we now know why these things will never transpire. He's not going to develop anything in the future if he couldn't do those, he's never going to act again, so that really only leaves radio, unless he wants to write another book, which I think he has in him.