Howard talking about terrestrial radio and satellite radio

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I kind of took offence this morning when Howard was talking about terrestrial radio and then satellite radio. He said he doesn't want to go back to terrestrial radio and do five days a week. Then he said it's different with satellite. Now I kind of get what he's saying because of all the other content. What gets me is the fact that Howard always says he brought over 2 to 6 million people to Sirius. He also says those people came over for him.

So why is terrestrial different? You would think he would be on 5 days a week on Sirius because we pay for it. Does that make sense to anyone. I'm not trying to start a no Friday bitch thread. I just don't get why its ok for him to be on 5 days a week for free and only 4 when we pay. Think about it...... we have to buy the radio's the docks and boomboxes and then pay monthly. What do you guys think?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
It's because you pay for satellite that the whole model is different. In order to make money, terrestrial radio needs advertisers. And to attract advertisers, they need content. And because stations are competing for those advertising dollars, they want that content to be around as much as possible.

With satellite, you pay your fee, and get access to a whole bunch of content. As a user, you show that you have specific or certain needs that aren't served by traditional radio. As such, the model for content can be bent or changed. Howard can work only a few days a week (and Oprah can work hardly at all ;) ) because he doesn't have to fight to make sure people are listening and bringing in the ad revenue. The commercials they sell are just gravy at this point.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
The most infuriating part of that segment was Robin saying he wouldn't have to work five days a week and him just being there would make him a savior of some sort. Robin has to realize by now, that's not the way FM radio works.

"Some TV shows are only on one day a week." :rolleyes:

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
The most infuriating part of that segment was Robin saying he wouldn't have to work five days a week and him just being there would make him a savior of some sort. Robin has to realize by now, that's not the way FM radio works.

Robin will do or say anything to shine Howard on

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
It's because you pay for satellite that the whole model is different. In order to make money, terrestrial radio needs advertisers. And to attract advertisers, they need content. And because stations are competing for those advertising dollars, they want that content to be around as much as possible.

With satellite, you pay your fee, and get access to a whole bunch of content. As a user, you show that you have specific or certain needs that aren't served by traditional radio. As such, the model for content can be bent or changed. Howard can work only a few days a week (and Oprah can work hardly at all ;) ) because he doesn't have to fight to make sure people are listening and bringing in the ad revenue. The commercials they sell are just gravy at this point.

You make great points. It's just a little frustrating hearing Howard say that stuff. I bought a few radios and two lifetime subscriptions.

She doesen't realize that yet. Why is she even talking about TV. Some of those actors can work 16 hour days 4 or 5 days a week. Howard gets in a tizzy sometimes when they work over 4 and a half hours.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
It may or may not sound like it to any of you, but there is work that goes into those 4 1/2 hours of on-air work time that we hear. There is time before and after being put into the show.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
The whole argument that Howard should do only a few shows a week because Oprah does 5 weeks a year is flawed.

TV is completely different than radio and even Howard knows that. Howard loves Sirius because it's a payday and he gets away with his lazyness. That's all there is to it.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Recently Bubba talked about how they could "all" move to podcasts, including Howard, citing it as very possible. He claimed someone was already doing it (I forgot their name, sorry) and getting plenty rich off of that model. If Howard went that route, how does he make any money doing so?

At this point I don't imagine Howard goes anywhere, and will probably agree to doing 3 days a week when the dust settles. I base this on absolutely no expert knowledge, though. :)

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
We've talked about Howard going to podcast before. He would have to put up too much of his own money to get if off the ground and even then he wouldn't be able to get as much money as he gets from Sirius.

On top of that Howard likes having a big company take the financial risks.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It may or may not sound like it to any of you, but there is work that goes into those 4 1/2 hours of on-air work time that we hear. There is time before and after being put into the show.

They should air the creative meetings and the other "behind the scenes" stuff. There's certainly a few fans who would be interested in that stuff.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
We've talked about Howard going to podcast before. He would have to put up too much of his own money to get if off the ground and even then he wouldn't be able to get as much money as he gets from Sirius.

On top of that Howard likes having a big company take the financial risks.

Yeah, I guess Howard can't blame "management" if he's running a podcast... ;)

So am I to understand Adam Carolla basically fronted his own money and works for nothing now? I'm so confused. I'm gonna do some research into the topic.

Thanks!
:wave:

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
He would need a shitload of podcast subscribers to match what he's making now at Sirius.

I never said he wouldn't make money but nowhere near what he makes now.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
He would need a shitload of podcast subscribers to match what he's making now at Sirius.

I never said he wouldn't make money but nowhere near what he makes now.

And the show dynamic would probably change - hard to keep a studio full of people around if you can't pay them. Probably couldn't afford a booth for Robin, either! :D

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)

So am I to understand Adam Carolla basically fronted his own money and works for nothing now
? I'm so confused. I'm gonna do some research into the topic.

Thanks!

thats a total suprise if true. I mean adam corolla is cheaper than howard is.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

I know they put time in before and after the show I get that. I really do. I think it just gets on peoples nerves sometimes when he gets right back from vaction and bitches about being there. Then he will rush through the show so he can get out of there. Like I said it's 4 days a week man. We all got 5 days a week for free and now we pay for 4. Yes I know there is other content on Sirius, but even Howard himself has said 2 to 6 million people came over for him. You can't have it both ways..... talk about other content and then say well these people are really here for just me. Then again it's just a radio show.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I just can't wait til jan 2011, where hopefully bubba can take over doing mornings on h100 or 101 5 days a week and uncensored as well.

and let grumpy howard do 3 days a week in the afternoons.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008

So am I to understand Adam Carolla basically fronted his own money and works for nothing now? I'm so confused. I'm gonna do some research into the topic.

Thanks!

Yes he did. Adam started doing a podcast from his home earlier this year. His downloads would do battle with NPR's "This American Life" and "Fresh Air" for the top spot on iTunes podcast downloads. He fronted the money each month, something in the thousands of dollars each month for his daily one hour show.

Because of its popularity and partly because of its relative low risk investment, CBS partnered up with Adam to offset his costs and they are now either partly funding or they're completely funding his podcasts. Adam was receiving a paycheck from CBS this year no matter what, from his last contract, so by becoming a podcast partner CBS is at least getting something out of this in farming some guests Adam's way, that sort of thing.

I really don't see Howard ever doing this. Not on the scale that his fans are accustomed to, not ever.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
thats a total suprise if true. I mean adam corolla is cheaper than howard is.

That's total bullshit.

Adam paid for the distribution and for the making of his own film. He also paid for the services of his old sound effect person out of pocket for the last year of his radio show because management wouldn't give him a raise.

I don't see how you came up with that idea that Adam is cheaper than Howard. Adam appears to be a very generous person.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Yea well, if you don't want to hear Howard piss and moan about a 4 day week then refrain from listening, or convince enough of his audience to cancel their subs. He does it because he can, bottom line.