Howard taking break from radio?

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
After the news with Steve, Howard talked about the end of his contract with Sirius Dec, 2010. He said no matter what his decision on terrestrial vs. sat he'd take a break from radio for a while. He also said 60% of Sirius subs listen to him.

Does anyone know if he was responding to this Orbitast post.

"Rumor" has it: Howard Stern to return to broadcast radio in 2010
June 13, 2009 9:11 PM | 42 Comments
That "rumor" comes from Bay Area media commentator Rich Lieberman, who writes about it on SFGate. Lieberman says that there's a "very real possibility" that Howard Stern will make a return back to terrestrial radio in 2010, according to his media tipsters out of New York.

Lieberman goes on to cite the struggling economy as one of the reasons why Stern will make the jump back to FCC-regulated airwaves.

But where would Howard Stern go?
Satellite Radio News, Reviews & Community for Sirius XM Radio - Orbitcast.com

Last edited:

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
he's not taking a break. mind you he's leaving in mid december of 2010 for his xmas break, and that'll take him to the end of his contract. I suspect during that hiatus or before, he'll know in what capacity he's coming back. I believe jackie when he said last week, that howard loves doing the show, and he will probably do it as long as he possibly can.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
He's been on a break from radio since the beginning of 2006....shortly after he recieved his bonus and stock - which he quickly sold, proving how much he really believes in Sirius.

If he has desires to go back to FM, he had better hope the station owners that would consider hiring him don't listen to Sirius. Lately, Howard seems to really not want to be there - from beginning to end, even more than normal - which is saying a lot. He sounds disinterested, ticked off, and very irritable (and not in a good way).

Just quit already, Howard. You already have, just not in the physical or official sense. Sirius probably won't even sue you as you've stuck your anteater nose into their bank account and sucked it clean, leaving them without the resources to beat you in court like Clear Chanel did time after time. LOL

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
Just quit already, Howard. You already have, just not in the physical or official sense. Sirius probably won't even sue you as you've stuck your anteater nose into their bank account and sucked it clean, leaving them without the resources to beat you in court like Clear Chanel did time after time. LOL

quit because his 'fans' aren't satisfied with the work ethic? my guess is that sirius mgmt would flip their wigs if he tried to bail, subscriber count would go from 20 mil to 1/2 that when folks stop renewing and I thought the pay-for-itself count was something like 3-4 mil subs?

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
The show is entertaining me more the last 3 weeks than it has been for the last year before. He can't quit yet. I thin you want him to quit because you are running out of things to complain about/getting tired of repeating yourself.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
The show is entertaining me more the last 3 weeks than it has been for the last year before. He can't quit yet. I thin you want him to quit because you are running out of things to complain about/getting tired of repeating yourself.

I agree. I don't want to confirm how I know this, but my inside sources are telling me that Howard has a sizeable offer from a new kind of form of radio. Something so groundbreaking it's taking over the bible belt......................Welcome to TRADIO!

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Howard is positioning himself, that's all. He's done it before, he's doing it now.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
quit because his 'fans' aren't satisfied with the work ethic? my guess is that sirius mgmt would flip their wigs if he tried to bail, subscriber count would go from 20 mil to 1/2 that when folks stop renewing and I thought the pay-for-itself count was something like 3-4 mil subs?

The "pay for itself" figure aside, I'm going to guess that when Sirius hired Howard, they weren't just looking to break even, or cover his salary: they were looking to profit. I believe they were betting on many more people following him over...then, as his uncensored revolution took off, many more would sign up. That isn't exactly happening.

Howard claims that 60 - 70% of the satellite audience are his fanbase. If that's even remotely true, then that alone spells the end of satellite. Cancellations are continuing, and the company has not even come close to turning a profit. In fact, they're bankrupt! How many new subs has Howard brought on - recently? Oh, yeah, the "20 million" from XM. Hahaha......

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
Howard claims that 60 - 70% of the satellite audience are his fanbase. If that's even remotely true, then that alone spells the end of satellite.

I think you are on to something there. Or maybe bankruptcy after HS retires or returns to testicle radio will allow SiriXM to shed some of the dead weight deals which bring in zero point zero subs.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008

The last three weeks were better than all of last year? Is that really an accomplishment?

I want him to quit because he really does not want to be there. Why torture yourself? Leave already. This morning, at about two minutes into the show, he says "only four hours and fifty eight minutes to go." Don't worry, Howard, you left at 10:30 - you beat the system once again.

The people I feel sorry for are the Sirius employees, stockholders, and the people who earn their living from satellite radio, not to mention the fans. When the main attraction constantly acts like he has a normal job that he dreads, what does that say about the industry that he is self admitedly "revolutionizing?"

The answer is......Not a whole lot.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
The last three weeks were better than all of last year? Is that really an accomplishment?

I want him to quit because he really does not want to be there. Why torture yourself? Leave already. This morning, at about two minutes into the show, he says "only four hours and fifty eight minutes to go." Don't worry, Howard, you left at 10:30 - you beat the system once again.

The people I feel sorry for are the Sirius employees, stockholders, and the people who earn their living from satellite radio, not to mention the fans. When the main attraction constantly acts like he has a normal job that he dreads, what does that say about the industry that he is self admitedly "revolutionizing?"

The answer is......Not a whole lot.

I think the show is still pretty good.:bigthumbup:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The show is entertaining me more the last 3 weeks than it has been for the last year before. He can't quit yet. I think you want him to quit because you are running out of things to complain about/getting tired of repeating yourself.

Exactly.

I don't like country music. Do I go on country music forums saying "country sucks, it's the same crap repeated over and over again about broken trucks and girls who left yesterday?"

No. I ignore it. I know it's out there, but I couldn't tell you the most popular country artist. I just don't waste my time on it.

If you don't like Howard, then piss off. Save your breath and go listen to music, O&A, or whoever. I don't care what you listen to.

Why the hell is this so hard to understand?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I want him to quit because he really does not want to be there. Why torture yourself? Leave already. This morning, at about two minutes into the show, he says...

You want the guy to quit, yet you tune in every morning to listen? I don't understand that, honestly.

The Butler

Oct 14, 2008
Canton-Massillon, Ohio
Howard claims that 60 - 70% of the satellite audience are his fanbase.

I think you are on to something there. Or maybe bankruptcy after HS retires or returns to testicle radio will allow SiriXM to shed some of the dead weight deals which bring in zero point zero subs.

Howard math. Sirius had fewer subs than XM at the time of the merger. About 550k have signed up for the "Best of Sirius". That's less than 10 million.

Last edited: