Howard Stern on the Best of Sirius

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Is anyone familiar with how the Howard Stern Show is aired on the best of Sirius package on XM??

Here's the issue... my wife's new car has XM built-in. However, she's been using her Sirius Starmate to listen to the Howard Stern show on her morning drive to work. Recently, her Sirius antenna wire was damaged and it no longer establishes a connection to the Starmate ("Antenna not detected").

I'm wondering if it would be best to ditch the Starmate (so she won't have to plug and unplug it all the time, and no need to buy and re-wire a new antenna) and just switch her subscription to XM with the Best Of Sirius package, but I need some details...

Will she be able to listen to Stern live (Mon-Thurs) on the "Best Of" as she did on Sirius? Are the Stern channels the same on XM as they are on Sirius? In other words, are they broadcasting all of the Howard Stern channel programming simultaneously on Sirius and on the equivalent channel on XM with the Best Of package?

With regard to The Howard Stern Show, are there any disadvantages moving her subscription from Sirius to XM with the Best Of package?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Is anyone familiar with how the Howard Stern Show is aired on the best of Sirius package on XM??

Here's the issue... my wife's new car has XM built-in. However, she's been using her Sirius Starmate to listen to the Howard Stern show on her morning drive to work. Recently, her Sirius antenna wire was damaged and it no longer establishes a connection to the Starmate ("Antenna not detected").

I'm wondering if it would be best to ditch the Starmate (so she won't have to plug and unplug it all the time, and no need to buy and re-wire a new antenna) and just switch her subscription to XM with the Best Of Sirius package, but I need some details...

Will she be able to listen to Stern live (Mon-Thurs) on the "Best Of" as she did on Sirius? Are the Stern channels the same on XM as they are on Sirius? In other words, are they broadcasting all of the Howard Stern channel programming simultaneously on Sirius and on the equivalent channel on XM with the Best Of package?

With regard to The Howard Stern Show, are there any disadvantages moving her subscription from Sirius to XM with the Best Of package?

I use XM with best of Sirius and don't miss Sirius at all. It's everything I ever listened to on Sirius, and then some.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Yes. If you get the "Best of" package, then you'll get complete programming from both 100 and 101. Everything.

The downside is that you'll be paying $16.99 a month (before any long-term contract discounts) and you'll only be able to listen in the car. I think, even in this case, a password for online listening is extra...but you'll be able to listen at a higher bitrate.

Some of the channel numbers are different (100 and 101 are the same), but if you use your presets, you'll be fine. For example, if she has Classic Rewind as preset number 4 on Sirius, she can have it as preset 4 on XM. She'll still be pushing that same preset button, but it'll be going to a different channel number.

The car ones are nice, since they're built in to the car stereo. The bad thing? They're built in to the stereo. You can't take it out and put it in your house, or wherever else you want it.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Best of Sirius on XM is the best way to go. The extra 4 bucks is nothing because you literally get everything that satellite radio has to offer, like Howard, baseball, the NBA, oh and Oprah! The only disadvantage is Howard sounds better on Sirius, simply because the XM talk channels sound like someone playing a bad joke on listeners. Howard sounds the best of them all, but still sounds better on the Sirius side. Still, it's well worth switching over to XM.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
"The only disadvantage is Howard sounds better on Sirius, simply because the XM talk channels sound like someone playing a bad joke on listeners."

What's up with that? Is it like listening to Stern on say RAW DOG?

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Thanks for the info, all. I'll look into transferring her Sirius subscription to XM with Best Of in her car.

Thanks again!

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I don't know about the factory XM radios, but some of the factory Sirius radios aren't "best of" compatible. The one in my wife's Ford won't get boxm. That could be a down side.