Howard Should Temper His Gloating with Reality

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I think Howard should temper his gloating about the demise of KRok with a little realty, such as:
a) KROK did not want Howard to leave... they did not fire him ... they begged him to stay...it was not a matter of money... it was Howard's decision (and a good one for my listening pleasure) to go to Sirius for freedom of speech..
b) You can't fault KROK with trying to promote its lousy product (David Lee Roth) after Howard left
c) the horrendus number of commercial minutes at KROK was surely approved by and pushed by Mr. Mel Karmison (sp?)
d) Sirius has been is on the verge of bankruptcy for a while now....

On the other hand, CBS did sue him...........

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Just a pet peeve of mine (as a radio fanatic) - With a few historical exceptions, East coast station call letters begin with 'W', West coast with the letter 'K'; so it's K-Rock (nickname) or WXRK (call letters). Not KROK.

But in reality, it's neither now.

PS- Interesting trivia - When originally drawn up, the call letters for radio "stations" applied to ships at sea and thier land bases, and the 'W' was designated for the Pacific, 'K' for the Atlantic, and 'N' for the Navy. Somehow the letters 'W' and 'K' got swapped before the regulation was implemented.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
I think Howard should temper his gloating about the demise of KRok with a little realty, such as:
a) KROK did not want Howard to leave... they did not fire him ... they begged him to stay...it was not a matter of money... it was Howard's decision (and a good one for my listening pleasure) to go to Sirius for freedom of speech..

They did not appreciate how easy he made their jobs and they thought they could plug anyone in that spot and do the same. This problem started years before the end of his FM run. The case of wine for 20 YEARS of making millions for them is a great example. If they had his back on some things, he wouldn't have been so ready to jump ship.

He carried #1s in multiple markets across the nation. None of his replacements got close in any single market. He held those high ratings for years, while his "replacements" basically dismantled a radio network in only 3 years, without ANY competition to speak of.

Maybe you should temper your Howard hate...

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Howard's biggest beef with FM is they stopped going to bat for him with the FCC. Instead of paying or fighting the fines, year after year they cowardly accepted the FCC's continuously shifting line in the sand and blamed it all on Howard. Once the FCC saw it could get that kind of reaction, they stepped up the pressure, effectively neutering Howard Stern. Gloat? I can think of no better reason to gloat. Shit, I've got a boss right now who neuters me due to cowardice and if he was fired tomorrow, I'd dance a jig on his desk while he packed his box of shame.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Maybe you should temper your Howard hate...

"... it was Howard's decision (and a good one for my listening pleasure) to go to Sirius for freedom of speech.."

How do you benefit the forum by attacking me (calling me a Howard hater is an attack).... a long-time, hard-core fan of Howard Stern...? There is not that much happening on the forum... Whenever Howard rewrites or recasts or just restates the history of something like his departure from WXKR, it is worth a discussion, don't your think.. ? The personal stuff is so tiresome... so high school... Let's just discuss the subject...Mr. Howard Stern...

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
"... it was Howard's decision (and a good one for my listening pleasure) to go to Sirius for freedom of speech.."

How do you benefit the forum by attacking me (calling me a Howard hater is an attack).... a long-time, hard-core fan of Howard Stern...? There is not that much happening on the forum... Whenever Howard rewrites or recasts or just restates the history of something like his departure from WXKR, it is worth a discussion, don't your think.. ? The personal stuff is so tiresome... so high school... Let's just discuss the subject...Mr. Howard Stern...
Anyone that says anything even close to negative here is branded a hater or a pest. This is no place for constructive criticism.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
Anyone that says anything even close to negative here is branded a hater or a pest. This is no place for constructive criticism.

It's only constructive criticism if the subject of your criticism is aware of it...and I'm guessing nobody from the HSS has spent a millisecond on this message board.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
It's only constructive criticism if the subject of your criticism is aware of it...and I'm guessing nobody from the HSS has spent a millisecond on this message board.

Imagine that, criticizing a person who will never read the criticism is "constructive", while criticizing someone who actually posts here is an "attack."

Stop the world, I want to get OFF!!! :drool:

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008

I see nowhere in Howard's latest statements on the death of K-Rock where he recasts or restates history. Could you provide an example?

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
b) You can't fault KROK with trying to promote its lousy product (David Lee Roth) after Howard left
c) the horrendus number of commercial minutes at KROK was surely approved by and pushed by Mr. Mel Karmison (sp?)
d) Sirius has been is on the verge of bankruptcy for a while now....

On the other hand, CBS did sue him...........

A) They wanted him to stay, but they didn't beg. They SHOULD have begged.

B) You CAN fault CBS Radio for picking Roth in the first place.

C) Maybe. Probably.

D) But not. Not yet anyway.

Just a pet peeve of mine (as a radio fanatic) - With a few historical exceptions, East coast station call letters begin with 'W', West coast with the letter 'K'; so it's K-Rock (nickname) or WXRK (call letters). Not KROK.

But in reality, it's neither now.

PS- Interesting trivia - When originally drawn up, the call letters for radio "stations" applied to ships at sea and thier land bases, and the 'W' was designated for the Pacific, 'K' for the Atlantic, and 'N' for the Navy. Somehow the letters 'W' and 'K' got swapped before the regulation was implemented.

E) One of the first radio stations, if not the first, was KDKA in Pittsburgh, PA. Go figure.

F) Relatively all negative here + Relatively all positive elsewhere = pest.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Is that you Anthony C?

No, it's hank the dwarf. It's written in that box to the left of his post. Can't you see it, or has the blinding nothingness in the desert wasteland of The Virus forum affected your eyes?

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
E) One of the first radio stations, if not the first, was KDKA in Pittsburgh, PA. Go figure.

Yes, that was the "historical exception" I was thinking of.

F) Relatively all negative here + Relatively all positive elsewhere = pest.

Careful, you may be guilty of "unconstructive criticism". Better critique someone who will never read your criticisms real quick!

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
I'm too busy trying to figure out this math problem to ponder that. Maybe you can help?

----

Sorry, can't help. I just took a peek into The Virus forum and the barren desert sun fried my brain.

Which explains a lot of things.

Reactions: Bark