Howard "Sceeved Out" Because Leno Only Gets $20 Million?

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Howard "Schkeeved Out" Because Leno Only Gets $20 Million?

Howard is now pissed off... actually "schkeeved out" - because Leno is only taking $20,000,000 from NBC. How crazy is this? He's furious because Leno won't demand more money?? He's so eaten up with hatred that he can't think straight. And I didn't hear a word of common sense from Robin or Artie. Am I the only one who finds this kind of thinking insane? Reminds me of the tirade a while ago that Leno had to be cheating on his wife because he's on the road so much. Is Howard still going to his therapist?

Last edited:

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
Howard is now pissed off... actually "schkeeved out" - because Leno is only taking $20,000,000 from NBC. How crazy is this? He's furious because Leno won't demand more money?? He's so eaten up with hatred that he can't think straight. And I didn't hear a word of common sense from Robin or Artie. Am I the only one who finds this kind of thinking insane? Reminds me of the tirade a while ago that Leno had to be cheating on his wife because he's on the road so much. Is Howard still going to his therapist?

Howard is obviously blinded by his pure hatred for Leno. Why does he care if the guy turns down more money because he feels he makes enough. Sounds pretty damn admirable to me.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Totally agree with OP 100%. I listened to the segment and went, "WTF?" They're all bonkers and the HATE Leno.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I just heard that and figured it would get a strong reaction here. I think Howard has made little secret of the fact that it's 100% about money and maybe always has been.

The topic of Jay Leno really makes Howard say crazy things....like the fact that he isn't so mad about Jay taking away John but is more upset about Jay Walking, which is barely "The Homeless Game".

Robin spoke a little common sense although it was not directly about the salary thing. She said "Do you think that someday you'll regret all the things you've said about Leno?" Considering how many eyebrows the topic of Leno's "small" salary brings up against Howard's heavily inflated one, which many non-Stern fans would argue is one reason for the massive debt, that day might come sooner rather than later. Let's face it....if Howard's salary was a little lighter, I don't think the music lineup would such a massacre and the three measly stations without any equivalent and unique genres (Boombox, Strobe, Backspin) would still be around. Anyone remember the topic that was laughed off pretty quickly where someone asked if Howard would give up some of his salary in order to help Sirius. Chance of that is now clearly 0.0!

Last edited:

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I just heard that and figured it would get a strong reaction here. I think Howard has made little secret of the fact that it's 100% about money and maybe always has been.

The topic of Jay Leno really makes Howard say crazy things....like the fact that he isn't so mad about Jay taking away John but is more upset about Jay Walking, which is barely "The Homeless Game".

Robin spoke a little common sense although it was not directly about the salary thing. She said "Do you think that someday you'll regret all the things you've said about Leno?" Considering how many eyebrows the topic of Leno's "small" salary brings up against Howard's heavily inflated one, which many non-Stern fans would argue is one reason for the massive debt, that day might come sooner rather than later. Let's face it....if Howard's salary was a little lighter, I don't think the music lineup would such a massacre and the three measly stations without any equivalent and unique genres (Boombox, Strobe, Backspin) would still be around. Anyone remember the topic that was laughed off pretty quickly where someone asked if Howard would give up some of his salary in order to help Sirius. Chance of that is now clearly 0.0!

However detrimental Howard's salary may be to Sirius now, the fact is that Sirius would have gone under years ago if they hadn't signed him.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Howard is obviously blinded by his pure hatred for Leno. Why does he care if the guy turns down more money because he feels he makes enough. Sounds pretty damn admirable to me.

I agree with you. Its widely known that Leno really takes care of his people. He doesn't take huge raises and lets his staff get more money. I've heard that he makes sure Christmas is done right with his staff too. I'm not a fan of his or the Tonight Show,but thats pretty damn nice.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
However detrimental Howard's salary may be to Sirius now, the fact is that Sirius would have gone under years ago if they hadn't signed him.

Yes, that's absolutely true. But what if XM had hired Stern for roughly the same amount of money? Would satellite be in the same position it is today?

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
The Leno hate is hard to get behind. If Howard wanted to keep Jon, he should have paid him better. By every account (except Howard's), Leno is one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. Personally I'm not a fan of his bland comedy, but he does seem to be a genuinely nice person.

Last edited:

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
The Leno hate is hard to get behind. If Howard wanted to keep Jon, then he should have payed him better. By every account (except Howard's), Leno is one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. Personally I'm not a fan of his bland comedy, but he does seem to be a genuinely nice person.

I remember John saying on the air that he asked Tom for a raise. Tom said he would rather die than give him more money. I don't think Howard had anything to do with it. I guess he was making $50,000 and he was offered $500,000 from Leno. I know Fred was real pissed that John left. I don't know if it's because of how he left or if it's the amount of money he is being paid on Leno. Howard always said he wasn't mad at John. He was mad at Leno because he never gave him a heads up. I don't know what good that would have done. Tom was super super cheap.

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
I remember John saying on the air that he asked Tom for a raise. Tom said he would rather die than give him more money. I don't think Howard had anything to do with it. I guess he was making $50,000 and he was offered $500,000 from Leno. I know Fred was real pissed that John left. I don't know if it's because of how he left or if it's the amount of money he is being paid on Leno. Howard always said he wasn't mad at John. He was mad at Leno because he never gave him a heads up. I don't know what good that would have done. Tom was super super cheap.

Newsflash, Howard put Tom in charge of the marbles. Howard didn't want to be the bad guy.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
It might not have been his intention, but by hiring John to do the announcements and for the publicity that decision aroused in his show, Jay really made out quite well in the deal. On top of that, Jay got to publicly humiliate Howard by proxy. Sure it was Tim's call...I mean it was Tom's call to pony up money for John, but by hiring John for such a good pay day, it only proved to shine more of a light onto the building reputation of Howard keeping talent on the cheap.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

I am no Leno fan but I say good for Jay. :bow:

Money isn't everything and I am pretty sure that Jay has more then enough to maintain his lifestyle if he never worked another day in his life.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
I agree with you. Its widely known that Leno really takes care of his people. He doesn't take huge raises and lets his staff get more money. I've heard that he makes sure Christmas is done right with his staff too. I'm not a fan of his or the Tonight Show,but thats pretty damn nice.

If that is true, it's even more unsettling to hear Howard's rant on Leno. After all, the $100 million figure many say is for the entire Howard crew...but most hint about being underpaid (and based on recent things said on the show, Artie gets paid a $1 million a year, Gary gets paid less). But Jay Leno is a huge scum bag....

Also not a Leno fan (yet for some reason, I end up watching his damn show more often than the always funnier Letterman...then again, most of the time I'm on the computer and not paying attention) but I think saying that he is a bad guy for talking less pay speaks volumes about Howard. I can't imagine people listening and working for Howard weren't freaked out about that (and I don't know that Robin or anyone else was fully supporting Howard's position on that rather than just backing off). But I do agree that Leno is a big of an insincere robot. I sort of got that from an interview I just saw with him, too.

Last edited:

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
11_58808.jpg

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
By every account (except Howard's), Leno is one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. Personally I'm not a fan of his bland comedy, but he does seem to be a genuinely nice person.

Every account? Lets not go overboard. Early in his tenure at NBC, Jay Leno basically let Helen Kushnick act like a raving tyrant treating all guests, publicists, etc. badly. She was notorius for threatening and blackballing people who dared appear on Letterman. While it may not have been Jay acting like this, his allowing it to happen reflects on him - (Those people who have an issue with Howard for passing the buck should also have a problem with Jay, since he often turned a blind or, or passed the buck to her.)

Jay also angered quite a few people during the writers strike. I believe he paid his people out of pocket, so I'm sure they like him. But the guys walking the picket lines who didn't quite luck into that position probably weren't that happy about it.

I miss the Jay Leno that used to appear on Letterman back in the 80s.