Howard 100 News: All 23,000 hours of tapes now digitized

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
From MarksFriggin.com:

Howard 100 News And Wrap Up Show Previews. 12/02/09. 9:55am
Steve said that they also have a story about how all 23,000 hours of Howard's show being digitized. All of the shows are available on one server. It took nearly 5 years to make it happen. Howard said they had a whole warehouse full of tapes and now they're all digitized and forever saved. Howard said that you can lose the tapes but now that it's digitized they'll be able to save it all.

Howard said Jeff Shick was telling him about how many terabytes they have. He said it was like 3 terabytes of stuff or something like that. Steve said they have it backed up somewhere else too.

The optimist in me says that this'll lead to a wider variety of specials, Mastertape Theatres, etc. with fewer repeats.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
I thought to myself "Who cares if they won't play any of it."

They still would have to put work into cutting it up and making the specials.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Wow. I do hope they were able to get a hold of the stuff that they were missing from where the tape was screwed up.

Regardless of what Howard decides to do we'll have classic Stern for a long time.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I thought to myself "Who cares if they won't play any of it."

They still would have to put work into cutting it up and making the specials.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard this.

gets ready to hear best of the week friday that has already played 5 times each day this week and another MTT from 3 months ago on sunday afternoon.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I wonder if they tagged the show with keywords or built-in a way to search for specific things in each show. For instance, can they cross reference when both Sam Kinison and Jessica Hahn were both on the same day and play that specific show or segment?

Now that would be key.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I was thinking the same thing when I heard this.

gets ready to hear best of the week friday that has already played 5 times each day this week and another MTT from 3 months ago on sunday afternoon.

At least they've been playing MTT repeats from the previous year. But, what i'm saying is hopefully now that it's all digitized, a lot of the "hard work" is done and they can just play it.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I wonder if they tagged the show with keywords or built-in a way to search for specific things in each show. For instance, can they cross reference when both Sam Kinison and Jessica Hahn were both on the same day and play that specific show or segment?

Now that would be key.

Likewise, if they want to do a "themed" special, such as "fight week", they can pull some obscure tape from 1992, instead of something a lot more recent.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
IMO its for when howard signs his new contract, if he does. He will only have to do 1 or 2 live shows, and the rest will be old shows

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
IMO its for when howard signs his new contract, if he does. He will only have to do 1 or 2 live shows, and the rest will be old shows

I just had a thought about this:

If Martha and/or Oprah can get killer deals, making tons of dough and only working 1 or 2 shows a week, I bet he's thinking, "Shit! Why not me!?!" (Edit: I'm thinking this aspect has already been brought up - but I feel special for thinking about it)

In that respect, I can't blame him.

Being a long time listener, it's still a bummer to think about live shows decreasing. However, with a nice supplement of old shows that haven't been replayed in a while will probably work out nicely.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
all i gotta say, is if howard re-ups for less days, they better f*ckin pay bubba to be sirius exclusive 5 days a week. and hopefully doing mornings. its pretty obvious he's the heir apparent.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I just had a thought about this:

If Martha and/or Oprah can get killer deals, making tons of dough and only working 1 or 2 shows a week, I bet he's thinking, "Shit! Why not me!?!" (Edit: I'm thinking this aspect has already been brought up - but I feel special for thinking about it)

In that respect, I can't blame him.

Being a long time listener, it's still a bummer to think about live shows decreasing. However, with a nice supplement of old shows that haven't been replayed in a while will probably work out nicely.

We'll complain either way.

"Howard is live! Yay! Oh wait, that means he's gonna half-ass it, complain about having to come in, and ask if there's anything left in the news."

"Howard isn't live. They've already played this special in the past few years, etc."

Hopefully they'll do it smart and actually use the tapes, instead of replaying the various bits over and over again. I'm guessing they almost HAD to do this, as they didn't have much digitized.

If Howard were to leave, don't the tapes go with him? I wonder what happens to the "digitized" tapes? Would they go too?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
23,000 hours are all finally digitized? I'm not sure what this means or how it relates to anything that Howard plays on his channels currently.

In some ways, it's too late. Four or five years ago I might have cared a lot about this news, but these days I can't help but feel that it means very little at all. There must be a caveat or a way to misuse over twenty years of shows. What they've done with the tapes, in relation to 'Mastertape' has been a massive cluster fuck.

I don't have any reason to believe that this latest news mention means anything at all. With the possible exception that it could be Howard's future presence on satellite or his bargaining chip should he want to take his ball and go play elsewhere.

Meh....

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
We'll complain either way.

"Howard is live! Yay! Oh wait, that means he's gonna half-ass it, complain about having to come in, and ask if there's anything left in the news."

"Howard isn't live. They've already played this special in the past few years, etc."

Hopefully they'll do it smart and actually use the tapes, instead of replaying the various bits over and over again. I'm guessing they almost HAD to do this, as they didn't have much digitized.

If Howard were to leave, don't the tapes go with him? I wonder what happens to the "digitized" tapes? Would they go too?

this is 100% true. the deal howard made for the krock tapes was that sirius could use them throughout the life of this current contract and after that, ownership of said tapes go back to howard.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
23,000 hours are all finally digitized? I'm not sure what this means or how it relates to anything that Howard plays on his channels currently.

In some ways, it's too late. Four or five years ago I might have cared a lot about this news, but these days I can't help but feel that it means very little at all. There must be a caveat or a way to misuse over twenty years of shows. What they've done with the tapes, in relation to 'Mastertape' has been a massive cluster fuck.

I don't have any reason to believe that this latest news mention means anything at all. With the possible exception that it could be Howard's future presence on satellite or his bargaining chip should he want to take his ball and go play elsewhere.

Meh....

Perhaps. We won't know until the time comes. I'm thinking that "when you can only play 500 hours of tapes, then you have what you have." Now that they have a lot more, perhaps they can play a lot more.

If you live in an apartment, you have what you have. If you move into a house with a front yard, then you'd be foolish not to use what you have. But like I said, we'll see what happens.

this is 100% true. the deal howard made for the krock tapes was that sirius could use them throughout the life of this current contract and after that, ownership of said tapes go back to howard.

So it sounds like on 1/1/2010, Howard owns the tapes, even if he's at Sirius XM or not.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I am hoping if its all digitized it also means it's all easy to find and play.

It's one thing if they have it all on a computer in raw format, un marked except for date and length. It's something COMPLETLY different if they tagged it and have it available to look up quickly. I doubt that though.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
its pretty obvious he's the heir apparent.
Howard will have no "heir apparent," a lot of his fans are still conditioned to hate everyone else and most will move on.

Bubba, Ellis, or whoever else comes along, no matter how successful they get with their shows, will never amass the audience Howard did in his prime.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Howard will have no "heir apparent," a lot of his fans are still conditioned to hate everyone else and most will move on.

Seems a lot of his fans are so conditioned to hate "Not Howard" that they even hate an aging, older Howard.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)

Bubba, Ellis, or whoever else comes along, no matter how successful they get with their shows, will never amass the audience Howard did in his prime.

I dont know why. bubba's shows are actually funnier than howard is most of the times. esp back in 2008 on sirius.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
all i gotta say, is if howard re-ups for less days, they better f*ckin pay bubba to be sirius exclusive 5 days a week. and hopefully doing mornings. its pretty obvious he's the heir apparent.

heir apparent to what, Howard? No way. Sirius obviously doesn’t think that. Howard doesn’t think that and the fans don’t think that.