how you know things are bad: fast food edition

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
many of you may not be aware, but i'm a manager at mcdonald's. i was transferred to a store that, to be quite honest and fair to the area, could be called a suburban ghetto with a lot of older people with fixed incomes and single mothers with two or three kids and is right next to a fedex depot so we get a lot of blue collar workers as well.

last night someone tried to pass off a very obvious, very poorly copied counterfeit 10 in drive thru. how bad was it? take a picture printed with an inkjet printer, take one drop of water and drop it on the picture and hold the picture at an angle so that the ink runs. it was that bad. stevie wonder could look at that huge drop of water discoloration and tell it was a fake bill. monopoly money would hold up better. but that's not the worst part of it.

this white 18-23 year old female told me that she "worked here" (never saw her before in my life) and that's how she knew it was real because she's a cashier. even if she worked for mcdonald's (which is what she meant, yeah right...), most mcd workers say they work for mcdonald's, not "here" unless they actually worked "here". and second, even if she was just a cashier for someplace else, how stupid must you be to try to pass off an obvious fake bill to someone in drive thru AND try to con the manager saying its real? we have seen a rash of fake bills at this particular store, with 2 fake 20s and another fake 10 within the last 3 weeks. this is the first person anyone has caught red handed though.

i know she tried to really get over, because when i confronted her about it, she pulled out a debit card and paid for her order. these people really need to know YOU ARE NOT SLICK, STOP TRYING TO GET OVER.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
She's lucky you didn't call the po-po on her.

A kid in the dorm when I was in college was cutting the corners off of $20's and carefully gluing them over the 5's on 5 dollar bills. He did it 5 or 6 times before he got arrested. Always the same carry-outs. The dood was waaaaay too stoned for his own good.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
She's lucky you didn't call the po-po on her.

A kid in the dorm when I was in college was cutting the corners off of $20's and carefully gluing them over the 5's on 5 dollar bills. He did it 5 or 6 times before he got arrested. Always the same carry-outs. The dood was waaaaay too stoned for his own good.

Sure, everyone knows Abe is on the 20 now!! lol

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sure, everyone knows Abe is on the 20 now!! lol

For sure. Not the sharpest bulb in the box, by any means, but how often do you look at the faces? It's usually just the number in the corner and that's it.

I'm surprised the kid figured that much out through the haze of bong smoke. Not that there's anything wrong with bong smoke. Just don't make decisions that have federal charges associated with them.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
McChickens with buffalo sauce are the best on those late weekend nights.

McDoubles do the trick too. ;)

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Back in my fast food days, I took a roll of dimes from some teenagers for some Apple Pies. While they were cooking I got suspicous, broke them open, and sure enough, it was a roll of pennies, with a dime on each side. I leaned out the window, and presented them with the evidence. They shoved their change they had gotten back in my hands and took off...

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Given how many times they get my order incorrect, it doesn't seem so wrong.:rolleyes:

If I had a dollar for every wrong order ive been handed at McD's....:p

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
kinda-sorta, my second job was cashier then cook at a burger joint, but it was locally owned and not very fast. (no drive thru)

i've also spent way too many years in retail sales and management. im no stranger to spotting the counterfeit bill and similar scams.

i have also been a consumer all of my life, and in my experience, if a business screws up its almost always in their favor and not the costumer's. sadly as a consumer often you have to fight to prove you were wronged.

my sarcasm was not meant to encourage counterfeiters or make what they do sound ok, it was just a lash out at all those times i get back on the road after leaving the drive-thru, only to find my onion rings are really cold fries and my shake is strawberry (Ewwww!) instead of chocolate- :cry:

unfortunately its the public that hindered the governments attempts to thwart counterfeiting. i got a chance back in the 90's to tour a secret faclity where anti counterfeiting ink is made for the us mint. I even got to see proof sheets of some of the new anti-counterfeit bills before they decided which to go with. some of the designs were very wild- they sure would have been a lot harder to counterfeit than what we actually ended up with, but everyone would have freaked if we had went with a safer, foreign looking non-greenback, so we got an anti counterfeiting bandaid instead. and the problem persists and continues to grow, even tho this chick at ctkatz's place was a total rookie.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Fast food is tough work. If you took the time to ensure that every order was perfect, you'd get reamed because you're not getting the food out fast enough. I realize the system is designed to reduce the chance that an order is wrong, but you are dealing with human beings doing repetitive, tedious work...and sh*t happens.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Pizza is as close to fast food as I've ever worked. Pizza places are fun to work at. And if you're going to be a regular customer that gets deliveries, tip well. You really, really don't want to piss off the guy who spends 10-15 minutes alone with your food before you get it.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
unfortunately we got hit again tonight. this time i didn't catch them. its like the 5th (that i know of) time its happened in the last 3-4 weeks, all of them in drive thru.

i said above that this store is kinda what you could call a suburban ghetto. i was joking with some of the crew yesterday that maybe the attempts are becoming more frequent because the welfare checks were running out. with the poor effort to make these bills, and the poorer effort to check them, maybe i'm right and they figure out they can get over on some people. in the back of my mind i'm worried what the higher-ups are going to say to me about this, because this is the third time it's happened on my shift.

and when i mean welfare checks, i'm aware that there are some people who are trying to raise themselves up from where they are, but most of the people who come in don't really seem interested in doing that.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
unfortunately we got hit again tonight. this time i didn't catch them. its like the 5th (that i know of) time its happened in the last 3-4 weeks, all of them in drive thru.

i said above that this store is kinda what you could call a suburban ghetto. i was joking with some of the crew yesterday that maybe the attempts are becoming more frequent because the welfare checks were running out. with the poor effort to make these bills, and the poorer effort to check them, maybe i'm right and they figure out they can get over on some people. in the back of my mind i'm worried what the higher-ups are going to say to me about this, because this is the third time it's happened on my shift.

and when i mean welfare checks, i'm aware that there are some people who are trying to raise themselves up from where they are, but most of the people who come in don't really seem interested in doing that.

I think, that you have a responsibility to report them. Take it out of your hands.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Sounds to me like they need to increase welfare benifets and unemployment benifits in your area. It's a proven fact poverty leads to an increase in crime. Don't report those people, they need a helping hand, not a jail sentence.:(

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
He has to report it.

It's illegal, period. And if he doesn't he'll be complicit.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Wow. This is sad stuff in many way ctkatz. I don't think anyones situation is so bad that it would ever justify making their own counterfeit. That's a serious law someone is breaking. One that ends up really costing everyone.

This particular woman who pulled this seems so insanely stupid and this trick she is pulling to get a meal is probably one of many. Is there any sort of hotline or access to some higher ups are Mcdonalds that can help with some solutions or ideas on how to solve the situation and perhaps be able to deal with this specific woman if she comes back?

She is likely known already by local police is my guess but I think they deserve to know what's going on at least.