How To Open A Sirius Sportster Replay?

Legger

May 24, 2014
Hello DRC,
I'm new to this but am hoping that you can help me with a problem that has been plaguing me (and it seems a few on this forum) for quite some time. My Sportster Replay plays music fine but the backlight flickers and goes out all together dependent upon what pothole I hit or don't.

I've read that if you open up the unit that it is nothing more than a quick solder job which I'm totally comfortable with but I am having trouble getting the unit open. I've tried removing both of the screws that I can see on the bottom right and left on the back and the back is loose enough but something else is clearly holding it down. I don't want to break it because it works great but I'd also like to see the screen, especially at night.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you could provide a pic or video to show me what I'm doing wrong, I would be forever in your debt!

Thanks everyone,
Legger

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Welcome to the DRC Legger.

I've always been too chicken to take my radios apart, but...
Have you pressed down on any stickers to see if there are any hidden screws?
If you can slip something like a drivers license (I recommend stealing someone else's, not yours.... ;) ) between the seams and try slipping it around the perimeter, you may be able to pop the case snaps.

sirius-internal-new.jpg

It looks like there are 2 notches on the right side of the board in the picture that look like possible clasp locations.

Seems like someone around must have taken one apart.

Legger

May 24, 2014
Thanks for the
Welcome to the DRC Legger.

I've always been too chicken to take my radios apart, but...
Have you pressed down on any stickers to see if there are any hidden screws?
If you can slip something like a drivers license (I recommend stealing someone else's, not yours.... ;) ) between the seams and try slipping it around the perimeter, you may be able to pop the case snaps.

sirius-internal-new.jpg

It looks like there are 2 notches on the right side of the board in the picture that look like possible clasp locations.

Seems like someone around must have taken one apart.

Hi HecticArt,
Thanks for the info. There is one little indent in the middle of the back but I've peeled back the stickers and dug out some of the plastic but there isn't a screw as far as I can see. I must be missing something.

Also, I noticed that the board you referenced above is a different size and shape as my SSR but maybe it has some sort of clips along the outside that I need to release. Below is what I have.

Thanks again.
Sirius Sportster Replay.jpeg

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for the

Hi HecticArt,
Thanks for the info. There is one little indent in the middle of the back but I've peeled back the stickers and dug out some of the plastic but there isn't a screw as far as I can see. I must be missing something.

Also, I noticed that the board you referenced above is a different size and shape as my SSR but maybe it has some sort of clips along the outside that I need to release. Below is what I have.

Thanks again.
View attachment 1426
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it's the same board, even though that's how it's listed. I also wasn't sure if the case is a different proportion than the board. I've got a Lynx, so I can't do much more than spitball and hope someone has one laying around they are willing to try popping apart.

Keep fussing with it, and let us know how you do.