How much do you pay for your cell phone?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I have sprint with "unlimited everything" and they just raised the price to $117/month. Seems pretty damned steep to me, especially considering I don't use that many minutes. Thinking of changing phones and/or plans.

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
My monthly bill is $159, I have 3 phones (family not all are mine)..one of which is a blackberry and requires an additional data plan. I also have unlimited texting for all 3 which is an additional $30 per month.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
AT&T - 2100 minutes with rollover
2 iphones with unlimited everything including TeleNAV GPS ($10 per month per phone)
2 run of the mill phones for my kids piggybacked on our family account
$205/month

My company actually covers all of this for me.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The question is, do you use enough minutes to warrant an unlimited plan??
Could you benefit from a prepaid plan?
Could you switch to a smaller carrier like MetroPCS? You'd pay less, but get less coverage.

Maybe you'd be better off with a "non-unlimited" plan which would get you the benefit of your military discount.

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
$115 a month.
iPhone data plan
450 talk + Rollover minutes.
Unlimited Texting.

I barely use my phone AS a phone. E-Mail, Web browsing, GPS and 'googling' stuff is the primary use.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Verizon, 2 lines sharing 450 minutes, 17% employer discount (I used to work in local government and they whored onto some state plan, though I have since left I still get the discount), texting is $0.25 per, no data, $57 a month.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
The question is, do you use enough minutes to warrant an unlimited plan??
Could you benefit from a prepaid plan?
Could you switch to a smaller carrier like MetroPCS? You'd pay less, but get less coverage.

Maybe you'd be better off with a "non-unlimited" plan which would get you the benefit of your military discount.

I'm confused by this as well... I rarely use my phone, yet my bill is showing 1100 minutes! I don't understand how that's even possible.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have Sprint's Everything Data Plan. $69.99 per month, 450 anytime minutes, nights start at 7PM, unlimited weekends, (unlimited) data, and I can call any cell phone number for free. I also have the $7 insurance on my BB in case of issues.

I get a nice discount from my employer, so my bill is about $67.00 per month.

Unlimited Everything is a nice plan that Sprint offers, however, they do not allow discounts of any kind on that specific plan, because they consider that plan to be discounted already.

I noticed in another post that you used 1100 minutes last month. Where some of these minutes used on nights/weekends or spent calling a cell phone? If so, then you could probably jump down to my plan, get a discount for being in the military, and save yourself $50.00 per month.

:bigthumbup:

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
My Tracfone "plan" comes to about a dollar a week, plus six cents a minute and two cents a message for light usage. And the flip phone, with camera and Bluetooth, was $40 with no contract. (LG 600G). No web or data, however, other than SMS/MMS. Not complicated to arrange, just requires some knowledge of Tracfone math.

I'm amazed at what folks pay for cell service.