How much data is required?

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
Hey guys! I am going to buy a 32 Gig i-phone 3gs and I was wondering how much data it takes to stream sirius? (mostly Howard) They offered me 500 mb or 1 GB per month for browsing, is this enough to listen on regular basis? Also, does it require premium internet or is the regular fine? Currently with my POS nokia I use about 6 MB data a month but I suspect it will be alot more when browsing with an i-phone. Just wondering what you guys average per month in data for browsing? I will use it primarily to listen to my sirius internet account but also some youtube, facebook and email. Also what app is best for playing Sirius? I also read about the jailbreaking but first I need to know about the data package I need. Unlimited would be best but I don't think my carrier offers it. Any info will be much appreciated! Thanks.

AZDude

Oct 18, 2008
Mesa, AZ
1 GB of data gives you about 72 hours of streaming @ 32kbps, with some data left over. At 128kbps, this gives you about 18 hours of streaming, with some data left over.

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Howard

Hey guys! I am going to buy a 32 Gig i-phone 3gs and I was wondering how much data it takes to stream sirius? (mostly Howard) They offered me 500 mb or 1 GB per month for browsing, is this enough to listen on regular basis? Also, does it require premium internet or is the regular fine? Currently with my POS nokia I use about 6 MB data a month but I suspect it will be alot more when browsing with an i-phone. Just wondering what you guys average per month in data for browsing? I will use it primarily to listen to my sirius internet account but also some youtube, facebook and email. Also what app is best for playing Sirius? I also read about the jailbreaking but first I need to know about the data package I need. Unlimited would be best but I don't think my carrier offers it. Any info will be much appreciated! Thanks.

What app you gonna use to get Howard?

AZDude

Oct 18, 2008
Mesa, AZ
From what I read, you can use pocket tunes radio to listen to howard stern. Just use the browser and log in to the sirius web player. Unless I'm mistaken, Howard is NOT available on the Sirius/XM iPhone app. That is why you should use pocket tunes radio.

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
I heard pocket tunes can record also, which is not that important because I can record on my PC and import to phone instead of wasting data GB's for that. Looks like I am getting a 3 GB per month data package which should be plenty.

nillam1

Sep 14, 2009
Also, do you guys know if you have to enter that stupid captcha bullshit every log in? and does the player stop every 1 1/2 hrs. to check if your still listening? I have avoided that on my PC for a long time now using STREAM_ON, and I do not miss that crap!