How many people have you referred to XM & SIRIUS over the years?

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
In coming up with this thread, I racked my brain to remember how many I referred. When discussing satellite radio with prospective subs, whether it was family, friends, workmates, or even strangers, I would always try to be subjective to their preferences (especially since XM & SIRIUS were quite different in their approaches).

Here's what I remember for people I directly signed up:

XM: 31
SIRIUS: 20

I'm sure indirectly, I got more to become subscribers to either service. I was always preaching the word on the retail front, since I didn't trust the Best Buy employee to tell them about satellite radio.

How about you all? (waiting for AZJoe's response here...)

Last edited:

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Referred? I have no idea; there were way too many to count. I do know that I got 8 subscriptions but other than that I didn't follow-up with people to see if they signed up or not (especially since many were strangers). I also have an internet account that I give out to people, for a month at a time. After the month is up I change the password and pass it on to a new person (who doesn't have Sirius or XM).

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am checking in Ryan......:)

I started in 2001 with XM, and trying to recall to the best of my feeble memory, I think I got about 12 people to get XM. I got Sirius in 2002, and made a bigger push of it for quite awhile, and I believe I go 39 people to get the dog service. So 51 total is about right, I myself have had up to 4 XM accounts and 7 Sirius accounts (at same time). I am down to 3 Sirius and 2 XM's currently.:)

GrĂĽpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I good handful, I think. Directly, I know I got 2 people hooked, and at least 3 or 4 that enjoy it also, not sure if they got either one for sure, but I always spread the good word whenever possible.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I have told my family about Sirius. So my parents, sister, brother-in-law and his mom are all subscribers to Sirius. Plus I have told quite a few of my coworkers, but I really don't know if they subscribe or not.

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Embarassingly, I have not sold anyone on Sirius or XM. :(
Not for a lack of trying however. I've been loving Sirius for 4 years and have mentioned it to family, friends, and coworkers. Guess I'm not a good salesman.

Reactions: Manco

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Only 2 or 3.I have several friends/co-workers/aquatences who have heard it and love it but then I start babbling about antenna placement and such and it tends to scare them off.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
There has been many, many, I have no specific numbers it isn't something I've kept up with. But I've talked and told probably 50 or 60 people about it, how many got it, I could't stay, but many of them did.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
Four to XM.
Two to Sirius.

Most of my family has XM now, and my boss has Sirius. A friend of mine also has Sirius. I think I could've have referred more, but with this merger, it has been hard to sell people on satellite radio.

Lately, I have been trying to sell people I know Slacker. Not sure on the results yet.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I have around 10 subs to my belt so far. More to come hopefully. I've noticed a real uptick in recognition and enthusiasm in the last year or so.

J_T_Brown

I ALWAYS have my MyFi on at my desk at work and have answered lots of questions about the service. I have always had an XM at work even when we lived back in California. We've given away 5 radio's and subs as gifts over the years. Our kids have their own subs, 2 XM, 1 Sirius. Back in Ca. people were always willing to check out my XM radio, loved the channels and sound, but most wouldn't pay for it! We'll have XM until we can't anymore!

MNXMFan

Oct 24, 2008
I was responsible for about 10 XM subscribers. I myself once had 3, down to one and thinking of getting rid of it, but waiting to see what happens. Those 10 have also referred some people. I believe all are gone now. One of my big selling points used to be Special X. My last referral left after hearing both the degradation of sound quality, and the dismantling of Fred, XMU, and Lucy.