How long 'til my company blocks this site?

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by phillyphan, Oct 13, 2008.

1. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

It's nice being able to access this site from work (even if temporary). I wasn't able to get on SBS from work for the past two years. How long do you think it will take for them to block it? Today is 10/13.
  2. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Do they block it based on if they catch you spending time on it?
    Today not only will I not block this place at TSS, but I will be encouraging people to post.
  3. Davis

Davis New Member

That all depends on you how much you come to this site. If you want to avoid it (prolong the block), use a proxy. www.hidemyass.com belongs to a great network of proxies.
  4. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Maybe they were just blocking the long wait times on those TCP/IP sockets?

At my work they didn't block it but I would get "Network Error" a lot because the firewall gave up on the connection before SBS could return any info.
  5. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

I think they look at the URL, title of site and keywords. If they see the site labelled as SIRIUS, XM, or streaming or MP3, entertainment or games, they will block it sooner rather than later. Since the URL does not contain the words SIRIUS, XM, MP3, iPOD, they may not block it as quickly. We'll see.
  6. Davis

Davis New Member

Some go off the URL, some the tags, some the screen, and some the IP (some more than one). If it is the URL you can often use the IP and get around it that way.
  7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

My past jobs blocked SBS and the Sirius Online Player.
  8. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

That technique used to work but they've caught up with that.
  9. Deacon

Deacon New Member

Great question. My company uses WEBSENSE, so anything you can do so that websense doesn't pick you up would be great.
  10. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

I haven't had a chance to post lately since my company blocked this site when I returned from vacation on January 5th.
  11. tsave31

tsave31 New Member

wow...what are they so concerned over?
  12. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

One of my clients blocks this site as well.
  13. dlynx

dlynx New Member

They probably aren't concerned over this site itself, but they use one of the common filter lists available. I know that websense and a couple filter list creators have recently added a few sirius/howard/bubba sites to the lists they maintain.

The hidemyass and other web proxies may be an option for a few of you, but most of these lists also block those sites.

Your best bet in my opinion is to find out who your network admin is and bribe them with lunch or a few drinks after work :)
  14. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

For a site like this, the thing they are most concerned with is the non-business use of business related resources. It's a real time waster (I speak from first hand experience).

For adult-themed sites, it's obvious why your company would not want you to have access.
  15. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

It took about 2 weeks for my job to block the site.