How long have you been listening to Howard?

When did you start listening to Howard?

• Total voters

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Just curious to see how long some of you have been listening to the show. Don't really intend on this thread being an "Old Howard vs. New Howard" kind of debate, but I suppose it may end up that way.

As for myself, I'm a latecomer to the party. The terrestrial show was never available in Houston, and I'm only 25 anyway. So I've only been listening to Howard since his move to satellite. Watched plenty of the E! shows though back in high school, which got me interested in the first place.

Reactions: Wayne Edwards

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Since he was syndicated in Philly. Not sure of exact year.

Are you really Jewish?

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
1988. First heard him when I visited a buddy in NYC. Then I lived in Jersey for a while. Both my girlfriend and I were huge Stern fans and never missed a show.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Jgatie, I figured you were one of the longest-listeners here, maybe along with Ifandorbut, possibly DLM...I'm sure there are others. I wonder if anyone here has been listening since WNBC?

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Since 1992 and never looked back. I can't think of what or who I listened to before him.

I know I listened to Charles Laquidara on WBCN Boston. He was one of Stern's idols and he discovered Billy West. Ironically, Billy was let go because Laquidara wanted him to copy a Stern bit and Billy refused. Billy went on to greatness with Stern, who eventually replaced Laquidara on 'BCN.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Since 1992, when Howard was brought to Cleveland, replacing a show with Jerry Shirley, former drummer with Humble Pie. The guy who brought Howard in worked with him in Detroit before the station converted to country. Two years later, a funeral for the "one eyed cyclops" John Lannigan with the infamous 'competitor cutting the wires' incident. The testical radio station that he left for satrad now plays music in the morning spot.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Feb '97 when he came on in Detroit. I started watching the E! show as soon as we got E! (which I believe was late '94).

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
September 1998. I started college and could only afford it by not dorming. I commuted one week, and it was pure hell because the music radio stations kept playing the same shitty songs all the time. Then, I remembered that you could get Howard out of Pittsburgh sometimes if the atmospheric conditions were right. I used to listen to the show laced with static some days. Other days, I would listen to complete static for five to ten minutes until I drove close enough to get reception, just so that I wouldn't miss the show once it got within range. However, most of the time, I got a clear signal. Looking back, I think it's a little silly, but his show helped me through that morning commute.

One could say Howard got me through college. ;) :D

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Since mid 1992. I discovered the Channel 9 show (channel 13 in LA) on the next to last episode. That led me to listening on 97.1 in LA. I've been listening ever since...

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
One could say Howard got me through college. ;) :D

I was SOOO thrilled when I moved into student housing in college (1995) since it was much closer to LA than my parent's house and I could finally get good reception. I used to struggle every morning to get a decent signal when I lived at home.