How Long Did It Take You To....

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Develop a full appreciation for the Sirius|XM lineup?

I've had Sirius since November of 2005 and recently acquired XM.

I have to say, after not listening to Stern (my primary reason for purchasing the service), I've been exploring the full array of channels and offerings.

Honestly, it's taken me since 12/2005 to now to fully appreciate all the different varities of music and selection I have at my finger tips.

Some of us may take it for granted and say the playlist is shallow and narrow. But when I thought about it, when I got sick of a station or the plalist, I had such a selection to turn to to find an alternative....it's amazing.

I got sick of Stern, so I listened to Bubba. Got sick of Bubba and went back to Stern and eventually went to Ellis.

While I was out mowing my grass the other day, I wanted something different to listen to. Guess what, the BlueGrass channel fit the bill and I couldn't have been happier - it was glorious.

So anyway, back to the point, it's taken me damn near 4 years to develop a sincere appreciation for what Sirius|XM really is.

I'd like to see what everyone else thinks about this....

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
About 2 seconds :)
Posted via Mobile Device

:shifty: or :bigclap: or :headbang: or :bs:

I mean a full realization of the copious amounts of selection and options.

But hey, if 2 seconds is true, you are a true American hero.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
The very moment when I first called SIRIUS and was waiting with the CS rep on the phone as my radio was being activated :)

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Before the merger about 5 minutes, the time to get my radio activated, after the merger, different story.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
You guys are making me look like an asshole :)

You're no asshole. You got it for Stern (millions did the same). You've now discovered the best radio on radio, and I say kudos. :bigthumbup:

Sirius XM is the only satellite radio company in the world today. If you love it, be sure to spread the word to all your family and friends about the aural orgy that Sirius XM has to offer. The more subscribers we get, the better for satellite radio.

One last thing, be sure to check out 'Walk The Dog'. Start from Week 1, give us your feedback on each channel, and keep walking that dog! :siriusdog:

Reactions: Aaron

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
You're no asshole. You got it for Stern (millions did the same). You've now discovered the best radio on radio, and I say kudos. :bigthumbup:

Sirius XM is the only satellite radio company in the world today. If you love it, be sure to spread the word to all your family and friends about the aural orgy that Sirius XM has to offer. The more subscribers we get, the better for satellite radio.

One last thing, be sure to check out 'Walk The Dog'. Start from Week 1, give us your feedback on each channel, and keep walking that dog! :siriusdog:

I appreciate that. But I'm fairly certain there are other satellite radio companies that service Europe and other parts of the world.

I'll take a look at the WTD feature.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I knew someone would mention WorldSpace :p

What you don't realise is that it's practically non-existant. There are 40 remaining employees as of Q1 2009, they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy [they're even having some difficulty in doing that], and according to that Wikipedia article you linked, they only have 170,000 subscribers (96% of which come from India). It's worth noting that those subscriber numbers in the article are almost 2 years old. The article itself is old and never updated.

But that's very old information. In regards to Europe, there is zero coverage as the only remaining satellites are "AfriSat" and "AsiaSat" (and they are only capable of covering the Southern and Eastern parts of Africa, certain areas of the Middle East, and India [as I mentioned]). Their European branch in the UK ceased operations about 6+ months ago, and pulled the plug on it's feed [no more BBC, Virgin Radio (now called Absolut), Radio Caroline, etc.].

They were planning to launch again in Italy using terrestrial networks (in a form of DAB called "ETSI"). That never came to fruition though.

You can see their ghost page at, http://www.worldspace.com (It even looked like they were planning to do Internet Radio).

I could go on and on about WorldSpace (as I've been watching that company closely for years, but I figure I would just give you the basics of what's going on with that company)

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

It was at 0.005 (that's a half-cent) for a week and just today it went up a tenth of a cent to close at 0.006 :p

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I appreciate that. But I'm fairly certain there are other satellite radio companies that service Europe and other parts of the world.

I'll take a look at the WTD feature.

There was WorldSpace. It is in the last throws of a Chapter 7 type bankruptcy. Every wonder what happened to the WorldSpace channels that used to be on XM? They first became stale when the PD was fired and then was deleted entirely no doubt when the server was sold at auction. If WordSpace still exists, it won't for much longer. It just means the creditors haven't found all the assets yet.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I knew someone would mention WorldSpace :p

What you don't realise is that it's practically non-existant. There are 40 remaining employees as of Q1 2009, they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy [they're even having some difficulty in doing that], and according to that Wikipedia article you linked, they only have 170,000 subscribers (96% of which come from India). It's worth noting that those subscriber numbers in the article are almost 2 years old. The article itself is old and never updated.

But that's very old information. In regards to Europe, there is zero coverage as the only remaining satellites are "AfriSat" and "AsiaSat" (and they are only capable of covering the Southern and Eastern parts of Africa, certain areas of the Middle East, and India [as I mentioned]). Their European branch in the UK ceased operations about 6+ months ago, and pulled the plug on it's feed [no more BBC, Virgin Radio (now called Absolut), Radio Caroline, etc.].

They were planning to launch again in Italy using terrestrial networks (in a form of DAB called "ETSI"). That never came to fruition though.

You can see their ghost page at, http://www.worldspace.com (It even looked like they were planning to do Internet Radio).

I could go on and on about WorldSpace (as I've been watching that company closely for years, but I figure I would just give you the basics of what's going on with that company) :p

You beat me too it. Are you sure it was Chapter 11 and not Chapter 7? I thought they filed for Chapter 7.

I hear you can get 2 WorldSpace shares for a penny on a delisted stock exchange.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
You beat me too it. Are you sure it was Chapter 11 and not Chapter 7? I thought they filed for Chapter 7.

They're still technically in Chapter 11. Still struggling to find a buyer, but their time is running out. Game over.

I hear you can get 2 WorldSpace shares for a penny on a delisted stock exchange.

Yeah, you can get it on the OTC Pink Sheets. It was at 0.005 (as I mentioned in my last edit) for a week and today it just went up 1/10th of a cent. The company is doomed.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They're still technically in Chapter 11. Still struggling to find a buyer, but their time is running out. Game over..

Thanx. I must have misremembered.

Yeah, you can get it on the OTC Pink Sheets. It was at 0.005 (as I mentioned in my last edit) for a week and today it just went up 1/10th of a cent. The company is doomed.

I knew I read that somewhere. :) And don't knock the 1/10 -- that's a 20% increase in price!

Blitz71

Oct 12, 2008
Elizabethtown, PA
www.myspace.com
I think I realized it fairly quickly. But I often feel guilty for not taking full advantage of all there is to offer. I got it, like most, just for Stern and I am usually on 100. I subscribed about a year before he started on sat because they pulled him from the market I live in in 2005. So in that time I really got to appreciate what is on all the channels. But now days, like I said, I'm primarily on 100 or 101 when I listen by myself. When we're in the wifes car we listen to alto more.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
To answer the OP, I probably found most of what I liked fairly quickly. I discovered other channels later and am still discovering unlistened channels every now and then. Its an ongoing process.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
When I first heard XM in 2004 while in a new GM car I was shocked at the breadth of programming, but to be honest not until I could get a solid enough signal to tune in the Sirius channels. Certainly, it still probably took a good 6 months to test everything out and realize what was really going on. I tell new customers to give it at least 6 months, it will take time to take it all in.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I think it was 1998 HLN showed video of the launch of a rocket carring satellites that would allow you to drive coast to coast without having to change the channel.

I saw other driver with XM radios & asked them how they liked it. Almost everyone said they loved it.

In July of 2002, I bought a Sony Plug & play. I was hooked before I even activated the radio :D
Posted via Mobile Device