How good (or bad) would this deal be for Bubba?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
FM radio from 6 AM to 10 AM.

Allowing for a break to calm down, pee get things ready for the next show, and other various things, they'd do a live show at BubbaRaw.com, starting at about 11 AM or so. The "commercial breaks" would consist of something like "Bubba the Love Sponge show back after this" with a 5-10 second period of silence, then a pre-recorded bit.

Hell, they could even air the BubbaRaw show at 10:30 or 10:15 or whenever.

At the end of the show, they'd send it up to NY, where the commercials would be inserted into the 5-10 seconds of silence, and aired on Howard 101 from 3 PM to 7 PM.

I've listened to BTLS shows with the commercials cut out and on average, they're just under three hours. If the podcast started at 11, it would probably get done between 1:45 PM and 2 PM.

Let me digress:
American Top 40 once used a technology where they would send the countdown shows to their affiliates on 45 RPM vinyl. Each segment would be equal to "one song" with the space between the songs used for local commercials.

Someone in NYC would need a rundown which would look something like this:
0:00 to 43:34 -- Show
43:35 to 43:37 -- INSERT COMMERCIALS
43:37 to 1:25:53 -- Show
2:52:25 -- SHOW END

Using the technology that American Top 40 used (and maybe still uses), someone at Sirius could easily insert local commercials on-the-fly.

The Friday schedule would be exactly the same as it is now.

Here's what everyone gains/loses
FM radio: About 40-45 minutes of show on Monday - Thursday. (I'm not sure, but I -think- that's how long those shows run.)

BubbaRaw: A live show 4 days a week
Sirius: An uncensored, but taped show 4 days a week. It would be fully uncensored though.

The only "catch" is that Bubba has said he doesn't want to do two shows a day...but if he keeps the money for the Monday-Thursday BubbaRaw shows AND gets paid by Sirius to "sell" the BubbaRaw shows, the deal might be ok for him. And hell, they might just sell a few more BubbaRaw subscriptions. Of course, if the fans didn't want to buy the subscription, they could still get their uncensored Bubba fix at the familiar time on Howard 101.

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
It might be better to just get rid of Bubba and have replays of Howard on 100 and 101

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I think bubba wanted to do a sat shaw right after and Sirius said no. It's like they wanted him to fail, I'll never understand why.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I think Howard should scour the terrestrial radio markets in search of other talent, preferably someone that is mildly popular in a specific region and replay their censored show on Howard 101.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
I think bubba wanted to do a sat shaw right after and Sirius said no. It's like they wanted him to fail, I'll never understand why.
Yup. They were unwilling to have him on any other channel or in any other time slot.

And why they wanted him to fail? Because the people running Sirius still have an FM mindset? They felt that his show had no broad appeal? Simply put they didn't feel the show was worth anything but to supplement Howard's show in the afternoon. Mel Karmazin himself told Bubba he'd fail on FM and they would always be there for him. He was told that the only reason he succeeded on 101 is because it was on Howard's channels. Seemingly ignoring the fact that if a fan of Howard's doesn't like Bubba, they're not going to tune in and just because something is on the channels doesn't mean it'll be well received, like the much maligned Intern Show.

Bubba said on his show recently that he feels Sirius realizes they made a mistake and for the first time ever in their career, they'll be available to the highest bidder. Because wherever they go, that's it, they're only doing one show.

And he also mentioned, as he did a day before, the idea of just putting the podcast on BubbaRaw for no additional charge to what it is now. And therefore avoiding radio politics altogether.

I for one am not confident in Sirius XM's ability to make this happen. Bubba told us all both in 2007 and 2008 that he felt Sirius was starting to understand the value of the show. Both times he and the audience got shafted. He could walk away from the company completely, do a podcast for the fans, and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Thanks for the post chob. I hope next contract bubba comes to Sirius full time but like you said I don't think Sirius will fight to keep him. It sucks too because I miss the old show.
It's still at least another year until contract time for bubba , correct?

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Thanks for the post chob. I hope next contract bubba comes to Sirius full time but like you said I don't think Sirius will fight to keep him. It sucks too because I miss the old show.
It's still at least another year until contract time for bubba , correct?
17 months left on the contract. But apparently Sirius XM can still buy out the FM contract. That's not happening though.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
17 months left on the contract. But apparently Sirius XM can still buy out the FM contract. That's not happening though.

I doubt they would unfourtnately.
Here's what Sirius is thinking I bet, ;)
Exec 1: "Hmmm Bubba was more popular than we thought. maybe we should buy out his contract and get him back here"
Exec 2: "You're right but he WAS more popular. Now he's not so why should we buy out his contract?"
Exec 1: "But we're the ones he made him less popular don't you think fans would come back if we hyped a daily LIVE uncensored show by Bubba and the gang?"
Exec 2 "Hmmm Good point but its almost noon and I'm about to go and get some hookers and blow. Are you coming?"
Exec 1: "Yeah. People can find something else to listen to at 3:00 they'll get over it. Pass the blow."

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think that part of the Sirius mindset is that "as long as we have the subscribers, we don't really care WHAT they listen to."

The subscribers meanwhile are saying "we want these shows, these sports, and these styles of music."

It would be nice for Sirius to keep Bubba. Assuming Howard leaves (or takes fewer hours) in 2010, then Bubba could be one of the people to fill the void. If i'm Bubba, I think a podcast might be a good idea. No more politics, no more bosses, and he gets to do the show on HIS terms with hours that he sets. (If they want to start at 9 or 10 AM ET, they could. As long as they were done in enough time to send it to NYC, they'd be good. Commercials could easily be inserted "on the fly" as the show was playing from 3-7 PM ET.)

I do think a "podcast delayed on Sirius" as I outlined in the first post might be a good idea. If fans want to listen live, they have that choice. If people don't care, they can get it with their regular Sirius subscription.