How good is this stiletto 2?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think you need to add 'without using the antenna headphones' to this statement. With antenna headphones, you do not need repeaters to get live sat reception. Where I live I am out or range of the 1 repeater here in Toronto and still get good reception (ironically worse since the new sat came online).

I would say that if I agreed with your statement, but I do not. My experience with the headphone antenna was that it didn't work very well unless you had line of sight all the time. I can't see that being worth while, but I speak for myself.

I will say that now that they have the new geostationary sat that the kind of reception may actually be better, but until I've tested this for myself, I'll stick with what my experience has shown me.

Everyone mileage will vary depending on your location!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well thanks for all the great discussion. I was only trying to find out if I was missing out on anything by not getting the SL2.

It seems to me that iphone will work for what I need. Also, it gives me just ONE thing to take out of the house when I leave. With the SL2 I would still need to grab my phone too.

Thanks again.

Tgajr, we got a little off course during the discussion, but I think it was a good discussion never the less.

I am glad that you've found a solution that you feel will work best for you, because ultimately that is all any of us need to do. Choice is a good thing!

Like you I love having just one device and that is another thing that sold me on the iPhone, Sirius XM Application and now Skydock with application.

But get this just released... Pocket Tunes, will now record Sirius XM to the iPhone. I already have it on my phone and just upgraded it, fixing to test it out. Check out the following thread http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/...-record-sirius-xm-your-iphone-ipod-touch.html

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I would say that if I agreed with your statement, but I do not. My experience with the headphone antenna was that it didn't work very well unless you had line of sight all the time. I can't see that being worth while, but I speak for myself.

That sir, is the definition of sattellitte radio. You must have a line of sight to a satellitte. Same as your Skydock or a PnP unit. No repeater, line of sight. I find the SL2, with headphone works as well as any satrad in the same situation (obviously XM and Sirius have different dropout zones).

Reactions: xan_user

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That sir, is the definition of sattellitte radio. You must have a line of sight to a satellitte. Same as your Skydock or a PnP unit. No repeater, line of sight. I find the SL2, with headphone works as well as any satrad in the same situation (obviously XM and Sirius have different dropout zones).

In my opinion the built in antenna and/or the headphone antenna doesn't work as well as the antenna plugged into a car/home dock or boombox, so don't even try to compare the two they aren't even in the same ball park. We've discussed this a while now and it seems those that mainly use this setup are those in areas with repeaters. The few folks that I seen reply to various discussion on this all said what I do that it just doesn't work very well in areas without a repeater!

The only thing that might remotely change my mine is this new sat that Sirius has put up, but considering that XM already had this type sat and I had tested the XMP3's setup and once again found it spotty at best.

If you got it to work so well, then just know I am happy for you, but that simply is not my experience! When I tested these things I literally had to hold my head in a certain direction and GOD forbid if there was the slightest thing in the way because you could forget it. Even walking my dog as a test which I did do, as I would pass from one area to another where there was any kind of tree or limb not even overhead, but off in the distance but in the line of sight BAM, no signal. I just can't say these things are reliable for portable use unless you stand in one freaking spot and that Sir defeats the whole purpose of being portable! LOL

Honestly I don't see any point in continue to beat this dead horse, my opinion isn't going to change! Clearly we disagree and so lets just leave it there!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think the XMP3 has the best internal antenna of all the portables.

I think XM internal intenas are better on the whole than the Sirius ones (based upon the units I have had). The SL2 may as well not have an internal antenna. My Airware and Tao both do not bad with theirs. The big thing with the XM radios is that you have to have your unit or your external antenna facing the S side of your body or you are screwed.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think XM internal intenas are better on the whole than the Sirius ones (based upon the units I have had). The SL2 may as well not have an internal antenna. My Airware and Tao both do not bad with theirs. The big thing with the XM radios is that you have to have your unit or your external antenna facing the S side of your body or you are screwed.

The SL2 has an internal antenna, it just doesn't do a great job picking up signal off of the sats. (So for some, I suppose, the SL2 might as well not even have an internal antenna.)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah if we all had repeaters, then one could actually say these devices would make a really good portable satellite radio! LOL

Even without repeaters but with the antenna headphones, these do make good portable satellite radios.

Didn't I hear you say you were done with this debate several posts back? Or are you wanting to continue? I think it is pretty clear that neither of us is going to change his mind but if you want to take a couple of more pages beating the dead horse, I am cool with that. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Even without repeaters but with the antenna headphones, these do make good portable satellite radios.

Oh Yeah they make really good portable radios as long as you are listening to recorded content, but I wouldn't count on them for live reception in a sat only area even with those butt ugly headphones with the crappy built in antenna. I don't know who you are trying to convince more, me or YOURSELF! LOL

:deadhorse:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
So whos compared the S2 reception now that there's a Sirius bird in the Clarke belt. Or can the stiletto even take advantage of that?

I feel comparing xms portables to sirus reception wise was never really fair as the birds were in different locations, and one brands were always moving.

Also repeaters should not be included in discussion of satellite reception.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Oh Yeah they make really good portable radios as long as you are listening to recorded content, but I wouldn't count on them for live reception in a sat only area even with those butt ugly headphones with the crappy built in antenna. I don't know who you are trying to convince more, me or YOURSELF! LOL

:deadhorse:

I'm not trying to convince anybody but I use it with the headphones in an area with no repeater coverage with no issues. I am not sure why you keep bringing it up.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I'm not trying to convince anybody but I use it with the headphones in an area with no repeater coverage with no issues. I am not sure why you keep bringing it up.

I have to agree with IdRatherBeSkiing. While I live downtown, with good repeater signal, I also regularly visit my in-laws which live in the suburbs, far from any repeater. At my in-laws place, I am able to get good satellite signal outside (2 to 3 bars out of 3) with the antenna headphones and acceptable signal (1 to 2 bars) without them. I can even get acceptable signal inside the home with the antenna headphones; I was quite surprised to get any signal inside.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Well just to keep irritating you of course! LOL Why do you keep replying if you aren't trying to convince anyone? hehehe

I am just so happy for you, but your experience doesn't reflect my experience where I live!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well just to keep irritating you of course! LOL Why do you keep replying if you aren't trying to convince anyone? hehehe

I am just so happy for you, but your experience doesn't reflect my experience where I live!

The fact that you are happy for me just fills me with a warm cozy feeling inside. Thanx DAB.

I could ask you the same question about your replies. :)

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Got stupid and dropped my SL100 the other day. Now I have to tape the top of the battery so it will stay in place since the male tab broke off.

I saw on Sirius where subscribers get a deal on an SL2. A receiver and home kit are down to 130 (from 220) Same deal for a vehicle kit. I'll have to do some home work to determine if an SL2 is a huge upgrade or stay the course and save a 75 dollar transfer fee.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Got stupid and dropped my SL100 the other day. Now I have to tape the top of the battery so it will stay in place since the male tab broke off.

I saw on Sirius where subscribers get a deal on an SL2. A receiver and home kit are down to 130 (from 220) Same deal for a vehicle kit. I'll have to do some home work to determine if an SL2 is a huge upgrade or stay the course and save a 75 dollar transfer fee.

From the SL100, the SL2 is a huge upgrade. So much better wifi, about 30% smaller, more memory, expandable with Micro SD, etc.