How good is this stiletto 2?

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I think I just fucked up and activated my sporster 5 without really looking into the stiletto. How does it work with repeaters? Do you need to wear that big headset?

I also have a mac. Is that a problem?

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I think I just fucked up and activated my sporster 5 without really looking into the stiletto. How does it work with repeaters? Do you need to wear that big headset?

In my area, I don't need to use the antenna headphones, as repeater signal is strong enough to listen to my Stiletto 2 when walking outside.

I have a Mac. I use XNJB to manage my mp3s on the SL2. I also use VMWare to run Windows, if/when I need to do a device recovery (haven't needed to do one in months, now).

To get the most pleasure out of your SL2, read the forums to learn how to avoid memory corruption. (Mainly, do regular "full shutdown" of the SL2, and be careful not to delete recordings while they are recorded).

I love my SL2.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

The headset is pretty comfotable. If you want portable live satrad, you pretty much need them unless you are right next to a repeater. Alternatively, you could record some channels overnight and use regular headphones to do listen to them.

The only time you may need a PC is to do a device recovery. I rarely use MSS (except to listen to Sirius online sometimes).

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Well its probably too late for me to switch now. But it looks like the Stiletto is pretty good. I guess I can look into an iphone and the slacker app. That will probably meet my needs.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well its probably too late for me to switch now. But it looks like the Stiletto is pretty good. I guess I can look into an iphone and the slacker app. That will probably meet my needs.

I love it. Its the best satrad I have ever had. An iPhone connected only to my car would not cut it just as a PnP radio would not cut it for me. If your Sportster 5 gives out, it may be worth upgrading.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm digging my SL2, and would buy another one if it crapped out on me. I don't listen very often with the headphone antenna. But I was in the yard taking care of the leaves for the last 4 hours, and had very little problem with the signal dropping. In the garage it would cut out for a couple of seconds here and there, and there were a couple of spots on the wrong side of the house under a tree where I was getting a couple of skips in sat signal. We only have one repeater here, and that doesn't do too much here at the house.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
IMO, the SL2 is the best Sirius radio. I have only used it once as a portable. I just like the size and that I can add my own songs.

Plus, I have too many accessories to try something else. :)

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Thanks guys. I think this Sportster 5 is a pretty neat unit. I like the ticker feature. I am looking into an iphone to help meet my mobile listening needs.

Reactions: DAB

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks guys. I think this Sportster 5 is a pretty neat unit. I like the ticker feature. I am looking into an iphone to help meet my mobile listening needs.

I agree with you the iPhone is the way to go because it opens many doors and you aren't just stuck with Sat Radio. Not that just having Sat Radio is a bad thing, but with the Skydock if you want live Sat Radio you could get it. Then when you are at home or office you can stream Sirius Online, Pandora, Slacker to name a few.

I don't get this I have to listen to live sat radio when I am walking my dog stuff! LOL Also my Wifi is so strong around my house that I can mow my grass and/or sit around on my patio and still get signal enough to stream whatever I want.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I agree with you the iPhone is the way to go because it opens many doors and you aren't just stuck with Sat Radio. Not that just having Sat Radio is a bad thing, but with the Skydock if you want live Sat Radio you could get it. Then when you are at home or office you can stream Sirius Online, Pandora, Slacker to name a few.

I don't get this I have to listen to live sat radio when I am walking my dog stuff! LOL Also my Wifi is so strong around my house that I can mow my grass and/or sit around on my patio and still get signal enough to stream whatever I want.

A lot of offices have streaming blocked. (My office, Mrs Hectic's, some friends, it's pretty common.) I made friends with our IT guy and he let me know how to get to the firewall that doesn't have the filter on it, but a lot of people aren't that lucky.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
IMO, the SL2 is the best Sirius radio. I have only used it once as a portable. I just like the size and that I can add my own songs.

Plus, I have too many accessories to try something else. :)

Agree. I am thinking of buying another one just in case the SL2 stops working someday.

I would gladly go back to the old S50 if it had WIFI but it of course does not.

Reactions: Casual Fan

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean its not cool or a nice feature. If you have WiFi everywhere you go or only want satrad in your car AND already have been sucked into the Apple Cult and own an iPhone, then sure the Skydock or SiriusXM app may be all you need or want. But not all of us can be like you DAB. I personally think it is a great feature of the SL2 to be able to get reception anywhere. If I didn't have it, I could listen to pre-recorded content on my SL2 but it is a nice to have and certainly a big plus for the unit. The Skydock is a great product for those with the PnP radio or the PnP mentality.

Reactions: Allanon

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just because you don't get it doesn't mean its not cool or a nice feature. If you have WiFi everywhere you go or only want satrad in your car AND already have been sucked into the Apple Cult and own an iPhone, then sure the Skydock or SiriusXM app may be all you need or want. But not all of us can be like you DAB. I personally think it is a great feature of the SL2 to be able to get reception anywhere. If I didn't have it, I could listen to pre-recorded content on my SL2 but it is a nice to have and certainly a big plus for the unit. The Skydock is a great product for those with the PnP radio or the PnP mentality.

Number one I've in no way shape or form suggested anyone be like me. I simply stated that I don't get the necessity to have a live sat radio for walking my dog. Why are you always so defensive?

I've not been sucked into anything, but find your response defensively funny. I think the Steletto is a great radio I had one for almost a year, but grew tired of it's ongoing/unsolved problems. You have created many new post almost each time you've had a problem and how many threads are there talking about Stiletto problems?. Some of us decided to move beyond problems and get into another solution. I don't need to listen to live radio while my dog takes a crap (LOL), there is really nothing on sat radio that I just got to have this feature. If you do then GREAT, you have a Stiletto (ENJOY IT) I really don't need to get it because if that is what makes you happy then so be it.

Seems that PNP's have out sold these portables by a pretty hefty margin, so there must be a lot of folks with your so called PNP mentality. Not all of us can be like you either IRBS and this is why we have a choice. My choice is the Skydock and iPhone and the poster I was posting to (NOT YOU) apparently has drawn the same conclusion. It really is okay for some of us to decide that we like something other than the Stiletto. I can't speak for anyone but me, but I've grown beyond having multiple devices or devices that only offer me a single service. To each his/her own! No one is suggesting you get rid of your Stiletto and get an iPhone and no one cares if like to walk around with those funky headphones on walking down the road listening to live sat radio. Power to your bro! LOL :)

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Seems that PNP's have out sold these portables by a pretty hefty margin, so there must be a lot of folks with your so called PNP mentality

I know the sales of the Portables are lower than that of the PNP's but I would think this is more of a pricing issue and not really a "these devices aren't good" issue.

I'm sure a lot of people wanted the SL2 when it came out two years ago but $329.99 is A LOT to pay for a radio.

I bet that a lot of people are just buying these now based on the recent price reduction--much like say the PS3.

I would also say that most people have never heard of the SL2 and this is more of a Sirius or Directed Electronics marketing issue.

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
That wifi is your personal connection. I want to just walk down the streets and get live streaming broadcast. Seems to me so long as it has a signal it will work on the 3G network. Just like how you can talk on the phone for hours while driving so long as you dont have a reception problem.

I agree with you DAB. My mistake may be for good reason. I think having access to streaming via a phone carrier's network is better than relying on satellite coverage.

DAB, I for one dont even have a landline anymore. I have found wireless coverage to be that reliable.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't get this I have to listen to live sat radio when I am walking my dog stuff! LOL

Number one I've in no way shape or form suggested anyone be like me. I simply stated that I don't get the necessity to have a live sat radio for walking my dog. Why are you always so defensive?

Given that I used this particular example in a previous discussion with you, I took this as a directed comment -- I responded. And don't tell me it wasn't. I have read enough of your posts to know a dig when I see one.

I've not been sucked into anything, but find your response defensively funny. I think the Steletto is a great radio I had one for almost a year, but grew tired of it's ongoing/unsolved problems. You have created many new post almost each time you've had a problem and how many threads are there talking about Stiletto problems?. Some of us decided to move beyond problems and get into another solution. I don't need to listen to live radio while my dog takes a crap (LOL), there is really nothing on sat radio that I just got to have this feature. If you do then GREAT, you have a Stiletto (ENJOY IT) I really don't need to get it because if that is what makes you happy then so be it.

I never said it would be right for you. I just countered your aguments against it. And yes, it does have some issues. I have chosen to live with them for now. Obviously, you chose not to for a number of reasons.

Seems that PNP's have out sold these portables by a pretty hefty margin, so there must be a lot of folks with your so called PNP mentality. Not all of us can be like you either IRBS and this is why we have a choice. My choice is the Skydock and iPhone and the poster I was posting to (NOT YOU) apparently has drawn the same conclusion. It really is okay for some of us to decide that we like something other than the Stiletto. I can't speak for anyone but me, but I've grown beyond having multiple devices or devices that only offer me a single service. To each his/her own! No one is suggesting you get rid of your Stiletto and get an iPhone and no one cares if like to walk around with those funky headphones on walking down the road listening to live sat radio. Power to your bro! LOL :)

They are cheaper and have been out longer so that is not surprising. Particularly if you include all the promotional radios given out over the years. Haven't seen to many portables on the giveaways. I would still love to see the real data vs. the specultive data however.

Again, I was simply presenting the other side of the argument. You seem happy with your Istuff. Good for you. But there are some of us who do like portable and recordable satrads.

And for me, maybe sometime in the future I will be able to do this on one device. That is a lesser priority for me right now.

ETA: Orbitcast does a pretty good analysis of various options out there. http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/buy-satellite-radio.html#more Covers all the apples and oranges we have been discussing in the last 10 threads.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm sure a lot of people wanted the SL2 when it came out two years ago but $329.99 is A LOT to pay for a radio.

I bet that a lot of people are just buying these now based on the recent price reduction--much like say the PS3.

I would also say that most people have never heard of the SL2 and this is more of a Sirius or Directed Electronics marketing issue.

Var, clearly Sirius has done a very poor job of marketing, there is little doubt about that so we agree 100%. I also agree that the pricing level of these portable made them not something most wouldn't consider simply because portable vs PNP for most isn't worth the price. I also think once folks consider they usage pattern for their sat radio most don't ever walk around using them as a true live portable. Var in my last post I said these radios are nice they just have problems, so I don't think lower sales is about them not being good radios either. I do think when people buy them they are sometimes upset to find out that they aren't problem free though.

I agree with you DAB. My mistake may be for good reason. I think having access to streaming via a phone carrier's network is better than relying on satellite coverage.

DAB, I for one dont even have a landline anymore. I have found wireless coverage to be that reliable.

I think everyone has their own way of looking at this. I personally just see little to no real need to have a live portable for walking around. I'd also say that MOST just don't really care that much about this particular feature. I think more people buy these portable for their ability to record more so than live portable use.

The iPhone will certainly give you the ability to stream sat radio or many other types of services via the 3G network. The main problem is that 3G isn't available every where, so this would cause many to feel that sats are a better offering. This is why I like my Skydock setup because basically I get the best of both worlds!

I have not had a landline for probably 10 or more years! I am also fortunate that in all my various office locations I have full access to Wifi, it is available to me at home, on the road in hotels, in coffee shops, various restaurants. I do understand not everyone has this great setup! So why do I need multiple devices when the iPhone will do it all?
Given that I used this particular example in a previous discussion with you, I took this as a directed comment -- I responded. And don't tell me it wasn't. I have read enough of your posts to know a dig when I see one.

It wasn't a dig I was responding to someone else making the point why I don't see the necessity the live portability mode and an example was walking a dog, which is what many of us dog owners have to do so it is a good example. I still say you are overly defensive and take shit personal when it isn't that at all. I don't have time to play the dig game with you, I wasn't speaking to you or or about you, I was sharing my point of view based on my use. The fact is you were the one taking jabs with your sucked into the Apple Cult and PNP mentality comments.

They are cheaper and have been out longer so that is not surprising. Particularly if you include all the promotional radios given out over the years. Haven't seen to many portables on the giveaways. I would still love to see the real data vs. the specultive data however.

Cheaper is always going to be the winner, because again it goes back to how people use and listen to these devices and what they are willing to invest. My point was then and it is now that MOST aren't going to walk around with headphones on their head walking their dogs wanting live sat radio. I think that is a valid point. Recording is the primary reason that most would get a portable and because of the smaller footprint of the unit. None the less most use them as PNP docked at home or docked in their car. They may then take the radio and in portable mode listen to the content they recorded, but I'd dare say most (doesn't mean their aren't some) don't likely use it for live portability. In fact myself and others have had conversations in threads where we discussed getting rid of our portable and going with PNP's because we found we really weren't using the live feature or recording mode enough and they had basically become PNP's anyway. I for one sold mine for just about what I paid for it and got the XpressRC for $109 with a car dock. Sirius XM needs to have a good balance of varying cost products so that they can appeal to as broad of potential subscribers no matter what their income level maybe.

While Sirius has given away a lot of PNP over the years, my point is sales wise PNP have still outsold portables. I standby that 100%, so the give aways are a moot point.

None the less what difference does it really make? It all about having a choice and as you pointed at the bottom of this thread Orbitcast did a great job presenting all the various options. You see the number and cost of the PNP's vs the portables... When you have so many PNP options vs two more expensive portables and consider the way most use their radios, it just makes sense that PNP do more sales wise. Also Sirius does discount these low-end PNP's a great deal when customers try to cancel. Now as Var pointed out when prices on these portable devices come down more may consider them, but they also need to know the potential problems they maybe opening themselves up for because these things have their problems where most PNP are for the most part problem free.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Var, clearly Sirius has done a very poor job of marketing, there is little doubt about that so we agree 100%. I also agree that the pricing level of these portable made them not something most wouldn't consider simply because portable vs PNP for most isn't worth the price. I also think once folks consider they usage pattern for their sat radio most don't ever walk around using them as a true live portable. Var in my last post I said these radios are nice they just have problems, so I don't think lower sales is about them not being good radios either. I do think when people buy them they are sometimes upset to find out that they aren't problem free though.

OH, I agree 100%. ANyone that was around when the frist stiletto came out remembers all of the threads that were titled "cant get reception in while..." Clearly, the live sat inst' an option for 90% of the country when you don't live within 25 miles of a repeater.

If Sirius want's to stay in this portable world (and I hope they do) then they either need to really add infrustructure which will never happen due to cost and logistics or really beef up the MP3 side of the device to make it a true, easy to navigate MP3 that is loaded with features like Video and photo playback, bluetooth, etc and I don't really see this happening either. OH no, I think I just convinced myself that we won't see a new portable. Now I'm depressed.

Oddly enough, as much as I use my Sl2, I never even try live portable sat reception. I wonder if the new sat has helped with this. Due to the weakness of the built in antenna, I doubt it will. I rely soley on WIFI around my house. Perhaps sirius can incorporate Wireless N into the next portable to greatly increase listening range.

Reactions: DAB

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Oddly enough, as much as I use my Sl2, I never even try live portable sat reception. I wonder if the new sat has helped with this. Due to the weakness of the built in antenna, I doubt it will. I rely soley on WIFI around my house. Perhaps sirius can incorporate Wireless N into the next portable to greatly increase listening range.

There you go and that is my point exactly! I would say your usage is likely typical for most and so live reception while walking around isn't that important to you at all.

Wireless N would be great. They tell me these iPhone 3GS and 3rd Gen iPod Touchs have Wireless N, but Apple doesn't have it activated, which makes no sense, unless they are just looking to charge again for this add on. Hell I'd pay it is worth it. :)