How are they putting these things on the market!!??

mpietropaoli

Dec 23, 2009
I have had an S100 for the past two years with my lifetime subscription. After the wheel stopped working, the headphone jack got to the point where I had to hold the headphone plug @ a weird angle just to get sound (out of one ear), and finally, the battery started dying after 20 minutes of LIBRARY listening, I was unsure of whether or not to get a Stiletto 2 or just an iPod Touch with Pocket Tunes.

Ordered a S2, then read about Pocket Tunes, and picked up an iPod Touch while the S2 sat in the box. Tried Pocket Tunes and loved the Touch, but the lack of scheduled recording really didn't fit my functionality (begin recording Howard @ 6am weekdays, walk into work and listen to show from beginning while walking in, and at work if I'm lucky). Doesn't work for me without a 3G connection (Touch is WiFi only)

Soooo, decided to (plan to) return the Touch, as nice as it is, and open up the Stiletto 2...

Called Sirius, expecting the usual miserable customer service. The individual was actually helpful, and after plugging my S2 into the home kit (which, by the way, was able to use the same 'hookups' as my S100 home kit...simply swapped out the actual cradle...anyone know if this works for the car kit as well?!), the rep was able to activate my new radio and didn't even charge me for the swap. After 5 minutes, I heard beautiful Sirius coming through my speakers.

I was psyched. No more holding my headphones in. No more 5 lb device to lug around. All Howard, all the time (and some occasional ESPN, XMU, Underground Garage). Wrong.

After about 2 hours of charging the battery, I went to set up some presets. The device went to an "error, please wait" message. If only I had known I had joined the legions of faithful subscribers who were trapped in a vortex of the device starting up, then the software package being permanently corrupted and giving nothing but "error, please wait", then automatically rebooting and not giving me time to run the device recovery from my PC. After spending 45 minutes on the phone with some tech support twerp who offered exactly zero sympathy, we came to the inevitable conclusion that I would need to send my device back to Amazon. No Howard for me.

Please tell me some of the people who post on this forum have been using the S2 for some time with some success! Reading the customer reviews you get nothing but horror stories.

By the way, this COULD all be solved if I got an iPhone, but my work pays for an unlimited blackberry and I'm not in a position to sign a 2-year data/voice contract just to get Howard.

The things you own end up pwning you.

tbone

Oct 23, 2008
I am sorry to hear about your problems. I guess I have been one of the lucky ones. The only problem I have had is sometimes when I turn on the SL2 I can't turn down the volume without a full shutdown. I do a complete shutdown at least once a week.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I really like the sl2. I can tell you that TSS will take care of you if you buy your radio from them. Heck, if you call them, they will usually try to help you, even if you didn't buy from them. I would give them a call. I really like the sl2. You might also try the xmp3, although it's a nice radio, I wouldn't recommend it for recording the Stern show.

mpietropaoli

Dec 23, 2009
I actually bought it through Amazon, as I was able to get the radio, car and home kits for $200, new.

Hopefully Amazon's return policy is gracious. Additionally hopeful that I will have luck with a replacement radio.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I actually bought it through Amazon, as I was able to get the radio, car and home kits for $200, new.

Hopefully Amazon's return policy is gracious. Additionally hopeful that I will have luck with a replacement radio.

Even though you didn't buy from us I would be happy to help you. I think I can save the radio as is right now. If you have a chance, give me a call at 773-772-4340. If not or if you have already sent the radio back, I would love to still help you in getting a stiletto 2 that works.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Even though you didn't buy from us I would be happy to help you. I think I can save the radio as is right now. If you have a chance, give me a call at 773-772-4340. If not or if you have already sent the radio back, I would love to still help you in getting a stiletto 2 that works.

And this is why TSS-Radio is the best!!:bigthumbup:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Called Sirius, expecting the usual miserable customer service. The individual was actually helpful, and after plugging my S2 into the home kit (which, by the way, was able to use the same 'hookups' as my S100 home kit...simply swapped out the actual cradle...anyone know if this works for the car kit as well?!), the rep was able to activate my new radio and didn't even charge me for the swap. After 5 minutes, I heard beautiful Sirius coming through my speakers.

Yes, and no. If you have a method of cutting/sawing off the side walls of the SL100 car dock, you're gold. If not, see if tss-radio has a SL2 car dock and get hooked up with one of those. The antenna, power plug, and everything else from the SL100 should be compatible with the SL2 car dock, but TSS or someone here can tell you for sure.

JohnDaddyo

Jan 5, 2010
I can't wait to buy from TSS. I've heard about their customer service being legend.

May I ask... I have a Stiletto and for years have been trying to figure how to connect it to my stereo and be able to control it. Problem is I'm about 8' short of antenna, the remote is so weak it won't control it for more than 4' and even if it could, I wouldn't be able to read the display! :mad: I know I could always use the internet but, I'd like to be able to play my recorded things and skip commercials etc.

Has anyone found any workarounds for these issues?

mpietropaoli

Dec 23, 2009
TSS: I'm not worthy

In a world of broken-English-speaking tech support staffs, complacent salespeople, and warranties with pages of nullifying-to-the-detriment-to-the-consumer language, I have just found a veritable oasis of a buying experience with TSS.

Many many thanks to Matt for reaching out to me, and for walking me through the REAL way to run a "device recovery" on a Stiletto 2 (powerup the device after power-down WHILE holding the on/off switch in 'on' position AND holding down the 'options' and 'display' buttons). I even mentioned that it was amazing that even a crack team of tech support staff like those at Sirius (sarcasm wholly intentional) didn't know the proper way to do this.

Even though I didn't buy my device from TSS, they helped me out...I did buy a new car dock cradle from them and will not likely buy another sat radio component/peripheral from anywhere else.

S2 is working well now, and Matt even gave me some words of wisdom for maintenance and ensuring that the device continues to run well.

Thanks again to TSS and let me say that you have won my business for as long as I have my Sirius subscription (and I'm a lifetime subscriber).

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Even though I didn't buy my device from TSS, they helped me out... S2 is working well now, and Matt even gave me some words of wisdom for maintenance and ensuring that the device continues to run well.

That's customer service and beyond!!! TSS rocks! :bigthumbup:

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I told you. Matt is the man. I've never bought anything from anybody, and gotten the kind of service TSS gives. I know we all sound like a bunch of fruity fan boys, but these guys are the real deal. Glad you got the help you needed. Welcome to DRC.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I love my SL2. I had a tight loop.

With patience you can get to the point of a device recovery. You just got to start it up after the battery is removed with the 3 finger salute. I find removing the battery and running on AC works best.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Yes, and no. If you have a method of cutting/sawing off the side walls of the SL100 car dock, you're gold. If not, see if tss-radio has a SL2 car dock and get hooked up with one of those. The antenna, power plug, and everything else from the SL100 should be compatible with the SL2 car dock, but TSS or someone here can tell you for sure.

I agree with all of the others who have chimed in on this thread, TSS is fantastic. My daughter just replaced a (stolen) SL10 with one from TSS. The first one was very flaky, and she returned it with zero hassle for another one that works great.

As for cutting off the side support strips to use your SL10/100 docks with an S2, all it takes is a couple minutes of your time and a sharp knife. An Xacto works perfect - just be careful to keep plastic shavings out of the plug-in electrical connector. I've been using my original SL100 car and home docks with my S2 for over 2 years now with no problems at all.