Home question

Rissan

Jan 23, 2009
We used to set up our radio in the front room, and listen to it on the stereo in the basement, but have found out that our new radio's fm transmitter just doesn't have any range. ARG

Would hooking up wireless speakers or headphones to the home dock (pnp unit) allow the radio to be listened to around the house? I don't really want to run even more cables in the house, and the front room is the best for antenna placement because of all the trees in the yard. I figured that I could drag a wireless speaker wherever and be able to without cords all over the place. As a bonus, the speakers could be hooked up to other stuff or even taken out to the backyard and garage. I'm thinking of a set made by Audio Unlimited, because they go on ac or dc, and you can get add on units.

What are the flaws in my thoughts on this?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Another solution is to invest in an FM transmitter. These will be as powerful (or more powerful) than your old radio.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I've been very happy with the Ccrane FM transmitter, C. Crane Company, Inc.

There are others, but the good ones are more expensive. Plus the CCrane also takes batteries for road trips and in the car, plus it broadcasts in stereo which many do not, and it supports the entire FM frequency band.

zepped

Nov 2, 2008
I've been very happy with the Ccrane FM transmitter, C. Crane Company, Inc.

There are others, but the good ones are more expensive. Plus the CCrane also takes batteries for road trips and in the car, plus it broadcasts in stereo which many do not, and it supports the entire FM frequency band.

Thank you so much for posting this website. I had no idea what product I needed but knew what I wanted to do. Their website has details/manuals/troubleshooting info that gave me the exact specifics I needed to purchase. I just placed an order not only for an FM transmitter but a 'police' scanner. Can't wait to get my goodies.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Wasn't there a device specifically designed for this?

SIRIUS Echo Repeater is what I think it was called.

Rissan

Jan 23, 2009
What kind of range can I get with the add on transmitter or the Echo? Also, how complicated are they to hook up? What they would essentially do is make my new radio work more like the one I bought last summer, right?
One of the reasons I kept looking past those is that I thought it might be easier to bring along a speaker or a set of the matching headphones rather than move a whole radio or walkman out to the yard, or even portability for camping.
I'm also a little leery because the 'old' radio was only bought last summer, the new one was a Christmas present- if they're gonna mess with the signal strength that much in a few short weeks, it kinda makes me not trust other satellite radio specific hardware. BUT I like sat radio enough to want to keep it and listen wherever I choose to- I figure I've paid enough on equipment and the subs that now it's time it does what I want.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yeah. If you use the echo you have the take the radio with you. It's actually really great if you have a boombox for your Sirius radio. The boomboxes are actually pretty great and those can take batteries or plug in.
If you would rather not have to do that and you do have a lot of FM radios around, I would suggest an FM transmitter.
If you go with the C. Crane, there is a hack that will actually boost the transmission strength.
If you go with the Whole House FM Transmitter, it already has a really strong transmission strength plus it comes with a ton of other parts for powering it up (Cigarette lighter, AC adapter, batteries, USB). Plus it's gold and who doesn't like, or deserve, a little glitz in their life?
Good luck deciding!

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
What kind of range can I get with the add on transmitter or the Echo? Also, how complicated are they to hook up? What they would essentially do is make my new radio work more like the one I bought last summer, right?
I realized I didn't answer these questions for you.
The Echo's range is about 75 ft. They are really easy to hook up. Just set up the base unit with the antenna you already have, and then plug the echo antenna into your Sirius radio as if it were the regular Sirius antenna and you would be good to go. The Echo makes the antenna wireless for your Sirius Radio.
I always compare it to a cordless phone. It actually uses the same tech kind of. In fact if you have a 900mhz cordless phone at your house, the two could interfere with each other.

Oh yeah, and they changed the signal strength around the beginning of '06 (correct me if i'm wrong anyone). It sounds like the radio you got last summer was one left around from the good ol' days of strong FM transmitter strength and no movie ratings. (can I get a what what for the foxy car wash scene in Cool Hand Luke?!

Rissan

Jan 23, 2009
Hmmm.... options, options. We have a boombox that's going back to the store today, because we just don't spend much time upstairs, and it disables the transmitter altogether. That's crazy about the signal going down in 06, as the first radio was bought at Future Shop in Aug 08, and FS is not a slow store at all. (It's also crazy that the FCC can influence what Canadians are allowed to buy.) That was a Stratus3, perhaps the Sportster 5 is the issue- seriously, the range is less than 4 feet, so that is why we tried out the boombox to begin with, however it just doesn't 'fit' how we have to accommodate it. The echo is sounding more promising....

:eek: Ouch!- just looked at the price. 200 at Future Shop, or 120 (+duty, shipping and XCH) at TSS; or, return the boombox and cover the price of wireless speakers and shipping (range 150') at TigerDirect and be able to also get a coffee. Yup, just made up my mind.

Thanks for all the info and opinions!!!:clap:

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
With the CCrane FM, I got it through most of my house. Then I did the hack and got it everywhere in my house (Florida ranch house, so it's a pretty long distance as opposed to a narrow house with 2 or 3 stories). I got some cheap speaker wire, and stripped off 2 inches of insulation on both ends, and wrapped it around the Ccrane antenna and ran it along the corner of a wall between a wall and ceiling, also moving trh transmitter as high as possible to a top shelf near the ceiling. Do that was enough for me to get my whole house and my entire yard too.

I believe they are spec trasmission power for around 150 feet (limited by the fcc). Beaming through walls drops power. I'd say it gets around 100 feet. But if you put in somewhere near the center of your house, you'll get that 100 feet in all directions, so the total diameter will be twice that... 200 feet end to end.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I can describe the hack and my setup better if you are confused, just ask and I'll get to it when I have more time.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Thank you so much for posting this website. I had no idea what product I needed but knew what I wanted to do. Their website has details/manuals/troubleshooting info that gave me the exact specifics I needed to purchase. I just placed an order not only for an FM transmitter but a 'police' scanner. Can't wait to get my goodies.

They have a great web page, and some great bproducts. And when I asked them a technical question, they got back to me quickly and were very helpful.

Glad I could help, that's why we have forums like this.