home network trouble with Vista laptop

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I set up a home network recently so that we could connect to the printer from our wireless laptops. The desktop machine has XP Pro and is wired to the Netgear WGT624 v3 router. The Arris cable modem is connected to internet port of the router. The Lexmark P6250 printer is connected to the XP Pro desktop machine.

I have successfully added the network printer to each of my children's wireless Acer mini laptops that have XP Home. They can print just fine. Each of their machines can see the desktop machine on the network and the desktop machine can see them.

I'm having two problems with my wireless laptop that has Vista Home Premium. 1) The desktop machine can see this laptop but the laptop can't see the desktop machine. If I connect the Vista laptop directly to the router, then it can see the other computers on the network.

2) I tried to add the network printer when it was connected directly to the router, but I got the following error: windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d). I then tried to install the printer locally but I can't get the installer program to install the Vista drivers because it insists that older drivers exist that must first be removed.

Any help to these 2 problems would be appreciated. Thanks.

MoeSyslack

Oct 14, 2008
Summer Shade KY
Vista and XP dont like networking together. With the little bit I tried with my computers I learned you have have to have SP3 on XP. It has networking connectivity to Vista. That being said, good luck, I never could get mine to connect to each other.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Are they part of the same Workgroup?
Do you have a firewall installed besides the Windows Firewall?
McAfee installed?
Norton installed?
Other security software installed?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Vista and XP dont like networking together. With the little bit I tried with my computers I learned you have have to have SP3 on XP. It has networking connectivity to Vista. That being said, good luck, I never could get mine to connect to each other.

We have lots of XP and Vista PCs at work that seem to get along just fine. I have no Vista at home, so I don't know the details of network configuration for it.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
With my set up I set my network printer with an ip address.

Now all my desktops and laptops see it and print ok.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area

All of our XP machines have SP3. Vista laptop has SP1. However, someone told me to update to SP2 for Vista.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
Are they part of the same Workgroup?
Do you have a firewall installed besides the Windows Firewall?
McAfee installed?
Norton installed?
Other security software installed?

Yes, same workgroup
No to Firewall besides Windows Firewall
No to McAfee
Yes, Symantec Endpoint Prtection 11.0 on all machines
Yes, Blue Coat K9 Web Protection on all machines as an internet filter

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Hey MM, how do I do this?

I will try to remember from Vista. I don't have a Vista PC, just a Win 7 RC1.

1. Go to add a printer.

2. Select network, etc..printer.

Ugh, I can't remember what I did.

Let me do some searching....

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Yes, same workgroup
No to Firewall besides Windows Firewall
No to McAfee

Disable or uninstall these 2 app's and then try to setup network:

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I think this is it.

https://www.jmu.edu/computing/helpdesk/selfhelp/tcpipprintvista.shtml

You need to know your routers ip address and the rest of your pc's ip addresses.

example - 192.168.1.100 is your router.

192.168.1.102 is a pc.

You could add 192.168.1.109 as your printer.

Just make sure that the printer is plugged into the router first.

I do think it would be easier to let the router pick the ip address, like I stated earlier.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
Disable or uninstall these 2 app's and then try to setup network:

I uninstalled Blue Coat on the Vista laptop now it can see the other PCs on the network. One problem solved. Thanks!

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I think this is it.

https://www.jmu.edu/computing/helpdesk/selfhelp/tcpipprintvista.shtml

You need to know your routers ip address and the rest of your pc's ip addresses.

example - 192.168.1.100 is your router.

192.168.1.102 is a pc.

You could add 192.168.1.109 as your printer.

Just make sure that the printer is plugged into the router first.

I do think it would be easier to let the router pick the ip address, like I stated earlier.

MM, thanks. I'll take a look when I have time.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Make sure you have "Printer Sharing" turned on. Is the Lexmark being "Shared" on the XP machine? It needs to be. It must have the little hand that indicates sharing beneath the printer icon. Right click on printer icon, select "sharing". Select "Share This Printer". Click "Apply" , click "OK". Then go to Vista PC and browse for the printer. You may need to reboot BOTH PC's after yuo enable sharing.

Vista Printer Sharing How to

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Reactions: MM

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Make sure you have "Printer Sharing" turned on. Is the Lexmark being "Shared" on the XP machine? It needs to be. It must have the little hand that indicates sharing beneath the printer icon. Right click on printer icon, select "sharing". Select "Share This Printer". Click "Apply" , click "OK". Then go to Vista PC and browse for the printer. You may need to reboot BOTH PC's after yuo enable sharing.

Vista Printer Sharing How to

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

+1 Just gave you some reps points for your help in this thread.