Home Dock

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I dont have the dock, but I cant see it changing the sound quality compared to using the Slacker without a dock.

All the reviews ive read about it seem positive.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The home dock really is for convenience sake. It is nice being able to just dock it and automatically have power and audio out without having to do all the plugging and unplugging.

I personally think the fixed audio-out does give you a bit better SQ because in some cases when you use the headphone jack you can turn the volume up too much and get distortion. There is also an included headphone jack which is not fixed, meaning you can adjust the volume using the volume control on the G2. But when docked and using the audio-out you must use the volume control of the speaker system you are connected too as the volume is fixed.

I have a couple of these docks and I don't use them as much as I did before the iPhone Slacker App came out. But I do still use them periodically.

By the way you can also sync using USB with the dock too, though I always downloading new content was easier via wifi.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
The home dock really is for convenience sake. It is nice being able to just dock it and automatically have power and audio out without having to do all the plugging and unplugging.

I personally think the fixed audio-out does give you a bit better SQ because in some cases when you use the headphone jack you can turn the volume up too much and get distortion. There is also an included headphone jack which is not fixed, meaning you can adjust the volume using the volume control on the G2. But when docked and using the audio-out you must use the volume control of the speaker system you are connected too as the volume is fixed.

I have a couple of these docks and I don't use them as much as I did before the iPhone Slacker App came out. But I do still use them periodically.

By the way you can also sync using USB with the dock too, though I always downloading new content was easier via wifi.

Thanks for 30 bucks why not...

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
How do you guys have it hooked up? My old Onkyo does not have a aux input and the rca red and white does not sound all that good.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
How do you guys have it hooked up? My old Onkyo does not have a aux input and the rca red and white does not sound all that good.

Mine is aux-input, so I am not sure how you'd go about it without one of those. That Onkyo must be pretty aged not to have at least one aux-input.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
I just got a new Onkyo that has the front portable aux input. This makes the dock worthless other than to charge the G2 or people with rca only.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just got a new Onkyo that has the front portable aux input. This makes the dock worthless other than to charge the G2 or people with rca only.

Why would this make the dock worthless? I much prefer to have my docked plugged directly into my stereo and then I just have to dock it, plus with the dock having fixed audio this allows me to control the volume with my stereo and not have to worry about distortion or having to worry about what volume I have the G2 set to with using the headphone jack. I hate using the headphone jack unless I just have too for going through my stereo.