Home antenna instal and wire run.

Nov 19, 2009
Ky
I have an Pioneer XMp3 that should arrive soon and I want to start putting my system together and was hoping you nice folks could help me plan that out.

I am getting a home kit with the XMp3, what I want to do is put an antenna on my roof (piggy back on the mast for my TV antenna) and then run the wire about 50 feet and use a repeater (like the Delphi XM Signal Repeater).

I then want to have two docking stations in the house one in the Kitchen (hooked into a bose radio) and then one in the family room hooked into the home stereo.

• What roof Antenna should I get
• Can I use RG6 for the wire run or does it need to be something else.
• Do I need any type of a signal booster for a 50ft run?
• Does anyone have experience with the Delphi repeater could I pick up its signal in an outside work shed about 50 feet away.

Thank you in advance for your help. :clap:

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
What you will want is a heavy duty antenna for outdoor use. I would go with the Terk XM outdoor home antenna. It can be used with RG6 cable and will power up to 100ft without a booster.
Terk XM Outdoor Home Antenna XM6

As for the wireless repeaters, you will need to get one system that comes with the base and the other receiving end (antenna) and an additional receiving end (antenna) for this to work with two radios.
Delphi XM Signal Repeater
Delphi XM Signal Repeater Antenna

I think this repeater should work just fine for the use in the shed. 50ft isn't too far for the unit.

Nov 19, 2009
Ky
That sounds great, two more questions.

Is there a way for me to use the same RG6 that is there for the TV Ant (combine the Sat signal with the TV signal) and then split it once it is in the house. The wife would be happier if there was only 1 cable running into the house

Also I live near Cincinnati Ohio what direction should I aim the Terk XM Outdoor Home Antenna

Again thanks.:clap:

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
With most outdoor home antenna's, aiming isn't really an issue. Just get a clear shot of the sky. No interference in a 60 degree fan should get you the best signal. As for splitting the signal coming into the home, if this is a standard outdoor tv antenna it will not work. The signals are different and one will not work well with the other. I would just suggest running a new line indoors. It will cost less money and hassle in the long run.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Just curious...say your cable run is more than 150'...like in an office building. Is there any way to extend that length?

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
You can extend it, you will just need to amplify the signal somehow. What are you using. RG6 or a standard sirius antenna and cable? The two have different solutions.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
You can extend it, you will just need to amplify the signal somehow. What are you using. RG6 or a standard sirius antenna and cable? The two have different solutions.

The short story is that we used to have DirecTV here at the office. I now use cable. So, I have a pair of RG6 cables running from the old dish on the roof to my server room that I could run the signal over. From the server room, I could send the signal to my office using our house coax and a splitter/combiner set. That run is about 75 feet or so.

Nov 19, 2009
Ky
What you will want is a heavy duty antenna for outdoor use. I would go with the Terk XM outdoor home antenna. It can be used with RG6 cable and will power up to 100ft without a booster.
Terk XM Outdoor Home Antenna XM6

As for the wireless repeaters, you will need to get one system that comes with the base and the other receiving end (antenna) and an additional receiving end (antenna) for this to work with two radios.
Delphi XM Signal Repeater
Delphi XM Signal Repeater Antenna

I think this repeater should work just fine for the use in the shed. 50ft isn't too far for the unit.

Thanks Matt i ordered the antenna and the repeater from TSS. I ran the RG6 line today so now i am waiting on the mailman. I also need to find an extra home dock... Thanks for your help. :hw:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2009
Ky
Hey "My name is Matt " i received my shipment from TSS (thanks). Do you folks offer any kind of DC Power Extension Cable for the Delphi repeater. Where i want to place it requires a longer power run then what the original power supply allows for , i need about 6 more feet. I would rather not use a household ext cord because the DC power cord is small and fits the area better. :cool:

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Hey "My name is Matt " i received my shipment from TSS (thanks). Do you folks offer any kind of DC Power Extension Cable for the Delphi repeater. Where i want to place it requires a longer power run then what the original power supply allows for , i need about 6 more feet. I would rather not use a household ext cord because the DC power cord is small and fits the area better. :cool:

Unfortunately we do not carry an extension cord like that. I would just go ahead and use a household one. I know it looks a bit wonky, but it will do the job.