Holy Sh*t! That Was A Close Call!

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by HecticArt, Jan 10, 2009.

1. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

You will NOT believe this one.

I took the Mrs out for a bite of dinner after work tonight. It snowing pretty well, and we're supposed to have have somewhere between 8 to 10 inches by noon tomorrow. We hit the Claddagh Irish Pub at the mall. 15 minutes away from the house. The parking lot was much more full than I would have guessed for a snowy night, and the lot hadn't been plowed yet.

We had a decent meal and made our way out to the car. I started the engine and got back out to scrape the snow off of the windows. It took about 20 minutes to get home with the extra snow that had fallen while we ate. We listened to the FM because they played a couple of tunes that the Mrs likes, so what the hell. I pulled into the garage and got out of the car. My reflex is to grab my belt to make sure my cell phone and my SL2 are secure.

HOLY SHIT! No SL2! NO SL2! NO SL2! ! ! !

I know it was with me when we got to the restaurant. Total panic. I let the Mrs go into the house while I went back to the mall. I was kind of freaking out thinking that I must have dropped it in the parking lot. I was praying that I was in the restaurant.

It took 20 minutes to get back to the mall, driving too fast for the roads. I knew exactly where we parked, 4 aisles over from restaurant, about 7 or 8 spots back from the building. I thought that if I dropped it, it was going to have been picked up, run over, water logged, plowed away, buried till the spring thaw, oh crap. . . . Most of the cars were already gone and it was about 9:45 by now. I found the aisle, and spot. As I got closer I could see a beautiful black rectangle laying in the snow. Parked the car, jumped out, and ran over to it. (I swear it replays in my head like one of those slow motion scenes from a chick flick where the guy and the girl run to each other in a grassy meadow with wind blowing in their hair. You know the scene.)

I picked it up terrified that it had been run over.

I opened the Executive leather case, and holy shit, it was BEAUTIFUL! A late Christmas miracle for me. It was clean, dry, and unscratched.

I drove half way back home before I had enough guts to try it out. Music to my ears.

So the moral of this story is, never listen to the FM, and always know where your equipment is!

I don't know what I've done right lately to have this kind of karma, but I'm shoveling the neighbors walks tomorrow for sure.

Let's be careful out there people. Let's be careful.

IdRatherBeSkiing, DAB and hexagram like this.
  2. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Whew! That was a close one! Good karma, for sure.

3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow you had me on the edge of my seat.. I am going to give you some rep points back on the good Karma! WHEW!!!

4. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

Now that's a Happy Ending...

5. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

Good advice for any man. ;)

6. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

Glad you found it!

7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I'm glad that you found it, not damage or stolen.

8. HomieG

HomieG Member

Glad you found it. With that kind of luck, did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home too? ;)

9. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

I'm happy for you, I couldn't imagine loosing my Inno and having to listen to FM until I got a new one from TSS radio.

10. MM

MM Administrator

Nice story.

I'm glad your "baby" is ok.

I would of freaked out as well.

11. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Close call. Glad you found it.

I have had 1 close call with mine. In the winter I keep it in my inner winter jacket pocket and I was listening and skipped a song and put it back in the pocket. I missed the pocket and it went down. It stopped 2 inches off the ground because the antenna headphones ran out of slack. Headphones and SL2 were OK. If I had of had my earbuds they would have disconnected and it would have crashed. The only reason I had my antenna headphones was at the time I had an ear wax problem caused by ear plugs.

12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Thanks everybody.
    I couldn't believe that it was happening.
    And I really couldn't believe that it worked out like it did.

I would have been screwed if I had to buy a new one.

Let's hope this is a sign that 2009 is going to be a better year for everybody.

13. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I had actually dropped mine twice before. Both times in the garage. The first time I hadn't had a case for it yet and it well out of my pocket. It took a ding to the antenna area. The second time I had decided to use the Executive leather case that I bought for my old SL100. I had it clipped to my briefcase, but on the wrong side and caught it on my car door. It hit the ground again and slipped out of the case and took another scratch to the antenna.

I don't like the flap over cases for the SL2, so I modified my executive case with the clip past from my old SL100 belt clip so it wouldn't slip out again.

I'll try to post a picture of the mod later. It's not as crazy as the mods MeRubin does, but it looks pretty good and it works great.