Holiday Tunes?

MLBurks

Oct 30, 2008
It looks like Holly is replacing Cinemagic according to my DirecTV on screen guide on Wednesday. I hate to see Cinemagic go though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think they will have one channel very soon and then the rest will come online on Thanksgiving!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
DAB First thousand post! Congrats.
I hadn't even made my first K on the old SBS.

Wow I had not noticed!

ON your topic, I do think we'll see Holly coming on really soon. I always enjoyed this channel on XM. I guess this year it will be called Sirius XM Holly.

BluesGuy

Nov 10, 2008
Hectic

the way that Sirius does Holiday Music traditionally is they turn three channels over to Christmas Music--- Ch. 2 Starlite, one of the Country channels, and Sirius Pops (which plays classical selections like Handel's Messiah, etc.).

usually this programming begins the day after Thanksgiving, if I'm not mistaken.

however, this might all change with the channel realignment.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Hectic

the way that Sirius does Holiday Music traditionally is they turn three channels over to Christmas Music--- Ch. 2 Starlite, one of the Country channels, and Sirius Pops (which plays classical selections like Handel's Messiah, etc.).

usually this programming begins the day after Thanksgiving, if I'm not mistaken.

however, this might all change with the channel realignment.

I always thought it was Nov 1st (that's when one of the channels in Detroit that is also Starlite-esque starts). I would figure it would at least be the first first Nov weekend but Wed is good. I assume by then a lot more changes will be happening musically, too.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
One station in Philadelphia (97.5/WNUW) flipped to all-Christmas before Halloween. One or two stations in Milwaukee flip around Halloween.

That Philly station is trying to raise its profile in the market. It is a Philly market move-in from Trenton, NJ that recently flipped from smooth jazz to a female-friendly adult contemporary station.

It's a gimmick, but it works. It does tend to give a short-term boost to ratings. I'm not sure if there is actually any long lasting impact, however.

cartman2

Oct 30, 2008
IMO I think christmas music shouldn't be played on the radio until the day after thanksgiving. That is what all the FM stations here do that play christmas music do. We usually wind up with 2 all christmas stations one is warm 106.9 and the other is 105.3 the christian music channel.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
If you go to this link - http://www.sirius.com/pdf/channelguide.pdf - and look to the bottom left-hand corner, you'll see the list of upcoming holiday channels on Sirius. Looks like Holly has already started on channel 81.

They'll even have a channel devoted specifically to Hanukkah music...how exciting! I think the only Hanukkah song I know is by Adam Sandler..."The Chanukah Song".

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
That's impressive...a Hanukkah channel. XM had that last year, IIRC.

I wonder if they are going to run the Country Christmas Music channel this year.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I wonder if they are going to run the Country Christmas Music channel this year.

Well according to that channel lineup link I posted, they're not going to. Unless I'm missing something, looks like you'll get four channels of holiday music...Radio Hanukkah, Holiday Pop, Holly, and A Bing Crosby Christmas.

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008
anybody know what's going to happen on the XM side of things?
I looked at the XM channel listing and unlike the Sirius one which lists 4 stations (Holly, Holiday Pops, Hanukkah, Bing Crosby), XM's only lists Holly. Would this mean XM only gets 1 station this time around, or did whoever made the XM listing simply overlook the upcoming stations?