Holiday pay on 9/11?

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Union wants 9/11 off or extra $$ to show up - CNN.com

You have got to be kidding me. I could understand if they lost, at least, one life that day. I was in NY that day and I was also running supplies from NJ to NY in the evening. I should get a holiday if they do.

PEABODY, Massachusetts (AP) -- Police in Peabody, Massachusetts, could be getting holiday pay on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks in what may be a first-of-its-kind contract provision.

A proposed new contract between the city and the police union would make the anniversary a paid holiday. The proposed contract still needs budgetary approval from the city council.

Officers would receive an extra 25 percent pay for working September 11.
Representatives of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers and the International Union of Police Associations told The Salem News they knew of no similar contract provisions in any other city.

The New York Police Department, which lost 23 officers at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, does not recognize the day as a paid holiday.

A union representing 24,000 NYPD officers has tried during contract discussions to get extra pay for anti-terrorism work in the years since the September 11 attack but has been unsuccessful. Patrolmen's Benevolent Association spokesman Al O'Leary said the pay would be more appropriate than extra pay for one day.

No members of the Peabody force were killed on September 11, but some went to New York after the terror attacks to help the city recover.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I saw that on the news last night and was left scratching my head...:scratch:

Maybe, outside of the legal holidays, we should all just get a bunch of floating days to use as we see fit. If you need some time off on 9/11, no problem...use one of your floating days. You need a day off for your birthday, or because your neighbor's cat died? No problem...use a floating day.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
If it became a holiday it was just become misused horribly by businesses to get people to come into their stores for sales. Personally, I don't want to see it become a holiday for that reason alone.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
This is ridiculous. I really can't think of anything else to say...

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
If it became a holiday it was just become misused horribly by businesses to get people to come into their stores for sales. Personally, I don't want to see it become a holiday for that reason alone.

I can see it now...all the car dealers and furniture stores with their big 9/11 "blow out" sales...