hmmm, so between bubba and howard, we get a combined 5 live shows a week

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
wow, this makes me even more happy that i'm paying for this sh*t. hell, if we're gonna get this kinda nonsense, they might as well downgrade to one channel.

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
I don't get it, is Bubba only doing 4 days a week on Terrestrial??? Are they banking on people signing up for Sirius for the one uncensored show a week?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I don't get it, is Bubba only doing 4 days a week on Terrestrial??? Are they banking on people signing up for Sirius for the one uncensored show a week?

Bubba seems to think that if they stick around and let Sirius play their free show to Sirius subscribers, that when Howard retires they'll be able to step in Howard's place and win back the people they lied to two in 2008.

I think Sirius should try and buy up other terrestrial radio shows as "tester shows", just to see what type of free radio shows that subscribers would be willing to pay for.

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
Bubba seems to think that if they stick around and let Sirius play their free show to Sirius subscribers, that when Howard retires they'll be able to step in Howard's place and win back the people they lied to two in 2008.

He's high if he thinks that. The day Howard leaves I cancel and sub to XM's music-only option. No one is paying for Bubba on his own, and SiriXM knows it. Its why they won't pay him for his show - because no one pays to listen to him.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
He's high if he thinks that. The day Howard leaves I cancel and sub to XM's music-only option. No one is paying for Bubba on his own, and SiriXM knows it. Its why they won't pay him for his show - because no one pays to listen to him.

This was something Bubba said during the end of his show today. Hulk Hogan called in and briefly bashed Sirius for not signing up Bubba properly. Bubba laid out what he thought might transpire if Howard retires in two years.

Basically, he's in a holding mode until Howard retires. Bubba gets to play terrestrial radio again in two years when his contract comes up and he gets to play Sirius for two years until Howard retires.

Talk about being a mark.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)

I think Sirius should try and buy up other terrestrial radio shows as "tester shows", just to see what type of free radio shows that subscribers would be willing to pay for.

I agree. why would someone pay for something thats free?

It was always been my belief that sirius should have bought out bubba's testicular contract in order to put him on sirius exclusively. but it looks like they dropped the ball yet again. maybe if sirius hadn't spent so much money frivolously on other talent that brings almost no subscribers in or doesn't really appear on sirius, they'd be in better shape. #1 on that list IMO is eminem. he is never on sirius, yet they advertise the hell out of him. he hasn't even had a studio album in 4 going on 5 years now. its ridiculous. jamie foxx is another big name, but I have heard him doing his show many times. which is suprising given he's an a-list actor, comedian, and a singer. his channel has regular shows, so I can't knock it that much. at least with the mad dog signing, they finally got the idea that sirius needs more radio people that do actual shows 5 days a week instead of celebrities.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I agree. why would someone pay for something thats free?

It was always been my belief that sirius should have bought out bubba's testicular contract in order to put him on sirius exclusively. but it looks like they dropped the ball yet again. maybe if sirius hadn't spent so much money frivolously on other talent that brings almost no subscribers in or doesn't really appear on sirius, they'd be in better shape. #1 on that list IMO is eminem. he is never on sirius, yet they advertise the hell out of him. he hasn't even had a studio album in 4 going on 5 years now. its ridiculous. jamie foxx is another big name, but I have heard him doing his show many times. which is suprising given he's an a-list actor, comedian, and a singer. his channel has regular shows, so I can't knock it that much. at least with the mad dog signing, they finally got the idea that sirius needs more radio people that do actual shows 5 days a week instead of celebrities.

Agreed.

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
This was something Bubba said during the end of his show today. Hulk Hogan called in and briefly bashed Sirius for not signing up Bubba properly. Bubba laid out what he thought might transpire if Howard retires in two years.

Basically, he's in a holding mode until Howard retires. Bubba gets to play terrestrial radio again in two years when his contract comes up and he gets to play Sirius for two years until Howard retires.

Talk about being a mark.

No one accused him of being bright.

1. If SiriXM doesn't think he's worth the money now, why would they think differently in 2 years?

2. What makes him think SiriXM will be around in 2 years? Blaupunkt (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/04/ces-2009-preview-internet-radio-in-the-car/) just debuted the first in-car internet radio head unit. I still don't understand how internet radio can be delivered reliably and ubiquitously in a car, but I'm guessing they've figured it out.

The real issue is this: what are DJs really worth? The new PPMs have shown that guy talk shows have had over-inflated numbers for years. People just don't listen to them in the numbers that the diary system suggested. Further, there are an exponentially increasing number of entertainment options. The era of the gigantic, half-billion dollar payday is long gone; even Howard wouldn't get half of that in today's environment. Companies are looking at radio as a medium and are starting realize that it just doesn't pay no matter who's on the mic - the returns on the mega-salaries just aren't there anymore. Bubba should have realized this and have been thankful for what they were willing to pay him (which, btw, was probably over a million a year). Now, they'll drop him as soon as they figure out that his warmed-over terrestrial replays aren't worth even the small money they're paying for it (only this time, because he pissed them off, his fans won't care), and he'll be left with terrestrial, which will continue to reduce what its willing to shell-out for talent.

Its over Johnny, its over. But then again, it should be; this guy was always second rate and never deserved an nation-wide audience. Until Howard brought him over (as a way to offer harder-edged content to his fans who were complaining he went soft), no one outside of the armpit of America had ever heard of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: hank-the-dwarf

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
If people were going to stay if Howard retires in 2 yrs and Bubba was put in they sure as hell aren't going to now.
I'm here mainly for NASCAR so I'm here either way.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md

1. If SiriXM doesn't think he's worth the money now, why would they think differently in 2 years?

2. What makes him think SiriXM will be around in 2 years? Blapunkt (sp?) just debuted the first in-car internet radio head unit. I still don't understand how internet radio can be delivered reliably and ubiquitously in a car, but I'm guessing they've figured it out.

The real issue is this: what are DJs really worth? The new PPMs have shown that guy talk shows have had over-inflated numbers for years. People just don't listen to them in the numbers that the diary system suggested. Further, there are an exponentially increasing number of entertainment options. The era of the gigantic, half-billion dollar payday is long gone; even Howard wouldn't get half of that in today's environment. Companies are looking at radio as a medium and are starting realize that it just doesn't pay no matter who's on the mic - the returns on the mega-salaries just aren't there anymore. Bubba should have realized this and have been thankful for what they were willing to pay him (which, btw, was probably over a million a year). Now, they'll drop him soon when the figure out that his warmed-over terrestrial replays aren't worth even the small money they're paying for it, and he'll be left with terrestrial, which will continue to reduce what they're willing to shell-out for talent.

Its over Johnny, its over. But then again, it should be; this guy was always second rate and never a real star in the industry. Until Howard brought him over (as a way to placate his fans who had said he went soft and offer them harder-edged content), I'd never heard of him.
Well put

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008

The real issue is this: what are DJs really worth? The new PPMs have shown that guy talk shows have had over-inflated numbers for years. People just don't listen to them in the numbers that the diary system suggested. Further, there are an exponentially increasing number of entertainment options. The era of the gigantic, half-billion dollar payday is long gone; even Howard wouldn't get half of that in today's environment. Companies are looking at radio as a medium and are starting realize that it just doesn't pay no matter who's on the mic - the returns on the mega-salaries just aren't there anymore.

They might, and I suggest strongly the word might, they might think differently if their business is still intact after the blood shed of the upcoming year. With Howard in the catbird seat of his last year on radio, he'll either be making his year long swan song and "graceful" exit or he'll be bitching and moaning about having to do his job and he'll be floating rumor and innuendo about other radio offers. If the latter proves to be true, then I think Bubba won't stand a good chance of getting a big deal with satellite. If Howard is truly ready to move on, then Bubba staying where he is until the dust settles isn't a bad option, it's just a messy and painful one for his new satellite fans at the moment.

Radio is being sized up differently. Wireless technology and streaming is more likely the future. Satellite has proven over the last couple of years as being a slow moving dinosaur in almost every regard. At this point, satellite might think about getting into providing some "exclusive content" on iTunes for $1.99 a show to help get their name out into the world. Howard could sell hundreds of thousands of shows each week. It would be an excellent way to sell his Master Tape Theater shows as well.

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
They might, and I suggest strongly the word might, they might think differently if their business is still intact after the blood shed of the upcoming year. With Howard in the catbird seat of his last year on radio, he'll either be making his year long swan song and "graceful" exit or he'll be bitching and moaning about having to do his job and he'll be floating rumor and innuendo about other radio offers. If the latter proves to be true, then I think Bubba won't stand a good chance of getting a big deal with satellite. If Howard is truly ready to move on, then Bubba staying where he is until the dust settles isn't a bad option, it's just a messy and painful one for his new satellite fans at the moment.

The thing is, without Howard's endorcement, what's the difference between Bubba and any of the other half-dozen (or more?) other shows on SiriXM that I don't listen to? I've heard mention of other shows by members of this board (on other channels, etc.), but I've never heard them. There's nothing about Bubba that elevates him above those other shows. So why would he think that SiriXM would tap him to headline their content? Why not one of the other shows that they own? He's dillusional.

Good points on Itunes. Other shows do it (R&F and O&A both sell subs to podcasts of their shows). Honestly, five years from now no one's going to listen to radio, satrad or otherwise.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)

2. What makes him think SiriXM will be around in 2 years? Blaupunkt (CES 2009 Preview: Internet radio in the car - Autoblog) just debuted the first in-car internet radio head unit. I still don't understand how internet radio can be delivered reliably and ubiquitously in a car, but I'm guessing they've figured it out.

The real issue is this: what are DJs really worth? The new PPMs have shown that guy talk shows have had over-inflated numbers for years. People just don't listen to them in the numbers that the diary system suggested. Further, there are an exponentially increasing number of entertainment options. The era of the gigantic, half-billion dollar payday is long gone; even Howard wouldn't get half of that in today's environment. Companies are looking at radio as a medium and are starting realize that it just doesn't pay no matter who's on the mic - the returns on the mega-salaries just aren't there anymore. Bubba should have realized this and have been thankful for what they were willing to pay him (which, btw, was probably over a million a year). Now, they'll drop him as soon as they figure out that his warmed-over terrestrial replays aren't worth even the small money they're paying for it (only this time, because he pissed them off, his fans won't care), and he'll be left with terrestrial, which will continue to reduce what its willing to shell-out for talent.

Its over Johnny, its over. But then again, it should be; this guy was always second rate and never deserved an nation-wide audience. Until Howard brought him over (as a way to offer harder-edged content to his fans who were complaining he went soft), no one outside of the armpit of America had ever heard of him.

the major difference is in two years, given sirius is still around, is they'll no longer have that albatross of 100 mil per year invested in howard. which means, they will have a sh*t load of extra money to spread around, to people such as bubba etc. also with bubba growing on testicular radio, those are all additional subs he could bring to sirius if he were to become exclusive again, and with howard's departure, it seems that a large chunk of his audience like and are familiarwith bubba's show and would not be opposed at all to him taking his place and could easily accept that. I could for one. whereas, if they tried to pull some BS like have O&A replace howard, that would be a total clusterf*ck.

by the way, bubba's total deal between the two companies was 3 mil per year. I'm guessing he's getting 1.5 for each show. this was in 08. I have no idea what they're paying him @ sirius this year. if bubba were to get sh*tcanned due to the FCC, that would probably be the best thing to happen for us sirius subscribers. hopefully it will. I mean he will still get paid from both gigs, and he could do his sirius show live again. hopefully that happens to him for those reasons.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
the major difference is in two years, given sirius is still around, is they'll no longer have that albatross of 100 mil per year invested in howard. which means, they will have a sh*t load of extra money to spread around, to people such as bubba etc.

I submit to you that as soon as that "albatross" leaves, so does the shitload of extra money. I like Sirius, but I don't see myself subscribing to 3 subs if Howard leaves. I might keep one for the car, so Sirius loses $15 from me right off the bat. IHMO, the mass exodus of Sirius subs if/when Howard leaves is going to make Moses' little jaunt out of Egypt look like a 2nd grade field trip.