Hendrick says NO!

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
No crew chief change for the 88. Are things really that bad that a change had to be made anyhow? 19th in points after the first five with 21 more races until the chase, I don't think so.

Article link here --> Hendrick: No changes on 88 team | www.thatsracin.com

Change couldn't hurt but it would be better to do it early rather than later in the season, so to me if they don't do it now then don't do it this season.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
I guess Rick wants to keep getting mediocre finishes with a mediocre team, but hey he sells the most t-shirts, thats gotta count for something.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I guess Rick wants to keep getting mediocre finishes with a mediocre team, but hey he sells the most t-shirts, thats gotta count for something.

Rick is a business man so I'm sure thats part of it....
However, I'm sure his season will pick up. I'm actually starting to feel bad for the guy. Man, thats gotta be A LOT of pressure to be under. He's capable of winning, we all know that.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
There's no doubt he can win. I say he's better than two-thirds of the field. But there's something missing it seems. Something's not clicking.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Your right there is something missing.. a CC that can tell Jr to shut up nad drive. That what Tony Eury Sr did and he had 15 wins in 4 years with him. 1 win with Steve Hmeil and only 2 wins with Tony Jr. The same stuff happens over and over. The car starts out good and as Tony Jr has to adjust to the conditions he is just lost.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
So, that's the answer, shut up and drive? That's pretty simple. I hope Jr. reads this thread and all should be fine. Just joking Sub!

Anyhow, I do think that it is somewhat funny that I keep hearing and reading week after week about this constant conflict between the Jr's and how there is no communication. I listen to the scanner feed every weekend that I am at home or at the track watching the race and that's simply not the case. These shows that we listen to on SIRIUS will play a clip over and over so many times that we start to think that is the way all communications go on that team. I'd be will to bet you could find this sort of thing with almost any driver / crew chief combo.

I also find it entertaining and yet irritating that you have some of these shows playing the same soundbites over and over to stir up controversy and then they complain when they can't get off of the subject during their broadcast. Monday, driving home from Bristol, I must have heard the Kyle Busch statement and TMD's interpretation of that statement five or six times in the first hour of the show. I had to tune away from the show. I tuned back in a few minutes ahead of the 11:00am show only to hear the complaints about all of the Dale Jr.s calls. They directed their show towards those types of calls right off of the bat by harping on the Busch comments. /rantoff

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
If you're listening then you're hearing him tell his crew chief what the car is doing. The changes that are being made as a result of those discussions aren't translating well to the track as the race goes on. Your suggestion was to shut up and drive. Is that communicating? There are also many times in which he tells Eury Jr. what he thinks the car needs. That's nothing unique to Earnhardt Jr.

tsschmitten

Nov 13, 2008
Max Meadows,VA
I was also at the race at Bristol and listened to his scanner on Saturday during practice as well as during the race on Sunday. My conclusion is he is still struggling a bit with getting comfortable with this car and in turn the communication and translation are not completely there by either of them, they were off on 1 adjustment on Sunday which slowed his forward progress some, but he still started 40th and finished 14th at Bristol, which is an acceptable finish for the circumstances to me. The one thing I can't figure out is why the sky is falling when it comes to him and eury jr., they are 19th in points and 66 points out of 12th! Bad day by him at Daytona, blown motor at California and caught in green flag pit cycle at Vegas when caution came out! Is it really time to fire everybody? Dale Jr. a good race car driver that I hope becomes a great race car driver, but the reason I pull for him is he comes across as down to earth and layed back, but still has a lot of fire and passion about what he does! Just my two cents!

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
The one thing I can't figure out is why the sky is falling when it comes to him and eury jr., they are 19th in points and 66 points out of 12th! Bad day by him at Daytona, blown motor at California and caught in green flag pit cycle at Vegas when caution came out! Is it really time to fire everybody?

Exactly. 19th in points after the first five with 21 more races until the chase.

Where's all of the talk about Sadler, Biffle, Truex Jr., Newman, McMurray, Martin & Logano? :idunno:

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
Exactly. 19th in points after the first five with 21 more races until the chase.

Where's all of the talk about Sadler, Biffle, Truex Jr., Newman, McMurray, Martin & Logano? :idunno:

Good point, there are 40-something other drivers that are out there. I would love to hear some conversation about something else beside Jr. Do his fans know that when they want to talk about him non-stop, the media picks up and does more reporting on it, which increases the pressure on him?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Good point, there are 40-something other drivers that are out there. I would love to hear some conversation about something else beside Jr. Do his fans know that when they want to talk about him non-stop, the media picks up and does more reporting on it, which increases the pressure on him?

I was just trying to point out a few drivers that are in pretty much the same position as Jr. As far as what his fans or any fans want to talk about, I think that the talk is geared more towards what is pushed at the beginning of each day during TMD. I've had the opportunity to listen to TMD all this week. Outside of the All-Star race, this has been brought up every morning this week. And, I am not talking about the fans, I mean the hosts. 10 minutes into TMD's Monday morning show we were being told how Dale Jr. was being called out by Kyle Busch. We were played the audio tape endless times during segments of the show & a few times coming back from commercial. They pretty much drive the conversation of the day. The 11:00am show is a continuation of the morning topics for the most part.

He's my driver and I get sick of listening to the same crap all day about him. As far a pressure goes, in the words of Poole, you'll have that in big time auto racing!

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
DP it's not communicating if the changes Tony Jr is making based on what Jr is saying do not work.. that is my point the car consistently gets worse throughout the race. That is nt communicationg. Addington and Busch, Johnson and Knaus Edwards and Osbourne.. they all communicate.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
10 minutes into TMD's Monday morning show we were being told how Dale Jr. was being called out by Kyle Busch.

I really didnt understand how he was calling him out, just made a general statement in my opinion. Kyle's right about the fans and winning races. Hell JR would trade half of us off for the success that Kyle has had since the swap. As he should! I very rarely hear one of the "jr does no wrong calls" to ANY of the shows. JR Nation as a whole has some what of a bad wrap from a few idiots that call themselves fans. Its complete bullshit that gets blown out of proportion 99% of the time.

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
Not too long ago the talk was Letarte needed to be fired, he's the reason Gordon wasn't winning or doing good. Some of the drivers fans are never happy :)

I'm a Junior fan, win or lose. Would I like to see him win? You bet I would, but if he's not winning right now, it doesn't make me less of a fan nor am I ready to toss Eury Jr under the bus. I'm sure it will all work out, but if changes need to be made, then they will be made.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
They need to hire Jimmy Fenning away from Roush-Fenway. He's a championship crewchief, and David Reagan hasn't been able to do anything with him as his CC anyhow...:shock:

:)