Help! Sirius Internet Radio Player Not Working

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
Anyone know what's going on with the Sirius Internet Radio player? This morning when I log-on, my internet radio player isn't playing anything. Notice on the attached image, the area where the "timer" is normally located does not load. I definitely think this has something to do with it, but don't know how to fix it. Anyone else have this before and know what to do?

Thanks!

Attachments

• sirius.JPG
    sirius.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 14

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I've never seen that.
If you've done all the usual things like rebooting, clearing out your browser cache, etc., then I'd give customer service a call.

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
My first thought it was an IT issue being blocked or something (I'm at work), but everyone else's various radio stations they listen to are streaming fine.

Sirterp

Oct 17, 2008
Looks to me like there's a Windows Media Player issue. In fact, it looks like it's been removed.

Sirterp

Oct 17, 2008
Sorry. Should have made myself more clear. To me, it looks like tsave's IT folks have removed WMP from the PC. Note the blank area on the screen shot. That's where the WMP would normally show.

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
Hmmm....I do have WMP on my PC to open. Anyway to test that besides the Sirius stream? I guess I could throw in a CD and see if it players, but I do know normally Real Player is the default to open when CDs go in.

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
I'm on IE...like I said, it's worked for the past 1.5 years, and suddenly stopped on Monday, which leads me to believe it's an IT thing with maybe blocking a plug-in or something (yet the other streaming media stuff works still).

I put in an IT help ticket to see if they can resolve it. If they can't, I might have to pony up for an extra subscription and hope the repeater in the Harrisburg, PA area will be strong enough to give me reception inside my office building.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm on IE...like I said, it's worked for the past 1.5 years, and suddenly stopped on Monday, which leads me to believe it's an IT thing with maybe blocking a plug-in or something (yet the other streaming media stuff works still).

I put in an IT help ticket to see if they can resolve it. If they can't, I might have to pony up for an extra subscription and hope the repeater in the Harrisburg, PA area will be strong enough to give me reception inside my office building.

Install Firefox and that plug-in and give it a shot... If the same thing happens, then it's probably being blocked.

You could also try a third-party player like stream_ON (try that at least).

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
Yeah, sometimes they get finicky with installing stuff on the computer (it's a state government job). Anyone know of any web players that can stream Sirius that I wouldn't have to install? Maybe stream_on?

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
UPDATE: my one relative was having the same issue (beginning on Monday, as well)...he called to Sirius and they told him to re-download/update Windows Media Player. After doing so, it worked 100% fine.

I've checked with my IT people to update my WMP to see if that's the issue....if it is then great, I'll get my daily dose of Howard back. If not, I'm not sure what to do.

On a random note, I wish Sirius made a "test" receiver you could buy or rent to see if you would get signal where you are currently at (i.e. would I get signal from the repeater in Harrisburg from my non-window located cubicle).

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Offices can be tough. There tends to be a lot of electrical noise in offices. Plus, in my case, there is apparently a coating on the windows that's there for aesthetics and energy conservation that causes signal issues.

I have my antenna in the window, and I do get some drop outs here and there. The only solution would be to put it outside, which is not practical.