Help me!!

primetime34

Jan 31, 2009
I am caught as to what radio I want to buy. I had Sirius a year or so ago, and I think I'd like to start up again. It of course depends on the entry cost. :D

I would never listen to more than 50 channels, so a la carte is definitely the option for me.

I need to have the ability to do scheduled recordings, so I understand that my options are the SL-100, SL-10, and the Stiletto 2. What are the differences? I know they all have some advantages over the others. The Wi-Fi would be one (does it come on the SL-100 and the Stiletto 2?). I'd record 1-5 hours per day and listen to it. I'd probably want to be able to listen via wi-fi in the house so that might be important (once again, depending on price).

What is the main differences between the sl-100 and the stiletto 2? Are any/all of these radios going to work with a la carte? Thanks for indulging my long rambling post. :D

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I actually do not think the SL2 or Sl100 work with ala-carte, I THINK the starmate 5 is the only one that does right now? Not sure, though.

You would be correct. The only way to get a-la-carte is with a Starmate 5. Which limits your options if you want a portable radio or a radio with wi-fi to zero.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I haven't heard of any radios on the XM side that can do a-la-carte. It's limited to the Starmate 5 right now.

Joopster

Jan 31, 2009
If you want a portable and al la carte, I would just get a cheap starmate or something right now and then down the road when the stiletto 3 or something comes out it would be compatible.

primetime34

Jan 31, 2009
That kind of stinks...getting the starmate isn't really an option since I have to have scheduled recordings...can I get any package besides all of sirius on the stiletto 2/100? Thanks.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
That kind of stinks...getting the starmate isn't really an option since I have to have scheduled recordings...can I get any package besides all of sirius on the stiletto 2/100? Thanks.

The Starmate5 is the only Sirius A La Carte receiver. A listing of Sirius plans are at: SIRIUS Satellite Radio - More Packages

The blue highlighted hypertext will list more details about the packages, options and channel listings for each plan.

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
The Starmate5 is the only Sirius A La Carte receiver.

You are 100% correct. The Starmate 5 is the only Ala Carte Radio, which means if you just wanted some basic music channels and stuff a new subscriber could get in for only $6.99 per month. But you could also have the $9.99 plans or the $12.95 plan or the $12.95 plus best of XM plan for $16.99

The Sportster 5 is the most feature rich besides the Ala Carte feature. But keep in mind all the newer radios since about the Sportster 4 are capable of the $9.99 plans. See here. SIRIUS Satellite Radio - More Packages

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't bet the farm than any future radios will be a-la-carte compatible. It is something they had to promise to the FCC and they delivered. I don't think it is in their interest to make it widely available.

If you want to be on the Sirius Side, you will want an SL10, SL100, or SL2. The SL10 does not have WiFi or ability to store MP3s. The SL100 has 100 hours of recordings 50% of which can be used for MP3s. The SL2 has the same memory as the SL100 but allows the addition of an external microSDHC card. The SL2 also has greater Wifi support with the ability to connect to a g type WiFi network. The SL2 does have some recording issues which hopefully one day will be resolved.

If you want to go to the XM side, you can get an XMP3 which is simular in features to the SL2 except it has no WiFi. It can record 5 channels simultaneously however.